RE: forestay length

  • drabin76
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013

      Hi Frank,

      You can see these measurements on Sailboatdata.com

      http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=775

      Estimated forestay length is 35.58 feet

      - Dan

      ---In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, <j28sailors@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Can someone tell me the forestay length of the J/28?  Say, w/out roller reefer.  Or how far up the mast (ie how far up the "I" measure) the forestay attachment point is?  Thanks!
    • Frank Wyman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
        Yes I've viewed that at sailboatdata.com ... BUT I believe that is wrong.  It states the rig is a masthead - which of course it is not, it is fractional - and I believe it uses that in it's naive estimate as sqrt of I squared + J squared (where I is mast height off deck and J is distance form mast to forestay attachment on deck).

        A related question I have is does ANYONE know of an available sketch of the J/28?  Can;t find one ANYWHERE!  ... Not one that has the entire boat: keel to top of mast, stem to stern, stays, and sailplan.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
          I just uploaded a J-28 Spec Sheet from J Boats that was published in 1996.  You can find it on the Yahoo group page under Attachments.  It lists the length of the headstay as 35' 6".

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
            ok I'm going with 35' 6" then.  Thanks.  I think I was wrong about "I" being height of mast...I think actually "I" is length from deck to forestay attaching point - and "H" is height of mast.  Thanks again.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
              i have the original brochure and  all it shows is the cabin and deck layouts. recommend you try al johnstone at J/boats. they should have one.

              Sent from my iPad