146Sunday the 18th ... Naturalization Records

    Jan 11, 2009

      Join us next Sunday for ….

      "Naturalization Rules and Records"

      Sunday, January 18, 10 a.m.

      Jewish Genealogical Society of Sacramento

      Area genealogist Barbara Leak will talk about the variety of naturalization documents we may find for our relatives.  The rules for becoming a U.S. citizen have changed, and the records created by the process vary.  Barbara will talk about the laws and share examples of the documents created by those who became Americans.  From these documents, we may discover new information or clues about our relatives.  This talk should prompt you to track down naturalization papers to fill in some of the blanks on your family tree.

      Barbara is a fifth-generation Californian with early-American ancestry.  She is a five-term former president of the Placer County Genealogical Society and has served as president of the Genealogical and Historical Council of Sacramento Valley.  She was a speaker at the recent 2008 Family History Day at the State Archives.

      Please join us for Barbara Leak's presentation on Sunday, January 18 at 10 a.m. at the Albert Einstein Residence Center, 1935 Wright St., Sacramento.

      Web site gathers millions of Jewish genealogy records online

      By Verena Dobnik | The Associated Press January 4, 2009

      A genealogy Web site has launched what it calls the world's largest online collection of Jewish family history records.

      Ancestry.com has partnered with two organizations for the project — JewishGen, an affiliate of
      New York's Museum of Jewish Heritage, and the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee.

      The online collection, ancestry.com/JewishFamilyHistory, features millions of historic Jewish records including Schindler's List — the names of almost 2,000 Jews saved by a German businessman who employed them. Their story was told in the Oscar-winning 1993 film.

      Many of the 26 million documents are online for the first time — from photographs and immigration data to a list of people who died in Nazi concentration camps.

      The Joint Distribution Committee says it has digitized records of displaced Jews who were provided with food, medical care, clothing and emigration assistance by the JDC.

      Interesting headstone …

      Bob Wascou passes on this link from JewishGen …check out the gravestone at the bottom of the page.

      http://www.jewishgen.org/romsig/BUCUREST%20Cemetery.html

      See you next Sunday the 18th!