Recommended Propeller?

  • mcclurejsteven@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      I had hull number 62 hauled last week to clean the bottom as we start racing next weekend and the yard advised that we must have stray current in the area as my prop was severely pitted and the anodes were gone. We put two on last summer. He said it was "pink" when he hauled it out.

      Any recommendations on replacement wheels? I have seen some posts where some are too much, but what is just right?

      Finoa, # 62
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
        Call Gary at Martec.

        I think the original prob on the boat was a 16X14 and he recommeded a16X12 and its perfect.
        My diesel spins up to 3400 rpm no problem, reverse is very good.

        there is very lttle prop walk if you accelerate slowly, but if u rev the engine in reverse you get a nice amount,
        My marina is pretty tight and with a combination of foreward and reverse and rudder, i can spin the boat in a little over its own length (cockwise)

        I priced out the gori and the martec was much cheaper, about 400 dollars...there tons of barnacles where I am, and a geared prop was not a good idea

        If you want to save a few dollars, I have 1sX14 the original prop size.  My boat came with a totally awful fixed HUGE three blade prop
        I bought this one on ebay and it needs to be balanced ( I found this out after the boat was in the water, and ended up biting the bullet and buying a new one)

        This one is just slighly out of balance, but I was worried about a whole season so I changed it, I would sell it for less than what I paid and you could have martec or your local yard balance it.

        If money is not an issue, then go to martec. I can only say great things about them and their service

        JP

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
          PS to my last

          The new Martec 16 X12 was about 800 plus shipping. I had it in 2 days from them standard UPS

          JP

[...]

        • J STEVEN MCCLURE
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
            Thanks!

            Sounds like the way to go.  $ 800 every 25 years isn't a bad deal.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
              Anyone sailing in salt water found good ways to keep barnacles, etc. off the prop and shaft? I'm going to try Pettit's zinc barnacle barrier paint unless there is something better. Thanks.

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, J STEVEN MCCLURE <mcclurejsteven@...> wrote:

              > Thanks!
              >
              > Sounds like the way to go.  $ 800 every 25 years isn't a bad deal.

            • William Kellett
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013

                Heat the blade and then Smear the prop blade with hot lanolin.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
                  I would highly recommend the Petit products.

                  I am in in an "extremely fertile" harbor and the growth is unbelievable.  The fist year I had my boat, I was hiring a diver every week to week and a half to get teh crap off the bottom and the shaft, i still do later in the season.
                  I put on a healthy coat of Petit SR 90 ablative bottom paint last year and had almost nothing on the bottom untill September. (I am told that the bottom paint companies use my harbor to test new products...no joke, we have warm water from the incinerator and power plant, the local treatment plant recyles water into it, and there is an old land  up river...sounds romantic huh!  LOL)

                  JP
                  On Mar 3, 2013, at 7:14 AM, jhoagg123 wrote:

                  Anyone sailing in salt water found good ways to keep barnacles, etc. off the prop and shaft? I'm going to try Pettit's zinc barnacle barrier paint unless there is something better. Thanks.

                  --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, J STEVEN MCCLURE wrote:

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Sounds like the way to go.  $ 800 every 25 years isn't a bad deal.

                • jhoagg123
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Thanks guys. I was tempted to try the hot lanolin, but since I had the Pettit zinc paint on hand I decided to try it. I will let everyone know how this paint seems to work keeping barnacles, etc. off the prop later this year.