Re: I'm a J/28 Newbie

  • jfws88
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2009
      Hi Lenny, Great site. I've been waiting for something like this but don't jave the skills to set it up.

      Goog choice on the prop, what was the PO thinking, A three blade prop? any way, I repalced my traveller three years ago with a guerhuar set up and it works great. pretty inexpenseive too. Eventully I'll make a list of the little things I've done and when I get my camera back I'll include some pictures. These are fun boats and easy to sail. I go out frequently by myself and race with a crew of four (spinnaker) or two canvas class.
      Jason Smith and I are both at about the same spot in a rubber bearing replacement you should check it out. Jason has taken some great pictures of the process.
      http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a.html

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

      > First, a confession: I started this site but am the least experienced with J/28s of anyone in our initial group (which now numbers seven, although not everyone has yet signed up). I've been sailing for 48 years and have owned many boats, including a Ranger 23, Dufour 31, Morgan 383, and most recently a Tartan 31, plus numerous sailing dinghies -- a Lightning, Jet 14, Laser, Hobie 16, O'Day Daysailer, and Melonseed skiff. Still have the Melonseed, which I sail on the lake where we live, in Belgrade, Maine. I've raced aboard J/24s but never owned one.
      >
      > I like to do low-key racing with the Rockland Yacht Club and cruising the Maine coast, mostly from Penobscot Bay to Frenchmen Bay, just east of Bar Harbor. The J/28 seems ideal for that, especially if I want to do some singlehanding.
      >
      > I looked at one J/28 for sale last spring near Newport, RI, and really liked the design. Then I found the boat I wanted to buy in Oriental, NC, about mid-summer, and later had it trucked to Maine. It has sat on the hard here since then, awaiting the upcoming season, which starts in early June. (I know that may be hard for some of your Southerners to believe.)
      >
      > The former owner (who bought the boat second-hand in 1990) replaced the Martec prop with a fixed three-bladed monster, so item number-one has been to get a folding prop. I've ordered a VariFold, primarily because I saw one at the Maine Boatbuilders' Show in Portland a few weeks ago, liked it a lot, and the importer (it's made in Britain) is located on the Maine coast. I'll let you know how it works when I've had some experience with it.
      >
      > I'm also going to get a GPS chartplotter and will upgrade the traveler when I can afford it. No doubt issues will come up as the boat goes back together for launch, beginning in a month or so, and I am hoping to get good advice from the folks on this site.
      >
      > Thanks! Lenny

    • Lenny Reich
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
        From John --
        > Jason Smith and I are both at about the same spot in a rubber bearing replacement you should check it out. Jason has taken some great pictures of the process.
        > http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a.html

        That's all very interesting. Great photos, Jason.

        Jason -- For those of us not yet experiencing play in the rudder bearing, do you still recommend hitting both of the zerk fittings with grease in the spring?

        Thanks for your input -- Lenny
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
          At this point, I would recommend greasing the bearing, provided grease fittings are present.  I've heard from a couple of owners of the lack of zerk fittings on their J/28s.  I don't think I would add them, if not already in place.

          Delrin, I've learned, is fine on it own without grease and the water will provide lubrication.  It's my thought that the grease is a means of displacing water, which will help prevent corrosion of the stainless steel sleeve.  It also might help tighten up any slop present from wear of the delin bushing.

          There has not been any further progress made;  a roller bearing is going to run $1000+, probably closer to $1500 for the part.  The next option is to find / machine a replacement delrin bushing.  Our final option is to rebuild the existing bushing with epoxy/carbon/graphite, then hone to proper ID.  I'm not real comfortable with #3, but this is likely the easier solution.

          Jason

          On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Lenny Reich <lsreich@...> wrote:

          From John --
          > Jason Smith and I are both at about the same spot in a rubber bearing replacement you should check it out. Jason has taken some great pictures of the process.
          > http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a.html

          That's all very interesting. Great photos, Jason.

          Jason -- For those of us not yet experiencing play in the rudder bearing, do you still recommend hitting both of the zerk fittings with grease in the spring?

          Thanks for your input -- Lenny

        • saintcnc
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
            I owned hull #62 and when I first purchased the boat it also had play in rudder. I had the rudder removed, repaired and the boatyard serviced with a packing material though I'm not sure the exact material they used. I will upload the pictures to the photo link for anyone that is interested.
          • jason3317@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
              Thanks for the information. How long ago was this repair done? Can you provide the name of the yard when you post the link?

              From: "saintcnc"
              Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:12:46 -0000
              To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Jason's rudder problems

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 26, 2009
                Jason,, where are you in the process. I goinging in the direction or replacement but am not yet at the point of no return. How hard is it to get the delron bearing out? Do you have to cut it out?

                BTW checkout his material.www.vesconite.com

                John

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26, 2009
                  After further disucssion with the my yard, plus a couple of guys in Annapolis, I've decided to have to delrin sleeve cut out and replaced.  The yard will clean up the collar and have a local machine shop fab the new bushing.

                  The guys in Annapolis told me TPI built these rudder / bushing interfaces a 'little too loose'.  The fix was to pack the flange and really torque it down, but this did likely make the wheel effort higher than normal.  It's likely installed with 5200, so i am expecting they will have to cut it out.

                  On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM, jfws88 <jfws88@...> wrote:

                  Jason,, where are you in the process. I goinging in the direction or replacement but am not yet at the point of no return. How hard is it to get the delron bearing out? Do you have to cut it out?

                  BTW checkout his material.www.vesconite.com

                  John

                  --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

                  > At this point, I would recommend greasing the bearing, provided grease
                  > fittings are present. I've heard from a couple of owners of the lack of
                  > zerk fittings on their J/28s. I don't think I would add them, if not
                  > already in place.
                  >
                  > Delrin, I've learned, is fine on it own without grease and the water will
                  > provide lubrication. It's my thought that the grease is a means of
                  > displacing water, which will help prevent corrosion of the stainless steel
                  > sleeve. It also might help tighten up any slop present from wear of the
                  > delin bushing.
                  >
                  > There has not been any further progress made; a roller bearing is going to
                  > run $1000+, probably closer to $1500 for the part. The next option is to
                  > find / machine a replacement delrin bushing. Our final option is to rebuild
                  > the existing bushing with epoxy/carbon/graphite, then hone to proper ID.
                  > I'm not real comfortable with #3, but this is likely the easier solution.
                  >
                  > Jason
                  >
                  > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Lenny Reich <lsreich@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > From John --
                  > > > Jason Smith and I are both at about the same spot in a rubber bearing
                  > > replacement you should check it out. Jason has taken some great pictures of
                  > > the process.
                  > > >
                  > > http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a.html
                  > >
                  > > That's all very interesting. Great photos, Jason.
                  > >
                  > > Jason -- For those of us not yet experiencing play in the rudder bearing,
                  > > do you still recommend hitting both of the zerk fittings with grease in the
                  > > spring?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for your input -- Lenny

                • jfws88
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2009
                    I was afraid of that. Well one of my favorite tools is my sawzall. I hope it can get it out without screwing the houseing up to much.

                  • saintcnc
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
                      Regarding the work done on rudder: I had the work done at Ullman Sails in Sarasota. We can't remember the exact material we used to repack the rudder shaft as it was almost 4 years ago. I called the guys that did repair and they said it was a marine packing material. It was thicker that what you would use on the prop shaft and they thought they used a packing material that was designed for a large powerboat shaft. Hope this helps.

                      Randy
                    • jason3317@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
                        Randy, thanks for the update.

                        From: "saintcnc"
                        Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:47:42 -0000
                        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>

                        Regarding the work done on rudder: I had the work done at Ullman Sails in Sarasota. We can't remember the exact material we used to repack the rudder shaft as it was almost 4 years ago. I called the guys that did repair and they said it was a marine packing material. It was thicker that what you would use on the prop shaft and they thought they used a packing material that was designed for a large powerboat shaft. Hope this helps.

                        Randy

                      • andersenhans15
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
                          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

                          > From John --
                          > > Jason Smith and I are both at about the same spot in a rubber bearing replacement you should check it out. Jason has taken some great pictures of the process.
                          > > http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a.html
                          >

                          > That's all very interesting. Great photos, Jason.
                          >
                          > Jason -- For those of us not yet experiencing play in the rudder bearing, do you still recommend hitting both of the zerk fittings with grease in the spring?
                          >
                          > Thanks for your input -- Lenny

                        • andersenhans15
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009