Automatic Bilge Pump Thru-Hull

  • j28boat13
    Message 1 of 24 , May 28, 2013
      I'd like to get feedback from the group regarding the location of the thru-hull for an automatic bilge pump(s). My manual cockpit pump exits the stern, but my automatic pump exits the hull just above the waterline on the starboard side. It looks like it used to be joined in with the head sink discharge, but has it's own line now. The fact that it is so close to the waterline makes me a bit concerned, since it is well under water when the boat is heeled. I may look to make some changes but wanted to see what others have setup.

      Thanks,
      Jeff Keen
    • Bill Foster
      Message 2 of 24 , May 28, 2013

        Jeff,

        My boat currently has the auto bilge discharge still T’d in with the sink discharge via the common thru hull. I hate this arrangement. I wish I had the separate thru hull you have and might look to do the same.

        Does you’re auto bilge discharge hose loop up through a siphon break? It should have this worked into the arrangement to prevent back siphoning into the bilge. Your concern is valid if you do not have this loop and siphon break above the waterline, in a heeled or upright condition.

        I can’t figure out how to arrange the siphon break and loop in my boat, because the sink counter is too low. So I have been looking to possible run the hose aft and T it into the galley drain or manual bilge pump drain. But the length of hose can be problematic as well.

        Bill

        I'd like to get feedback from the group regarding the location of the thru-hull for an automatic bilge pump(s). My manual cockpit pump exits the stern, but my automatic pump exits the hull just above the waterline on the starboard side. It looks like it used to be joined in with the head sink discharge, but has it's own line now. The fact that it is so close to the waterline makes me a bit concerned, since it is well under water when the boat is heeled. I may look to make some changes but wanted to see what others have setup.

        Thanks,
        Jeff Keen

      • Tom Quinlan
        Message 3 of 24 , May 28, 2013
          What you describe sounds like the standard original setup. My boat is the same and I have never had a problem

          Tom Quinlan
          Voodoo Child
          hull#22

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 24 , May 28, 2013
            Tom, thanks for your input.

            Bill, I don't have a vented loop yet in the auto bilge discharge, but I'm planning to install one. Currently, there is a check valve, but I know that's not a good setup. You make a good point about the low sink counter, and I was trying to think through the same issue. My thought is that I could locate the vented loop as high and as inboard as possible, to raise it above the heeled waterline.

            The galley sink discharge is another consideration, but it too is right at the waterline on my boat. The water from the sink may have a tougher time overcoming a vented loop since it is not pressurized. Not sure if one would be needed though.

            Jeff

            --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Foster" <bill@...> wrote:

            > Jeff,
            >
            > My boat currently has the auto bilge discharge still T'd in with the sink
            > discharge via the common thru hull. I hate this arrangement. I wish I had
            > the separate thru hull you have and might look to do the same.
            >

            > Does you're auto bilge discharge hose loop up through a siphon break? It
            > should have this worked into the arrangement to prevent back siphoning into
            > the bilge. Your concern is valid if you do not have this loop and siphon
            > break above the waterline, in a heeled or upright condition.
            >

            > I can't figure out how to arrange the siphon break and loop in my boat,
            > because the sink counter is too low. So I have been looking to possible run
            > the hose aft and T it into the galley drain or manual bilge pump drain. But
            > the length of hose can be problematic as well.
            >

            > Bill

          • Ryhal & Associates, Inc.
            Message 5 of 24 , May 28, 2013

              I had water in the bilge last season several times.  Installed a check valve in the bilge line which solved the problem.  Noticed several inches of water in the sink this past weekend, but we were running a lot of water past the rails on the starboard side so the elevation of the sink must have been near the water line at some point.

              Bob

              Aventura

              Hull # 47

              Baltimore

              Message 6 of 24 , May 28, 2013

                Jeff,

                If you figure out how to mount a vented loop for the bilge please advise, its been on my list now for a year.

                I think in the original setup with the sink T’d in, the though was the sink would act as the “vent” in the top of the look. This is pure speculation on my part.

                It seems the sink must be just high enough that when heeled, it does not fill? Has anyone noted the sink filling when sailing hard on a port tack?

                My arrangement has the check valve, but its no longer functional, needs to be replaced. The issue I have had is the sink when used drains to the bilge, it’s a 50/50 shot if it goes overboard or to the bilge. And draining the sink to the bilge is just not a good idea. So ive been trying to figure the best arrangement to adopt, that I can do practically while still being safe.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 24 , May 28, 2013
                  Mine had an additional hole thru the hull, right next to the sink hole, for the bilge. Last year I filled in that hole and ran my bilge thru the sink which has a drain shut off located above the tee. I did a ark in my bilge hose up to the counter and then down to the tee. Thus, my sink no longer drains into the bilge, the shut off keeps the sink dry while sailing and the bilge has a one way valve at the connection to the pump in case any water gets past the hump. It works fine but I much preferred my installation in my prior J29 where I ran the bilge out thru the transom.

                  Dave Hastings

                  On May 28, 2013, at 10:16 AM, "j28boat13" <sendtokeen@...> wrote:

                  I'd like to get feedback from the group regarding the location of the thru-hull for an automatic bilge pump(s). My manual cockpit pump exits the stern, but my automatic pump exits the hull just above the waterline on the starboard side. It looks like it used to be joined in with the head sink discharge, but has it's own line now. The fact that it is so close to the waterline makes me a bit concerned, since it is well under water when the boat is heeled. I may look to make some changes but wanted to see what others have setup.

                  Thanks,
                  Jeff Keen

                  BlackBerry Enterprise
                  Get details on managing devices w/BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10.
                  BlackBerry.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 28, 2013
                    Interesting discussion.

                    I have a check valve, and my bilge is T'd to the sink in the head, both drain overboard with no issue.  The galley sink has always worried me, it has a LARGE hose with no seacock on the thru hull.
                    I never get anywater in either sink (that I know of) when sailing.  my bilge pump only works when the icebox drain and stuffing box generate enough water to raise the float swtch...practically never.

                    I was concerned after I put in a  new bilge pump (rule) that there was a graphic saying NO check valve.  (of course these things come with practically no instructions, just pictures)The pump works fine with the check valve, so maybe that needs to be looked at.

                    Id be intersted in seeing what others come up with, OTH none of us have sunk .....yet  :)

                    what do peoples manual pumps look like down in the bilge..I have a large 2' hose that is just under the floor, I hope the water never gets high enough for me to need this!  I have never tried it as id practically have to have the cabin sole under water for it to have something for the intake!

                    JP

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 28, 2013
                      second reply....

                      Now you all have me thinking I need to do what David did...I am dreading it so STOP talking about these things!  I just replaced the pressure water pump last weekend and almost got trapped in the bowels of the boat...
                      I have spent way too much time this year in places WAY too small for a 6'3 250lb human!  why is everything in a place you cant reach and need to be miserably uncmfortable to work on?
                      I swear boat yards hire anorexic elves that can be held upside down by their ankles in order to access these place!

                      Speaking of fun...has anyone ever tried to replace your engine control cables inside the pedestal....THAT is REAL fun!  I had to replace mine when mine broke on the way into CAPE COD CANAL...the cable was rubbing against the chain for the steering and eventually, friction wore right thru!.....hahahha

                      GOD i love boats!

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 28, 2013

                        JP,

                        I too had no valve on my galley sink drain. My insurance company wanted one, and with its proximity to the waterline I feel there should be one, so I finally got around to it this year, 1.5” bronze valve, which is overkill for the galley, but at least its dealt with.

                        My manual pump suction is pretty low in the bilge, so as a rule I use this to pump out whenever there is a need, as you say when the icebox ice melts, or in my case when the rain ingress via the mast warrants it. Otherwise I find with the PSS dripless shaft seal I never need to pump.

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 28, 2013
                          I was worried about my galley sink drain also. Last year I priced out sea cocks and after recovering from that experience, went to Ace Hardware and bought a brass gate valve for $12.95. It's 1 1/2" as was the sink drain. I easily installed it right at the thru hull and now feel much better about that drain. Yea, it takes a few turns to close it but at least now I can close it if necessary.

                          I put as short extension on the end of my manual bilge pump hose so it extends to the bottom of the bilge and I also use that pump most of the time as my bilge fills up with rain water from down the mast and ice chest water. Works fine and is convenient.

                          I'm getting excited as I will finally be heading north from Florida to Lake Ontario in late June to spend the summer racing and cruising my boat. Pretty sure I'll be sailing it south next season. I plan to make this my thorough check out year and really put the boat thru it's paces. Sure enjoy all this discussion and all the helpful tips. Keep um coming

                          Dave Hastings

                          On May 28, 2013, at 3:29 PM, "Bill Foster" <bill@...> wrote:

                          JP,

                          I too had no valve on my galley sink drain. My insurance company wanted one, and with its proximity to the waterline I feel there should be one, so I finally got around to it this year, 1.5” bronze valve, which is overkill for the galley, but at least its dealt with.

                          My manual pump suction is pretty low in the bilge, so as a rule I use this to pump out whenever there is a need, as you say when the icebox ice melts, or in my case when the rain ingress via the mast warrants it. Otherwise I find with the PSS dripless shaft seal I never need to pump.

                          Bill

                          Bill, I don't have a vented loop yet in the auto bilge discharge, but I'm planning to install one. Currently, there is a check valve, but I know that's not a good setup. You make a good point about the low sink counter, and I was trying to think through the same issue. My thought is that I could locate the vented loop as high and as inboard as possible, to raise it above the heeled waterline.

                          The galley sink discharge is another consideration, but it too is right at the waterline on my boat. The water from the sink may have a tougher time overcoming a vented loop since it is not pressurized. Not sure if one would be needed though.

                          Jeff

                          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Foster" <bill@...> wrote:

                          > Jeff,
                          >
                          > My boat currently has the auto bilge discharge still T'd in with the sink
                          > discharge via the common thru hull. I hate this arrangement. I wish I had
                          > the separate thru hull you have and might look to do the same.
                          >

                          > Does you're auto bilge discharge hose loop up through a siphon break? It
                          > should have this worked into the arrangement to prevent back siphoning into
                          > the bilge. Your concern is valid if you do not have this loop and siphon
                          > break above the waterline, in a heeled or upright condition.
                          >

                          > I can't figure out how to arrange the siphon break and loop in my boat,
                          > because the sink counter is too low. So I have been looking to possible run
                          > the hose aft and T it into the galley drain or manual bilge pump drain. But
                          > the length of hose can be problematic as well.
                          >

                          > Bill

                          "New Way to Build Muscle"
                          The Bizarre Approach to New Muscle Growth and Belly Fat Loss...
                          HLifestyles.com
                        • Jerry Nulton
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 28, 2013
                            Mast tape is the key to eliminating rainwater from the mast.

                            Jerry Nulton
                            O: 207.636.1464
                            M: 207.651.0585
                            Intl: +44.7770.459.524

                            Sent from my iPad

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 28, 2013
                                  I use a rubber mast boot that i got at west marine and some big hose clamps (the blocks at my mast partner is pretty tight.. I also tape over that with vinyl elec tape.
                                  I have a tight sail cover as well and get almost not water down from the mast.

                                  my bilge is very dry even with the stuffing box, but now u all have me worried abouthe thru hulls for the drains and bilge pump...
                                  another project!
                                  Dunno if i wanna do a thru hull in a cored boat...

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                                      Well I figure I'll chime in with my bilge set-up. I have 3 pumps, 1 whale gusher manual, 1 automatic rule and 1 manual rule. (used to be the head drain pump. The two Rule pumps are tee'd together and run out of the bilge, starboard side down the hull next to the fuel tank and are then tee'd into the manual pump fitting thru hull at the stern. This set up works but really isn't perfect as that a long way for a rule pump to move the water. They don't generate a lot of head pressure. Each one of the rules have there own check valve and finding one that takes little pressure to open was a challenge. I love McMaster Carr. The manual rule works off a switch on the DC panel and I really only use it when I want to empty the bilge quick. I also keep the auto switch in manual because I don't trust the float switch to shut the pump off all the time. Most of my bilge water comes from the icebox but I do get water down the inside of the mast. I never see water leaking from the mast/deck joint. The only salt water in the bilge comes from the stuffing box.

                                      John Whaley

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                                        Speaking of Fun, if anyone ever figures out how to change the hose from the head drain to the bilge without ripping the whole thing out please share.

                                        John

                                      • Bill Foster
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 29, 2013

                                          Good question John. I second that, as I would like to change from a drain to a sump and dedicated pump arrangement.

                                          Bill

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                                            you reading my mind...mine drains slowly...

                                            I have been near suicidal this year as a larger guy trying to get into the bilges and engine compartment to do work.

                                            Have you ever heard the joke  " why is divorce so expensive?........cause it WORTH it"
                                            subititute Boatyard for Divorce and thats about right!

                                            Bill Foster gets the award!  Pulling the whole engine and changing the shaft seal....BRAVO.
                                            I am afraid I may need a cutless bearing soon, at which point I will replace the seal as well....See my "joke" above!

                                            JP

                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                                              I have a dedicated sump for the shower drain...but getting to the hose under the floor is the mystery

                                              !

                                            • Bill Foster
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 29, 2013

                                                Perhaps a simple plastic plumber snake, one of the Zip-It Bath types from home depot will do the job to clear the line, going in from the bottom where the hose enters the bilge?

                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                                                  All the head drains will be slow, there's almost no elevation change from the head to the bilge. I'd like to change the hose because it smells. And at least twice a year I take the drain cover off at blast the hose/drain clear with my dock hose. And if yours is like mine the drain isn't the lowest point in the head so there's a little puddle in the corner that I sponge up.

                                                  John

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 29, 2013
                                                    Never have used my bilge drain even though I live on my boat in the summer. I use Lake Ontario for my "shower" and although it's a little on the chilly side, there's no clean up afterwords.

                                                    On May 29, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "John" <jfws88@...> wrote:

                                                    All the head drains will be slow, there's almost no elevation change from the head to the bilge. I'd like to change the hose because it smells. And at least twice a year I take the drain cover off at blast the hose/drain clear with my dock hose. And if yours is like mine the drain isn't the lowest point in the head so there's a little puddle in the corner that I sponge up.

                                                    John

                                                    --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

                                                    > you reading my mind...mine drains slowly...
                                                    >
                                                    > I have been near suicidal this year as a larger guy trying to get into
                                                    > the bilges and engine compartment to do work.
                                                    >
                                                    > Have you ever heard the joke " why is divorce so
                                                    > expensive?........cause it WORTH it"
                                                    > subititute Boatyard for Divorce and thats about right!
                                                    >
                                                    > Bill Foster gets the award! Pulling the whole engine and changing the
                                                    > shaft seal....BRAVO.
                                                    > I am afraid I may need a cutless bearing soon, at which point I will
                                                    > replace the seal as well....See my "joke" above!
                                                    >
                                                    > JP
                                                    >

                                                    > On May 29, 2013, at 12:37 PM, John wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > Speaking of Fun, if anyone ever figures out how to change the hose
                                                    > > from the head drain to the bilge without ripping the whole thing out
                                                    > > please share.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > John
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@ wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > second reply....
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Now you all have me thinking I need to do what David did...I am
                                                    > > > dreading it so STOP talking about these things! I just replaced the
                                                    > > > pressure water pump last weekend and almost got trapped in the
                                                    > > bowels
                                                    > > > of the boat...
                                                    > > > I have spent way too much time this year in places WAY too small
                                                    > > for a
                                                    > > > 6'3 250lb human! why is everything in a place you cant reach and
                                                    > > need
                                                    > > > to be miserably uncmfortable to work on?
                                                    > > > I swear boat yards hire anorexic elves that can be held upside
                                                    > > down by
                                                    > > > their ankles in order to access these place!
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Speaking of fun...has anyone ever tried to replace your engine
                                                    > > control
                                                    > > > cables inside the pedestal....THAT is REAL fun! I had to replace
                                                    > > mine
                                                    > > > when mine broke on the way into CAPE COD CANAL...the cable was
                                                    > > rubbing
                                                    > > > against the chain for the steering and eventually, friction wore
                                                    > > right
                                                    > > > thru!.....hahahha
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > GOD i love boats!

                                                    > > down to
                                                    > > off
                                                    > > hump.

                                                    > > used to
                                                    > > heeled. I

                                                    > > Service 10.

                                                    "Gain 600% More Muscle"
                                                    Try America's #1 New Muscle Builder. FREE Shipping! Use Code: MUSCLE
                                                    C9T11.com