367See you this Sunday

    Aug 12, 2014

    Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento
    Sunday, August 17, 10 a.m.
    Conference Review Plus Video: "The Forgotten Refugees"

    Join us Sunday, August 17, at 10 a.m. to hear from several of our members who attended the recent Salt Lake City conference of the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies. They'll share what's new, highlights and other reflections from the annual meeting.

    And we'll also screen "The Forgotten Refugees."  It's a 49-minute film about the mass exodus of Jews from Iran and other Arab countries in the 20th century. "The film recounts the joy, suffering and significant cultural contributions made by Jews."  The Muslim world's Jewish population declined from one million in 1945 to several thousand today.

    TV Wednesday Evening:

    And Wednesday on TLC's "Who Do You Think You Are?" -- Valerie Bertinelli.  (9 p.m.)

    From Avotaynu's August 3 and 10 E-zines by Gary Mokotoff:
    Genealogyindexer.org Worth a Visit
    At the recently concluded IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy, I  [Gary Mokotoff] attended the lecture given by Logan Kleinwaks about his site, Genealogyindexer.org. It has grown to something quite remarkable. At the site you can search and view 456,000 pages of historical directories (business, address, telephone, etc., primarily from Central and Eastern Europe); 28,000 pages from 64 yizkor books (memorials to Jewish communities destroyed during the Holocaust); 32,000 pages of Polish and Russian military documents (lists of officers, casualties, etc.); 40,000 pages of community and personal histories; and 22,000 pages of Polish secondary school annual reports and other school sources. More genealogical resources are being added regularly.

    Kleinwaks permits Exact, Daitch-Mokotoff (D-M) Soundex and OCR-Adjusted searching. An unusual feature of his D-M Soundex searching is that he does not present his results in the sequence that he receives them, but instead ranks them according to how close they are to the exact search requested.

    The search engine at the site is very powerful. Click “Advanced” next to the “Search” button to view them. Included are “and,” “or” and “not” ability; wildcard searches; exact letters in soundex searches; phrase and proximity searches; other features.

    My most unusual use of his site was to discover a name in the 1914/1915 Galicia and Bukovina War Refugees Address Directory, Vol. III (excl. Lwow, Krakow) which included an entry that permitted a child survivor of the Holocaust to find more than 50 relatives living in Canada, United States and Israel.

    JewishGen Courses in the Near Future

    The JewishGen Education team will have three courses offered in the near future:

    - Beginning Genealogy in the U.S. (August 25) focuses on immigrant ancestors and their immediate families in the United States. This course is essentially a personal mentoring program through JewishGen’s conversational online FORUM. Students read/download lessons, then post an ancestral branch, set goals for their research, and work one-on-one with the instructor. Our forum is open 24/7; there are no set times because students are international. Tuition is $100

    - Basic 3 - Getting Organized (September 5) JewishGen offers a two week course with easy lessons on files and folders, handling your media files, getting ready to publish and much more. This Value Added Class course is open 24/7 on the JewishGen forum. You download the lessons and work on the exercises at your own speed. This class is available at no charge to Genners who have donated $100 within the last year. Otherwise, tuition is $18.

    - Basic 4 - Cite Your Sources (September 28) Wondering how to write citations for Internet sources? Confused by Ancestry.com, FamilySearch and JewishGen citations for the same records? Take a class. This course will cover the types of records, the evidence necessary for proof standards and practice writing citations that makes sure your records are preserved. This Value Added Class course is open 24/7 on the JewishGen forum. You download the lessons and work at your own speed. This class is available at no charge to Genners who have donated $100 within the last year. Otherwise, tuition is $18.

    Full course descriptions, requirements, tuition, instructors, as well as enrollment information is at
    http://www.jewishgen.org/education.

    Antique Telephones at SteveMorse.org Site
    Not everything Stephen P. Morse does involves genealogy, the Internet and databases. He has a yen for antique telephones. Morse has placed a page at
    http://stevemorse.org/telephones where inquirers can see which phone was used by which of his/her ancestors. My only complaint is that some are not antiques, but phones from my youth 70 years ago! (I tell people you know you are getting old when you walk into an antique store and everything looks contemporary.)

    Report on the 34th annual IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy

    http://avotaynu.com/Gifs/NWN/2014ConferenceLogo.jpgFor the first time in 20 years, I was able to act as an attendee at the annual
    IAJGS International Conference on Jewish Genealogy. Previously, I devoted time to being an exhibitor of Avotaynu books and our journal. Despite the fact that people consider me an expert on Jewish family history research, I learned a lot from the lectures I attended, because there are always new things on the Jewish genealogical scene. The conference is truly the premier event of the year and each year it gets better. The ability to network with people of common interests—eyeball to eyeball—learn from the experts in the more than 100 lectures, meet with Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and Birds-of-a-Feather (BOF) members and a host of other activities significantly advance your knowledge on how to do Jewish family history research. My wife, who is totally disinterested in genealogy, spent her time attending lectures on Jewish history and viewing films which were presented every day concurrently with the lectures.

    Electronics Age
    It is amazing how many innovations have been brought to the annual conference. The most remarkable for the attendee was the conference app. It allowed you to view on your smartphone or tablet the entire program and select which sessions you wished to attend. This was transferred to a calendar that showed your schedule for the day. Maps displayed the location of lecture rooms as well as the exhibitor hall and Share Fair layout.

    More than 300 people who could not attend the conference took advantage of the LIVE!! broadcast of lectures and events. This allowed them to participate in selected lectures and continue viewing them for up to 90 days after the conference.

    Even registration was simple. In the past it was not uncommon to have long lines at registration where volunteers would look up your name and print out name tags and other material. Registration at this conference took less than a minute. Just scan the bar code previous distributed to you and a laser printer printed out your name tag and all other applicable material.

    Awards

    The IAJGS Lifetime Achievement Award 2014 was given to Dr. Alexander Beider “in recognition of his many significant contributions to the specialized science of the origins and forms of proper names and surnames of persons as applied to the field of Jewish genealogy, as well as, for the scholarly works he has authored that have become indispensable reference resources for genealogists and families who are researching their ancestors.”
    As publisher of his works on names, I have had the honor of knowing him for more than 20 years He is a remarkable person whose initial doctorate in a natural science, applied mathematics, makes him unique in the social science fields of onomastics and linguistics. His new love is the origins of Yiddish. He has published numerous scholarly papers on the subject, and they are now being consolidated into a single book that will be published by Oxford University Press. Since this is a subject of interest to many Jews—certainly genealogists of Ashkenazic ancestry—I have asked him to write an intelligible companion book for us mere mortals. If there was a Nobel Prize for Jewish Studies, he would be a candidate.

    The IAJGS Program Award went to the Montefiore Census Digitization project which created a database of all five 19th century censuses that document the Jewish population of Eretz Yisrael between 1839 and 1875. Outstanding Publication Award went to the Jewish Genealogy Society of Long Island New York for its newsletter Lineage. The award for Outstanding Contribution to Jewish Genealogy via the Internet was given to Jewish Records Indexing – Poland which now has placed on the Internet an index to more than five million records from current and former territories of Poland

    Future Conferences
    http://avotaynu.com/Gifs/NWN/2015ConferenceLogo-1.jpgNext year’s conference will be in Jerusalem. It is worth noting that the original plan was to hold the annual conference in Jerusalem this year, because there was a tradition that the conference was held there every ten years in the year that ended in “4.” The Israel Genealogical Society needed an additional year to prepare, so the Jerusalem conference slipped to next year.
    The 2016 conference will be held in Seattle, Washington, August 7–12, and the 2017 conference in Orlando, Florida, July 23–28. There is talk of having the 2018 one in Eastern Europe.
    See you at our Sunday meeing, 10 a.m.