Follow up and progress on hull #8

  • wymanfrank
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2013
      I changed the flax for rudder shaft packing over to 1/2", which seems to be the exact perfect-match size. Shaft is tight with no slop in rudder yet shaft/wheel turns very freely. Of course will tighten retainer ring some after sailing a while and it all "settles in."

      Someone mentioned being able to go all the way down the rudder tube, like 6 or 7 feet, and finding 1-2 inches of water - likely condensation. So I thot I'd check mine. At about 20 inches down I have styrofoam. The styrofoam is in there tight. I suspect/hope it goes all the way to bottom and is in there by design so as to keep that condensation out. But I dunno. Others have this styrofoam in rudder shaft?

      Throttle lever has been sticking really REALLY bad since got boat - hard to even set it at idle. I unhooked from engine and engine control arm is fine so is either cable or lever housing in Edson pedestal. Scared to unhook the cable end at the lever cuz frankly not sure how to get into pedestal without a ton of work - and afraid might not get it all back together in there. So I used tons of oil and wd40 from the top (and gravity) both on top of cable and in the housing ends for the throttle lever attachment. Even tho the oil treatment has really worked pretty well and on a 0-10 scale the lever is working now at like a 6 (when it was a 2!). But of course I want it better so still might ant to take it apart. I really don't think its the cable - think its the actual throttle level housing. Anyhow, any good tracks to undoing the cable at lever? And if its not the cable, any tricks to undoing lever parts from the housing?

      Frank
      Hull #8 (Petit Mal) soon to be sailing in Charleston