Re: [J28Sailors] RE: Anchoring

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
      Hi Bill,

      J boats love to sail. There is an easy way so settle it down. Put out a second anchor at about 45 degrees off the bow. That works well. I also have a 22# Bruce and I use a 12# Danfourth for my second anchor. You don't have to worry about it dragging unless you tie off the stern - then watch out. My former 24 & 29 sailed at anchor and moorings much more the the 28 does. You'll get used to it and not to worry if you put out the second anchor. I usually anchor with the Bruce and if I feel I need less movement due to an approaching storm or whatever, I go out in my inflatable (which I always have in tow) and set the second hook. No big deal. Have fun Bill. I will be cruising all summer around Lake Ontario and anchoring most every night.

      On Jun 25, 2013, at 9:40 AM, "Bill Foster" <bill@...> wrote:

      My wife and I have had our 28 for a little over a year now and have not had a chance to cruise too much but we recently spent 4 days at Block Island so did have a chance to anchor through various tides, winds.

      I have sailed, cruised and anchored various other boats in the past, and feel the 28 spends a great deal of her time sailing around her anchor, and in fact her mooring. Has anyone else noticed this? She seems to tack back and forth through a good 90 degrees or even 120 degrees at anchor. I spent last Columbus day at BI on a mooring in 20-25 gusting 30 at night and she tacked then as well. Almost violently enough to bring on motion sickness.

      I am more concerned about the strain on the ground tackle and dragging, but the constant sailing about also gets disorienting imo. I presently use the 22 lb Bruce with 75’ of ¼” G4 chain and then 3/8” three strand nylon rode.

      Has anyone tried a riding sail or figured out how to rig one with the split backstay? Anyone noticed the same issue or find a solution to this character of the boat?

      My feeling is it is a combination of the forward mast location, combined with the generally high freeboard and in conjunction with such a large rudder, the boat is very prone to sailing about the anchor.

      Regards,

      Bill

      4 Hormones Making Us Fat?
      Learn how to control 4 hormones all skinny people have in balance.
      RealDose.com
    • Bill Foster
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013

        David,

        I’m familiar with this approach and its pretty effective I admit.

        The concern I have is where I frequently anchor, the anchorage can be exceedingly crowded and deploying a second anchor after the anchorage has filled up can be next to impossible. This is compounded by the fact that when frontal systems move through the wind can over 24 hours clock all around through 360 and a second anchor to tame the bow can at this time foul the primary. The other challenge is, once again the anchorage can be soo crowded, that I must be able to swing about a primary as everyone else does, in order that I not be hit when the neighbors swing about their single hook.

        What you suggest is effective, and I’ve used it. I’m mainly looking at an alternative approach that permits me to anchor in the areas where I am forced to by the local conditions.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
          Hi Bill,

          Check out this article from our brothers over in the J-30 owners association.  It is about building a riding sail for a J-30, which has a nearly identical back stay setup as the J-28 does.

          Kurt

          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Foster" wrote:

          > David,
          >

          > I’m familiar with this approach and its pretty effective I admit.
          >

          > The concern I have is where I frequently anchor, the anchorage can be exceedingly crowded and deploying a second anchor after the anchorage has filled up can be next to impossible. This is compounded by the fact that when frontal systems move through the wind can over 24 hours clock all around through 360 and a second anchor to tame the bow can at this time foul the primary. The other challenge is, once again the anchorage can be soo crowded, that I must be able to swing about a primary as everyone else does, in order that I not be hit when the neighbors swing about their single hook.
          >

          > What you suggest is effective, and I’ve used it. I’m mainly looking at an alternative approach that permits me to anchor in the areas where I am forced to by the local conditions.
          >

          > Regards,
          >

          > Bill

        • Bill Foster
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013

            Kurt,

            Will do, thanks for that.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
              Bill, I understand. Kurt, excellent reference. I may just try that myself.