Re: [J28Sailors] PHRF-LO

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2013
      I think it was 700# extra (7000 vs 7700 displacement std shoal respectively).

      Not 100pct certain, but that's my recollection.

      On Tuesday, June 4, 2013, David Hastings wrote:

      Thanks everyone for providing so much useful data on the PHRF rating. I appreciate the quick responses and feel well armed to present my case. I'll let you know what rated is assigned when I get mine. Also, some time back, someone mentioned the weight of additional ballast in the shoal draft boats. I have misplaced that info. Does anyone recall? Thanks.

      On Jun 3, 2013, at 8:37 AM, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

      Std draft fin PHRF Chesapeake rating:

      Base rating 174
      Max 155% Genoa LP +0
      RF Headsail Woven Dac/Poly +6
      Fixed Prop Solid 2 Blade +6
      SS Pole Max 10.50 +0
      SS Hoist Max 34.00 +0
      SS Girth Max 18.90 +0
      SS Luff Max 33.81 +0
      Full Batten Main +0

      Adjusted rating 186

      On Saturday, June 1, 2013, Tracy & Peter wrote:

      Greetings David    I race J28 #60 out of Queen City Yacht Club in Toronto.  Over the last 10 years my PHRF rating has gone from 196 down to 184.  Our rear commodore, in whom I have complete confidence, assigns the ratings.  My boat is not shoal draft, has an LP of

       16.24 and is equipped with a folding propeller. We also have no flying sails. I currently purchased a knew jenny,so my present rating may change,but I shouldn't think by much.  Hope this is of some help.     Peter Jones      416 323 1803     peter_tracy@...
      On 2013-05-31, at 6:50 PM, David Hastings wrote:

      Good evening all,

      If anyone has a PHRF rating, I would appreciate your sharing it with me. Please indicate what region you're in and also if your boat is shoal draft or not. I'm applying for my PHRF-LO rating on Lake Ontario and they have not data whatsoever. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2013
        David,

        In Narragansett bay my rating is 180 spin, 196 non spin. and I can sail to that rateing. My first rate was based at 150 and I appealed. I'll figure out how to attach the letter Rod Johnston wrote for me for my appeal.

        John Whaley

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2013
          To All: In the files section of this site I uploaded the letter from Rod Johnston. He wrote this in response to my question to him as to what rating a J28 should have. Good stuff.

          John W.

          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jfws88@...> wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > In Narragansett bay my rating is 180 spin, 196 non spin. and I can sail to that rateing. My first rate was based at 150 and I appealed. I'll figure out how to attach the letter Rod Johnston wrote for me for my appeal.
          >
          > John Whaley
          >
          > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I would be intersted in knowing the number too. I d like to start
          > > doing some single hand PHRF in my area (Long Island sound)
          > >
          > > I usually sail alone with the 135, 150 if its light
          > >
          > > my emails is sailing master at me.com
          > > On Jun 2, 2013, at 7:22 PM, mcclurejsteven wrote:
          > >
          > > > David,
          > > > Hull #62, Fiona has a GYA PHRF of 180. It seems fairly competative,
          > > > we missed silver by 20 seconds on the Dauphin Island Race this year.
          > > > We got two firsts and two seconds in the Mobile Bay winter Series. I
          > > > did not place in the Single Handed Regatta last week at Fairhope,
          > > > AL, but we got a third in the Ring Around the Bay yesterday. This is
          > > > our second year with the boat and we are still figureing her out. I
          > > > will scan our certificate and e-mail to you. There is also a boat in
          > > > Mobile and one in New Orleans. I am pretty sure the boat in New
          > > > Orleans is a hard core racer and has a certificate. I will also send
          > > > a link to the GYA PHRF roster.
          > > >
          > > > Steve
          > > >
          > > > smcclure@
          > > >
          > > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, David Hastings

          > > > with me. Please indicate what region you're in and also if your boat
          > > > is shoal draft or not. I'm applying for my PHRF-LO rating on Lake
          > > > Ontario and they have not data whatsoever. Any info would be
          > > > helpful. Thanks.

        • Tommy Koe
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2013
            Hi David,

            Even though I don't have a J/28 (yet) I am an avid sailor and do dream of when a J/28 will be sitting in my boat slip.

            To answer your question, about 10 months ago I was in an e-mail conversation with Alan Johnstone, and was inquiring about the Shoal Draft.  I am copying the e-mail that he had sent me.  I hope this helps.

            Tommy,

            Thanks for the message.  The J/28 was originally conceived as an introductory performance cruising J/Boat with large cockpit coamings, wheel steering, conservative size rig and a cabin that is nicely appointed with standing headroom.  My advice if you plan to race the J/28 are as follows:

            Go for the deep keel
            Carry very few (only essential) stores and/or extra gear on-board when racing (in other words keep it light)
            Get some new sails cut for your prevailing conditions... maximum size that is allowed by local PHRF regs
            Use a penalty spinnaker pole (18" longer than J dimension) and a corresponding spinnaker with larger mid-girth.
            Keep the bottom clean and very smooth.

            No question that the deep keel is better for racing as the boat will sail better upwind and accelerate better out of tacks all the time...this is from higher aspect ratio foil.  Again, this boat is designed as a comfortable cruiser, not a racer so you should balance your expectations for the race course with your comfort while cruising.  The standard rudder does indeed have 2" less draft than the standard shoal draft keel.

            Unfortunately we have no specific record of the pour weights for the keel castings.  The original deep keel is designed to weigh 3,000 lbs. and the shoal draft keel would have been designed to weight slightly more than this... (approx 3,200 lbs).

            Best Regards,

            Alan Johnstone
            J/Boats, Inc.

            Sincerely,