Re: [J28Sailors] Re: More diesel questions

  • Jeff Keen
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 4, 2013
      I also have the original Martec folding prop and I get vibrations. Not too bad at 6 knots or slower but it worsens if I push it harder.  I have considered both a prop refurb and a new prop.  I got some quotes for geared folding props over the winter from Gori and Varifold and they ranged from $1200 to $2000 for two-blade versions.

      On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...> wrote:

      Hi
      I have a GORI folding prop shipped directly from Denmark
      I like it it works great
      If I was to change prop's now and had the Money I would check into the MAX prop
      You can go to their Web site "Max Propellers" they have a correct Size for your J28 Just put your
      Boat J28 and they will give you the correct Size.
      I would go for a 2 Blade Max
      Hans
      J28
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 5, 2013
        I just installed a flexofold two blade folder to replace my martec. What a difference. Reverse is now a command not a suggestion. I stopped and reversed from 4.5 knots in two boat lenghts. Vibration is still there but not nearly as bad. The yanmar still has a harmonic right around 1800 rpm but once past it smooths out a bit.

        John

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 5, 2013
          interesting comment on the reverse.....my new martec (which replaced some wierd fixed three blade) can stop the boat from full speed forward to dead stop in one boat length.
          maybe they props are better than the ones J boats originally used...

          my martec, is does everything they claim...with my fixed blade i had no prop walk, but now i do have some, which is actually nice in my marina because if I use the prop walk, I can spin the boat in very tight places and pivot within a boat length..

          the vibration was my main concern but it now seems that I have a normal amount and should not be too concerned.

          thanks to all for the advice and info.  I will get a max prop or gori next time I need a propeller though.
          I really appreciate this group, its a great sources of information

          Thanks
          again

          JP