Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Automatic Bilge Pump Thru-Hull

    Message 1 of 24 , May 28, 2013
      I use a rubber mast boot that i got at west marine and some big hose clamps (the blocks at my mast partner is pretty tight.. I also tape over that with vinyl elec tape.
      I have a tight sail cover as well and get almost not water down from the mast.

      my bilge is very dry even with the stuffing box, but now u all have me worried abouthe thru hulls for the drains and bilge pump...
      another project!
      Dunno if i wanna do a thru hull in a cored boat...

      On May 28, 2013, at 10:28 PM, Jerry Nulton wrote:

      That's surprising. If we get a good seal, we stay dry.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 28, 2013, at 8:45 PM, David Hastings <david.hastings@...> wrote:

      Jerry, I've tried that but it appears that most of the water cones down the inside. I welcome anny suggestions.

      Dave Hastings

      On May 28, 2013, at 7:17 PM, Jerry Nulton <nultonj@...> wrote:

      Mast tape is the key to eliminating rainwater from the mast.

      Jerry Nulton
      O: 207.636.1464
      M: 207.651.0585
      Intl: +44.7770.459.524

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 28, 2013, at 6:58 PM, David Hastings <david.hastings@...> wrote:

      I was worried about my galley sink drain also. Last year I priced out sea cocks and after recovering from that experience, went to Ace Hardware and bought a brass gate valve for $12.95. It's 1 1/2" as was the sink drain. I easily installed it right at the thru hull and now feel much better about that drain. Yea, it takes a few turns to close it but at least now I can close it if necessary.

      I put as short extension on the end of my manual bilge pump hose so it extends to the bottom of the bilge and I also use that pump most of the time as my bilge fills up with rain water from down the mast and ice chest water. Works fine and is convenient.

      I'm getting excited as I will finally be heading north from Florida to Lake Ontario in late June to spend the summer racing and cruising my boat. Pretty sure I'll be sailing it south next season. I plan to make this my thorough check out year and really put the boat thru it's paces. Sure enjoy all this discussion and all the helpful tips. Keep um coming

      Dave Hastings

      On May 28, 2013, at 3:29 PM, "Bill Foster" <bill@...> wrote:

      JP,

      I too had no valve on my galley sink drain. My insurance company wanted one, and with its proximity to the waterline I feel there should be one, so I finally got around to it this year, 1.5” bronze valve, which is overkill for the galley, but at least its dealt with.

      My manual pump suction is pretty low in the bilge, so as a rule I use this to pump out whenever there is a need, as you say when the icebox ice melts, or in my case when the rain ingress via the mast warrants it. Otherwise I find with the PSS dripless shaft seal I never need to pump.

      Bill

        Message 3 of 24 , May 29, 2013
          Well I figure I'll chime in with my bilge set-up. I have 3 pumps, 1 whale gusher manual, 1 automatic rule and 1 manual rule. (used to be the head drain pump. The two Rule pumps are tee'd together and run out of the bilge, starboard side down the hull next to the fuel tank and are then tee'd into the manual pump fitting thru hull at the stern. This set up works but really isn't perfect as that a long way for a rule pump to move the water. They don't generate a lot of head pressure. Each one of the rules have there own check valve and finding one that takes little pressure to open was a challenge. I love McMaster Carr. The manual rule works off a switch on the DC panel and I really only use it when I want to empty the bilge quick. I also keep the auto switch in manual because I don't trust the float switch to shut the pump off all the time. Most of my bilge water comes from the icebox but I do get water down the inside of the mast. I never see water leaking from the mast/deck joint. The only salt water in the bilge comes from the stuffing box.

          John Whaley

          Message 4 of 24 , May 29, 2013
            Speaking of Fun, if anyone ever figures out how to change the hose from the head drain to the bilge without ripping the whole thing out please share.

            John

          • Bill Foster
            Message 5 of 24 , May 29, 2013

              Good question John. I second that, as I would like to change from a drain to a sump and dedicated pump arrangement.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                you reading my mind...mine drains slowly...

                I have been near suicidal this year as a larger guy trying to get into the bilges and engine compartment to do work.

                Have you ever heard the joke  " why is divorce so expensive?........cause it WORTH it"
                subititute Boatyard for Divorce and thats about right!

                Bill Foster gets the award!  Pulling the whole engine and changing the shaft seal....BRAVO.
                I am afraid I may need a cutless bearing soon, at which point I will replace the seal as well....See my "joke" above!

                JP

                Message 7 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                  I have a dedicated sump for the shower drain...but getting to the hose under the floor is the mystery

                  !

                • Bill Foster
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 29, 2013

                    Perhaps a simple plastic plumber snake, one of the Zip-It Bath types from home depot will do the job to clear the line, going in from the bottom where the hose enters the bilge?

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                      All the head drains will be slow, there's almost no elevation change from the head to the bilge. I'd like to change the hose because it smells. And at least twice a year I take the drain cover off at blast the hose/drain clear with my dock hose. And if yours is like mine the drain isn't the lowest point in the head so there's a little puddle in the corner that I sponge up.

                      John

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                        Never have used my bilge drain even though I live on my boat in the summer. I use Lake Ontario for my "shower" and although it's a little on the chilly side, there's no clean up afterwords.

                        On May 29, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "John" <jfws88@...> wrote:

                        All the head drains will be slow, there's almost no elevation change from the head to the bilge. I'd like to change the hose because it smells. And at least twice a year I take the drain cover off at blast the hose/drain clear with my dock hose. And if yours is like mine the drain isn't the lowest point in the head so there's a little puddle in the corner that I sponge up.

                        John

                        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

                        > you reading my mind...mine drains slowly...
                        >
                        > I have been near suicidal this year as a larger guy trying to get into
                        > the bilges and engine compartment to do work.
                        >
                        > Have you ever heard the joke " why is divorce so
                        > expensive?........cause it WORTH it"
                        > subititute Boatyard for Divorce and thats about right!
                        >
                        > Bill Foster gets the award! Pulling the whole engine and changing the
                        > shaft seal....BRAVO.
                        > I am afraid I may need a cutless bearing soon, at which point I will
                        > replace the seal as well....See my "joke" above!
                        >
                        > JP
                        >

                        > On May 29, 2013, at 12:37 PM, John wrote:
                        >
                        > > Speaking of Fun, if anyone ever figures out how to change the hose
                        > > from the head drain to the bilge without ripping the whole thing out
                        > > please share.
                        > >
                        > > John
                        > >
                        > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@ wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > second reply....
                        > > >
                        > > > Now you all have me thinking I need to do what David did...I am
                        > > > dreading it so STOP talking about these things! I just replaced the
                        > > > pressure water pump last weekend and almost got trapped in the
                        > > bowels
                        > > > of the boat...
                        > > > I have spent way too much time this year in places WAY too small
                        > > for a
                        > > > 6'3 250lb human! why is everything in a place you cant reach and
                        > > need
                        > > > to be miserably uncmfortable to work on?
                        > > > I swear boat yards hire anorexic elves that can be held upside
                        > > down by
                        > > > their ankles in order to access these place!
                        > > >
                        > > > Speaking of fun...has anyone ever tried to replace your engine
                        > > control
                        > > > cables inside the pedestal....THAT is REAL fun! I had to replace
                        > > mine
                        > > > when mine broke on the way into CAPE COD CANAL...the cable was
                        > > rubbing
                        > > > against the chain for the steering and eventually, friction wore
                        > > right
                        > > > thru!.....hahahha
                        > > >
                        > > > GOD i love boats!

                        > > down to
                        > > off
                        > > hump.

                        > > used to
                        > > heeled. I

                        > > Service 10.

                        "Gain 600% More Muscle"
                        Try America's #1 New Muscle Builder. FREE Shipping! Use Code: MUSCLE
                        C9T11.com