RE: [J28Sailors] RE: Anchoring

  • Bill Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013

      David,

      I’m familiar with this approach and its pretty effective I admit.

      The concern I have is where I frequently anchor, the anchorage can be exceedingly crowded and deploying a second anchor after the anchorage has filled up can be next to impossible. This is compounded by the fact that when frontal systems move through the wind can over 24 hours clock all around through 360 and a second anchor to tame the bow can at this time foul the primary. The other challenge is, once again the anchorage can be soo crowded, that I must be able to swing about a primary as everyone else does, in order that I not be hit when the neighbors swing about their single hook.

      What you suggest is effective, and I’ve used it. I’m mainly looking at an alternative approach that permits me to anchor in the areas where I am forced to by the local conditions.

      Regards,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
        Hi Bill,

        Check out this article from our brothers over in the J-30 owners association.  It is about building a riding sail for a J-30, which has a nearly identical back stay setup as the J-28 does.

        Kurt

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Foster" wrote:

        > David,
        >

        > I’m familiar with this approach and its pretty effective I admit.
        >

        > The concern I have is where I frequently anchor, the anchorage can be exceedingly crowded and deploying a second anchor after the anchorage has filled up can be next to impossible. This is compounded by the fact that when frontal systems move through the wind can over 24 hours clock all around through 360 and a second anchor to tame the bow can at this time foul the primary. The other challenge is, once again the anchorage can be soo crowded, that I must be able to swing about a primary as everyone else does, in order that I not be hit when the neighbors swing about their single hook.
        >

        > What you suggest is effective, and I’ve used it. I’m mainly looking at an alternative approach that permits me to anchor in the areas where I am forced to by the local conditions.
        >

        > Regards,
        >

        > Bill

      • Bill Foster
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013

          Kurt,

          Will do, thanks for that.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
            Bill, I understand. Kurt, excellent reference. I may just try that myself.