Re: [J28Sailors] Rudder shaft flax size advice plz

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2013
      I used 7/16"...

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM, wymanfrank <wymanfrank@...> wrote:

      darn I just lost 15 minutes of typing by trying to attach a picture. I'll be brief and not try to attach anything this time!

      Rudder tip had 1/2 inch slop. Took out old shaft stuffing flax and with no flax the slop increased to 3/4 inch (just for reference). I had read here that 3/8 inch was proper size so that's what I'd bought and that's what I installed. I got slop basically to naught and wheel turns really smooth/easy. So am happy. BUT the picture I took showed a good deal of gap between flax and wall. So I'm thinking maybe 3/8 is NOT the proper size. The old flax was pretty gnarled but seemed to be 1/2 inch. What is the proper size flax to use? If it is 7/16 or 1/2 do you think I need to redo the job with the proper stuff?
      BTW I used the PTFE flax from West.
      Thanks!
      Frank
      p.s. would be happy to attach a picture if I knew how

    • John Power