Re: [J28Sailors] Portlights

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2013
      There is no balsa core. It's solid fiberglass. Mine leaked when I first got my boat so I took them out and discovered that two of the openings in the solid fiberglass were actually cut too large. Couldn't believe it from J. Anyhow, I built up the glass making the holes smaller and a good fit, and then reinstalled my port lights using  5200. I've never had a leak since.

      On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:46 PM, sailingmaster@... wrote:

      How do you remove the portlight form the hull?

      Mine do not leak at all, except the one right over where i sleep of course, but its minimal.  I assume I will succumb to this eventually.
      I tried to remove mine once and gave up when I could not figure out how to take it apart.  One of my leaks is in the screw the connects the flange onthe inside of the cabin to the one on the outside.
      I worry again about water here inthe balsa core....grrrrrrrr

      i am surprised select plastics did not offer a solution. they rebuilt the hatches on my boat and they are like new, highly recommended for anyone in need of this issue..not cheap!

      JP
      On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:34 PM, Bill Foster wrote:

      I believe your information is correct, the portlights are Bomar.

      I have contacted select plastics regarding a possible fix for them and Tony D’Andrea directed me to Tracey West at Bomar. She has worked at the company for many years and knows all about the issue. She informed me that unfortunately there is no direct replacement for the portlights or replacement gasket. She was very understanding but unfortunately could not provide an easy fix, ie: spare parts.

      Mine leak terribly and I am presently attempting to fix myself. If anyone else has better information or a solution please, please, respond, I would love to know.

      I can tell you what I am doing, attempting however.

      I have cut the gasket off, that seals the portlight when it is shut. I have purchased EPDM gasket material from McMaster-Carr and am bonding this to the aluminum frame to seal the portlight when it is closed. This seems to work for this issue, but the outstanding leak between lense and its aluminum surround still stands. I have acquired some Dow building silicone rated for the job and this weekend will be removing portlights, taping the lenses and using this to try to seal the lense to surround joint. On various forums this material has been recommended and I hope for positive results and would be happy to report on what comes of this approach. The split nature of these surrounds and frames seems to be the source, it there is a seam top and bottom, two pieces.

      From what I gathered from Bomar, the portlight design was rather quickly discontinued after too many problems.

      Again, anyone else with better/proven solutions please advise.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2013
        lol how did u get them out?
        thats the part i could not figure out...i took out all the screws and thought it would be easy...assuming they were originally put in with 5200.
        I have only one tiny leak so far, I am just curious as there has been a lot of discussion here regarding this problem

        bakc to the LASER  lol...no port lights!  :P
        On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:56 PM, David Hastings wrote:

[...]

        From what I gathered from Bomar, the portlight design was rather quickly discontinued after too many problems.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013

              David,

              Great stuff I hear too. I hope to do the same treatment to my new gaskets if all goes to plan. However my gaskets are soo tired they have totally cracked and split into two halves. What a mess. I suspect your treatment of them with the Lube will keep them happy for many years, its just a shame the previous owners of mine didn’t do it.

              Thanks for the idea though.

              Bill

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2013
                  Me too! Best deal that I could find was on eBay.

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/370828003764
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/200702090282
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/200702090761

                  Steve