Genealogy Mtg. A Week From Sunday 1/13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008

       Marysville Cemetery Dedication Postponed

      Jane Paskowitz passes on word that the dedication of the Marysville Cemetery set for this Sunday, January 6, has been canceled due to weather conditions; it will be rescheduled in the spring.

      Video Virtual Tour of Lost German Synagogues

      Sunday, January 13, 10 a.m.

      It's estimated that in Germany alone, some 1400 synagogues were destroyed during the 1938 Kristallnacht, or shortly before or after.  Since 1995, at least a dozen of these synagogues that were lost have been virtually reconstructed on the computer by architectural staff and students at a German university.

      Bernie Goldberg, a retired English teacher from the Sacramento area, will present a film, “A Virtual Reconstruction of the Five Lost German Synagogues” at our January meeting.  The film, which has been shown throughout the country, showcases six synagogues in Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Plauen, Munich and Nuremberg that are among the 1400 lost during the Holocaust.

      The film is the beginning of a continuing effort to reproduce pixel by pixel the synagogues lost
      during the war.  Each viewing begins with an actual photo of the building, instantly transformed
      into the computerized view of the same.  The camera then transports viewers around the exterior
      and into the front doors, sweeping to the interior and ceiling, revealing the decorative art in full
      color.  The 22-minute film includes cantorial and choral accompaniment to add to the experience.

      Join us for a look at this inspirational film. The January 13th meeting will be held at 10 a.m. at the Albert Einstein Residence Center, 1935 Wright Street, Sacramento.  All are welcome to attend and to use the JGSS library collection.

      Where in Tarnation?

      From RootsWeb: RootsWeb user and artist Greg Clow has started a business locating towns, mountains, rivers, mines and other natural and manmade landmarks with customers' surnames, creating a unique design for each location/surname, and printing it on a wide assortment of products--from T-shirts to coffee mugs.

      "Some time back I found that there were a lot of people like me that had an average name, but couldn't find anything significant named after our family.  I found a '
      Clow Mountain' in California! I was really excited. And my kids were too. I am also an artist, so I designed a shirt and put the name "Clow Mountain" on it with the location. My kids loved it, and they wear it to school and show their friends. . . . So I put together a Web site so that other kids, and adults, could benefit from my searches. "

      Most of us won't find our surnames here, but he does offer items suitable for family reunions. Check out Clow's Web site, called "WhereInTarnation.com":www.whereintarnation.com.

      See You Sunday the 13th!