Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Search Assist

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2013
      Le Soleil in Black Rock/Bridgeport. This was the first 28 that I saw, andthe one that convincedmeto buy mine.

      Thought you might like to have the pics.

      On Feb 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:

      I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.

      Brad Taylor

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:

      > Tom,
      >

      > Thank you for the information on Le Soleil. That's unfortunate that she has
      > gone to points unknown. Apparently she was in nice condition.
      >

      > Bill

    • taylorbj28
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 9, 2013
        I have not tackled it yet. The surveyor suggested to make sure no more moisture could get to those areas, so that is all I have done so far. I am thinking of going in from underneath rather than cut into the deck nonskid.

        Brad
        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

        > How did you address the delamination at the chainplates
        >
        > I am about to tackle that problem with Smiths CPES, looking for other
        > ideas
        >
        > Glad you like the boat...she was my sister ship in Black Rock CT!
        >
        > JP
        > On Feb 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:
        >
        > > I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough
        > > survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a
        > > small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were
        > > ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as
        > > everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails
        > > beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is
        > > about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.
        > >
        > > Brad Taylor
        > >
        > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Tom,
        > > >

        > > > Thank you for the information on Le Soleil. That's unfortunate
        > > that she has
        > > > gone to points unknown. Apparently she was in nice condition.
        > > >

        > > > Bill

      • taylorbj28
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9, 2013
          Thanks, I saved the 3 pics of the boat up on stands. I have not put up the canvas over the cockpit, so that showed me how it looks deployed. Any shots of the boat sailing?

          Brad

          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

          > Le Soleil in Black Rock/Bridgeport. This was the first 28 that I saw,
          > andthe one that convincedmeto buy mine.
          >
          > Thought you might like to have the pics.
          >
          > On Feb 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:
          >
          > > I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough
          > > survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a
          > > small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were
          > > ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as
          > > everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails
          > > beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is
          > > about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.
          > >
          > > Brad Taylor
          > >
          > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Tom,
          > > >

          > > > Thank you for the information on Le Soleil. That's unfortunate
          > > that she has
          > > > gone to points unknown. Apparently she was in nice condition.
          > > >

          > > > Bill

        • andersenhans15
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 20, 2013

            Hi I was at the Auction it was and still is in a very bad shape he did buy it for 15,000

            And it is still for sale

            Hans

            --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, <j28sailors@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Bill,

            I looked into the Cleveland boat over the summer during my own search for a J-28.  I am in Chicago, so I hired a surveyor to take a 30-minute preliminary glance at the boat.  The results were terrible.  The surveyor did some additional research and found that the current owner bought it at auction for $15K, according to state records.  I see it listed for $31,500 and it is in rough shape.  I can give you more details and photos if you're interested.

            Jeff

            On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM, <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

            I think people get attached to these boats and don't want to let them go....

            When I was looking, there were 4 boats for sale, I could not get a response from 3 of the owners/brokers.  On thing is that some of the cherry boats still command a cherry price.
            Few of the boats I looked at fit that catagory, but the owners still wanted top dollar.  They will come around when they find out the condition of the boat.

            After I bought my boat, There were a couple that came up for sale that were really spectacular, but more than I paid.  My boat had some issues, but it also had a lot of nice new gear that the then owners had up graded.
            In the end, I think we found a price that was fair  to both sides.  IF your looking for a turn key boat, you may have to wait abit, but a little sweat equity maybe worth it....

            Hang in, this is a great group of people and we all have a great boat that we love. Your patience will be rewarded!
            It might be worth a little longer wait too to avoid a broker and find a private sale here.  You will save the broker fees and can use that for trucking

            Greenport?  The one over by Scituate or NY?  I have a great guy that trucks my boat to my house from Bridgeport and he is VERY reasonable, ON time and a PRO.
            If you are local to that area, I can put you in touch.

            JP

            On Jan 24, 2013, at 5:22 PM, William Kellett wrote:

            I have two possibilies.  On is in Cleveland and the other in Greenport.  Greenport as a location is attractive to me as there would be no trucking cost.  The Cleveland boat could be brought down the St Lawrence or through the Eire Canal but time is money and thus I look at this boat as having a trucking cost on top of the purchase price.  The frustrating thing is that neither that neither party wants to get on with the deal,.  After the opening discussions, phone call s and e-mails not returned after a number of tries so I have taken to contacting the yacht brokers who have recently sold a number of  J-28s thinking that as J-boat dealers they may have a pipeline.

            But, it all part of the fun of a quest.

            Bill