Another Chainplate Story

  • jhoagg123
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2013
      I am now another one who has pulled my chainplates to rebed them. etc. Last year my purchase survey found some moisture in the deck around the chainplates, but not an excessive amount. That is what I have found. Starboard side core wet for an inch or two around the deck chainplate cutout and port side less so. The fiberglass itself in good shape. Dug out the wet core until got to good solid wood. Filling with epoxy should make that deck very strong. It's an interesting job and impressive to see the ruggedness of the bulkhead the plates bolt onto.
    • John Power
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2013
        Are you sure the moisture stops that close to the chain plate?

        When i did mine, I had a good amount of serious rot at the chainplate itself. My survey indicated moisture all down the lengthof the genoa tracks. but it was dry.
        IN hind site. I might have been able to dry the immediate area of the chainplate, but I doubt the real moisture would have dried out without opening the skin of the deck.  At least not in New England, but down in FL in the summer heat, it might be possible!

        I went for the long term fix and although a time consuming job, I think worth it for piece of mind in the long run.
        Bill Foster had good results with your method, and again in retrospect, I think you could go quite a while this way with no issues.  As you know from my posts here...I tend to worry too much so I thought I'd throw in my two cents

        Dave Hastings sent me a great article on chainplate Islands and I will be doing those next year.  Interesting to note that they are pretty standard on all the newer Js, Benneteau etc..

        I have some limited pics of my deck re core if you would like me to send

        JP

        On Jun 18, 2013, at 11:14 AM, jhoagg123 wrote:

        I am now another one who has pulled my chainplates to rebed them. etc. Last year my purchase survey found some moisture in the deck around the chainplates, but not an excessive amount. That is what I have found. Starboard side core wet for an inch or two around the deck chainplate cutout and port side less so. The fiberglass itself in good shape. Dug out the wet core until got to good solid wood. Filling with epoxy should make that deck very strong. It's an interesting job and impressive to see the ruggedness of the bulkhead the plates bolt onto.

      • Jeff Keen

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2013
            Hi Jeff and all,

            Am heading north tomorrow and should be on my boat (on the hard) by Friday. I will post some pictures of my chainplate islands by Saturday if it stops raining up there long enough.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
              Hello All,

              As promised, attached are a couple of photos of my chainplate islands. They look a little crude up close as I never took the time to fine sand and finish them. I originally painted them to match the off white deck and then last fall when I had a batch of epoxy paste filler mixed for some other project, I applied some to the sides and base area of my islands to fill in some voids. Thus, the two colors. Someday I'll finish them off to look a little better but today I simply snapped these quick pictures when I first arrived at my boat, some 1400 miles from home in Florida. I built them as described in the article I posted last year and after replacing, from the under side, a fair amount of rotted core around the chainplates (about a foot in all directions). My boat is now totally sound and totally leak proof.

              image.jpeg

              image.jpeg

              I'll post more photos to the gallery when I get a chance but right now I am concentrating on getting her prepared for launching next week.