Re: [J28Sailors] Teak Handrails

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6 6:13 AM
      The previous owners or my boat had the hatches all replaced with new Lexan.  IT was done by a CT company called Select Plastics.

      IF you come up with any ideas about buffing the companionway slider and weather board I would like to know.

      For those of you that asked about my deck recore project, it has stalled due to my work schedule, Ill be going ahead full speed and will send Pictures etc asap

      JP
      On Apr 5, 2013, at 10:02 PM, Jeff Keen wrote:

      Brad,

      I removed my handrails this winter to refinish them.  The foremost two fasteners on both sides are screws. The fasteners aft of the first two are bolts, which I think are double ended and hold the interior handrails as well. I was able to remove the cabin top rails without messing with the interior ones.

      I can't comment on your other questions. Who did you use for the hatch lexan replacement?

      Jeff

      On Friday, April 5, 2013, taylorbj28 wrote:

      Has anyone removed or replaced their teak handrails? Are they screwed to the deck or bolted through or a combination? Also, I had the lexan replaced in the main cabin hatch, expensive but really nice. That was crazed pretty bad. The companionway drop board is not crazed but is hazy. Any experience polishing or buffing it back clear? Thank you, Brad Taylor

    • taylorbj28
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16 5:26 PM
        Jeff,

        Sorry to take so long to reply . . . Select Plastics in Ct. did my hatch. How did you remove the exterior handrails without disturbing the interior ones? Except for the two forward loops, are they bolted through to the interior ones? How did you remove the teak bungs?

        Thank you,
        Brad
        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Keen <sendtokeen@...> wrote:

        > Brad,
        >
        > I removed my handrails this winter to refinish them. The foremost two
        > fasteners on both sides are screws. The fasteners aft of the first two are
        > bolts, which I think are double ended and hold the interior handrails as
        > well. I was able to remove the cabin top rails without messing with the
        > interior ones.
        >
        > I can't comment on your other questions. Who did you use for the hatch lexan
        > replacement?
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > On Friday, April 5, 2013, taylorbj28 wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Has anyone removed or replaced their teak handrails? Are they screwed to
        > > the deck or bolted through or a combination? Also, I had the lexan replaced
        > > in the main cabin hatch, expensive but really nice. That was crazed pretty
        > > bad. The companionway drop board is not crazed but is hazy. Any experience
        > > polishing or buffing it back clear? Thank you, Brad Taylor

      • Jeff Keen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17 7:02 AM
          Brad,

          Thanks for the hatch information.  The teak bungs on my handrails likely were glued in with the varnish dip method, so removal was fairly easy.  My rails were not varnished but the bungs were put in this way.  I used a skinny flathead screwdriver to punch through the bungs and break them up.  Make sure that you pay attention to the seam along the perimeter of the bung.  If the bung sticks too much, it will want to carry some of the handrail teak with it, creating a chip around the hole.  I found that scoring along the seam with a box knife or punching through along the seam helped avoid this problem.

          I bought new 5/8" Teak Plugs from WM and shaped them to fit each hole. Kind of tedious work but not too bad, just make sure you line up the wood grain in the same direction.  Once they are glued in (with varnish for me), I plan on using a wood rasp to shape the tops, then will sand the plugs and oil those areas.

          The thru-bolts do go through to the interior rails.  I imagine they are double-ended bolts with nuts inside both interior and exterior rails, but I'm not 100% sure.  I was able to remove the nuts on the exterior rails without the bolt twisting.  It my case, the bolts were snug enough as they passed through the cabin roof that I did not have to remove the bungs on the interior rails to access the nuts.  The interior rails stayed in place from the friction of the bolts through the roof.

          Now I'm getting ready to rebed the rails and planning to use 3M 4000 UV sealant.  Boat US recently put out a good article on sealants.  http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/April/how-to-pick-the-right-sealant.asp

          Good luck,
          Jeff