Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Questions for the group

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2013
      I LIKE SIMPLE TEAK OIL FOR THE WASE OF USE AND CLEAN UP....MY QUESTION IS MORE HOW TO GET THE OLD STUFF OFF WITH MINIMAL MESS AND EFFORT
      (MAYBE IM DREAMING AND SHOULD JUST GET OUT THE SANDPAPER....LOL)

      On Mar 8, 2013, at 12:49 PM, David Hastings wrote:

      I've always used Semco teak sealer on my top sides. It's easy to apply and maintain as it has no oil but it does require a couple of applications per season.

      On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:32 AM, hansandsharon@... wrote:

      Hi John,
      I have used CETOL on my Boats and still using it on My J28, I use sandpaper and on top I can use an electric sander
      Then two coats of new CETOL after a season I just brush on some on the top and it works well for about 3 years
      in my climate on Lake StClair Michigan area
      Good luck, let us know how you make our with all of it
      Hans
      J28
      "Last Dance"

        Can't help with the first two questions, but on the third: you might think about trying a heat gun and sharp scraper. I have read if you are careful with the heat gun (not to burn the wood), this can be good way to remove the old finish. I am going to try it on my exterior teak.

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "John" <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

        > Hello all
        >
        > Anxiously awaiting spring here and in full speed mode to make some repairs and get the boat cleaned up for launch in mid april... assuming it will stop snowing in CT at somepoint.
        >
        > First question, has anyone here done any re-core of their decks, specifically at the chainplate.
        > My sureveyor thought my decks were showing moisture from the chainplates to the cockpit.
        >
        > Bad news is a lot of SOAKED rotted core, around the stb chainplate and a litte on the port side
        > but the rest of the deck is bone dry. I have the hanging locker out and am GOING IN, from underneath. Does anyone know what thickness the balsa to use? and tips or advice for refinishing the ceiling after this is done? The repair is going much quicker and easier than I thought...just trying to gather as much info from anyone that has done this. David Hastings did this repair on his boat and has a lot of good ideas i can forward if anyone else is "in the same boat" as me :)
        >
        > Second question, Any good advice re removing old 4200 from the fasteners and deck before I re bed the the hardware?
        >
        > Third question. The preovious owners used Cetol on the wood work, I have to admit that for the past two years I have not had time to keep it up so its time to strip off and start over. I hate the chem strippers to begin with and since the deck is opened up and drying the use of water etc is out of the question at the moment....any thoughts
        >
        > Thinks spring....some day ill get a new genoa!

        "How To Get More Muscle"
        Spikes Muscle Growth 6% in 10 Days -- But Is It an Unfair Advantage?
        HLifestyles.com

      • taylorbj28
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
          John,

          I have been trying to buff out gelcoat oxidation with a buffer and Rule Restorer and Wax. Not sure how it will last. Did you wet sand,then use rubbing compound, then polish?? I am trying to do it in one step. Advise?

          I also am thinking of repairing some wet balsa around my port chainplate (10" square)from underneath so as not to damage the deck from the top. I would love to hear how this is going for you!

          Thank you,
          Brad Taylor

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
            I am presently re-coring the area around my chainplates.  I suspect that ALL of the boats have this issue to one degree or another.
            You can probably live with it for a while. I plan on keeping the boat for a good length of time and wanted to prevent it from getting any worse.

            I got a lot of help from David Hastings. If you email me directly, I will send you the advice he gave me. Its rather long to post here, but very helpful. He was very kind to take the time to walk me thru it.
            my direct email is sailingmaster@...

            When I bought the boat, my surveyor said there was moisture at the chainplates and the tracks.  I am happy to say the area around the tracks is dry as far as I can tell. They are removed and I have drill afew extra inspection holes and
            find just dry balsa.

            Around my chain plates was another story. The core around the chainplates was completely soaked about 1 foot forward and aft rand inboard to the cabin side.  There was a lot of rot in the area immediately at the chainplate.
            At first, I tried the short cut method of drilling holes in the deck, drying and re epoxying (see Don Casey et al)  DO NOT DO THIS!  The area will not dry and you will probably find more rot than you think is there. You will assuredly find wet core.  Due to my haste, I am going to end up with a visible painted section in my deck.

            After my mistake, I decided to go in underneath.  I cut away a section of the headliner aft of the bulkhead on both side (chain plates already removed) and then I opened up a section of glass to expose the core, this let me see what was really going on inside the deck. I removed a lot of wet core and found still good but wet core that I was able to dry with a fan and space heater.

            Next, on the starboard side, I removed the hanging locker and repeated the same process on the forward side of the bulkhead. This was not too difficult, but a royal pain in the ass just figuring how to get it detached!!  I am about to do the same to port, but I cannot seem to get the cabinet out, even after removing all the fasteners.  I may work thru the cabinet door though..luckily on my boat the moisture/rot was much worse on the stbd side and I suspect there is very litte to remove to port.

            I would recommend investing in a FEIN MULT-TOOL l to do the cutting and removal of the glass/balsa. It is much better than the copies and does the job NEATLY and quickly with little mess and not blowing dust all over the cabin.

            Next I am going to epoxy new balsa in place.  There are two schools of thought on this. One is pressing a large section of balsa back in and bracing to hold it in place. the other is to put it in in smaller pieces, wetting out,
            then coating the balsa in thickened (to peanut butter consistency)and simply working a small section at a time. Then fill any gaps with thickened epoxy, sand and cover with new glass. I am going to use the second method based on David Recommendation and the fact that it is not a structural area that needs a lot of strength.

            When cutting out the glass, I am told that you can be carefu land save the original cut out out piece and re lamintate it when the job is done.........good luck with that!  The glass around the rot came out easily, but ther rest was still solidly bonded to the wet balsa and was a royal pain to separate, In the end, i found it  easier to section out in smaller areas, cleaning as you go with a shop vac)

            There are several epoxies you can use. West is the best known, but its very brittle once hardened.  You can use West GFlex, which stays a little more pliable and will work if there is a littel moisture still there.
            I also checked out Smiths and MAS.  I ended up with the MAS based on recommendations from some boat builders at a local show (they were the ones that explained the differences to me.)

            I am going to use Smith's CPES to seal the wood around the holes for the genoa tracks and then re-bed with 3M 4000. Many use 4200, but it will not bond with both METAL and FG.  Again, another save but the
            boat builder guys.

            I am going to start taking some photos, and will post soon on the yahoo page

            Let me know if I can help you further. I was going to try to buff  out my gel coat this year, but due to this project there will not be enough time before I launch late april. I would like to know what your find out for next season

            JP

            On Mar 24, 2013, at 6:02 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:

> [...]

            > > > Second question, Any good advice re removing old 4200 from the fasteners and deck before I re bed the the hardware?
            > > >
            > > > Third question. The preovious owners used Cetol on the wood work, I have to admit that for the past two years I have not had time to keep it up so its time to strip off and start over. I hate the chem strippers to begin with and since the deck is opened up and drying the use of water etc is out of the question at the moment....any thoughts
            > > >
            > > > Thinks spring....some day ill get a new genoa!

          • Jeff Hoagg
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2013
              Brad,
              You will find the degree of oxidization will determine how you must deal with it.  Yes, very light oxidization can probably be removed in one step with the a cleaner/wax.  But even moderate oxidization will require two steps.  First some type of rubbing compound (light duty or heavier duty) applied by machine, and then a polish/wax.  Finally, if you have heavy oxidization, there is simply no way around 3 steps to get good results:  1) wet sanding 2) compounding 3) polish/wax.

              If what you are currently using is not yielding good results, then it simply isn't aggressive enough.  Just about  any amount of oxidization requires that you actually remove a very thin top layer of the (oxidized and compromised) gelcoat.

              If you have moderate oxidization, don't hesitate to first use a rubbing compound with a machine.  Yes, the extra step takes time, but the buffing/polishing  machine at least does a lot of the work for you. If you have heavier oxidization, and really want to restore the shine, etc. of the gelcoat, don't be afraid of wet sanding.  It does take time and effort, but the results are worth it if you want to bring back the shiny gelcoat look.   And wet sanding is not rocket science.  It can sound a bit scary, but simply using the right grit wet/dry paper and a few simple tips make it much easier than it sounds.

              I found some really good "how-to" articles with specific useful tips I can send you if you like.

> [...]

              > > > Second question, Any good advice re removing old 4200 from the fasteners and deck before I re bed the the hardware?
              > > >
              > > > Third question. The preovious owners used Cetol on the wood work, I have to admit that for the past two years I have not had time to keep it up so its time to strip off and start over. I hate the chem strippers to begin with and since the deck is opened up and drying the use of water etc is out of the question at the moment....any thoughts
              > > >
              > > > Thinks spring....some day ill get a new genoa!

            • j28boat13
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                Brad,

                I'm going through the gelcoat restoration process on my J28 as well. I'm following the guidelines that Maine Sail posted on sailnet. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html. This may be one of the links that Jeff referenced. I found it very helpful.

                Good luck!

                Jeff

                --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Hoagg <jhoagg123@...> wrote:

                > Brad,
                > You will find the degree of oxidization will determine how you must deal with it.  Yes, very light oxidization can probably be removed in one step with the a cleaner/wax.  But even moderate oxidization will require two steps.  First some type of rubbing compound (light duty or heavier duty) applied by machine, and then a polish/wax.  Finally, if you have heavy oxidization, there is simply no way around 3 steps to get good results:  1) wet sanding 2) compounding 3) polish/wax.
                >
                > If what you are currently using is not yielding good results, then it simply isn't aggressive enough.  Just about  any amount of oxidization requires that you actually remove a very thin top layer of the (oxidized and compromised) gelcoat.
                >
                > If you have moderate oxidization, don't hesitate to first use a rubbing compound with a machine.  Yes, the extra step takes time, but the buffing/polishing  machine at least does a lot of the work for you. If you have heavier oxidization, and really want to restore the shine, etc. of the gelcoat, don't be afraid of wet sanding.  It does take time and effort, but the results are worth it if you want to bring back the shiny gelcoat look.   And wet sanding is not rocket science.  It can sound a bit scary, but simply using the right grit wet/dry paper and a few simple tips make it much easier than it sounds.
                >
                > I found some really good "how-to" articles with specific useful tips I can send you if you like.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • taylorbj28
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                  John,

                  Sure, I would welcome the articles and tips! Thank you, Brad

                  --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Hoagg <jhoagg123@...> wrote:

                  > Brad,
                  > You will find the degree of oxidization will determine how you must deal with it.  Yes, very light oxidization can probably be removed in one step with the a cleaner/wax.  But even moderate oxidization will require two steps.  First some type of rubbing compound (light duty or heavier duty) applied by machine, and then a polish/wax.  Finally, if you have heavy oxidization, there is simply no way around 3 steps to get good results:  1) wet sanding 2) compounding 3) polish/wax.
                  >
                  > If what you are currently using is not yielding good results, then it simply isn't aggressive enough.  Just about  any amount of oxidization requires that you actually remove a very thin top layer of the (oxidized and compromised) gelcoat.
                  >
                  > If you have moderate oxidization, don't hesitate to first use a rubbing compound with a machine.  Yes, the extra step takes time, but the buffing/polishing  machine at least does a lot of the work for you. If you have heavier oxidization, and really want to restore the shine, etc. of the gelcoat, don't be afraid of wet sanding.  It does take time and effort, but the results are worth it if you want to bring back the shiny gelcoat look.   And wet sanding is not rocket science.  It can sound a bit scary, but simply using the right grit wet/dry paper and a few simple tips make it much easier than it sounds.
                  >
                  > I found some really good "how-to" articles with specific useful tips I can send you if you like.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Hans Andersen
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4, 2013
                    Hi All
                    Question: : Does the chain plates bolts go thru solid fibreglass on the bulkhead?
                    I also have issue with some moisture around the deck around the change plates
                    I don't want to loose the mast
                    Hans
                    J28 Last Dance.
> [...]

                      > > > Second question, Any good advice re removing old 4200 from the fasteners and deck before I re bed the the hardware?
                      > > >
                      > > > Third question. The preovious owners used Cetol on the wood work, I have to admit that for the past two years I have not had time to keep it up so its time to strip off and start over. I hate the chem strippers to begin with and since the deck is opened up and drying the use of water etc is out of the question at the moment....any thoughts
                      > > >
                      > > > Thinks spring....some day ill get a new genoa!

                      Ugly Truth About Fish Oil
                      Simple test shows if your fish oil delivers or is wasting your money.
                      RealDose.com