Re: Search Assist

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 24, 2013
      I'm in RI sail out of North Kingstown. I have many pic's but not sales pics. There are 16 pictures of my boat in the photos section of this site.
      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Dan Juengst wrote:

      > Hi, John.
      >
      > Where is she located? Any pictures?
      >
      > Dan (another future J28 owner)
      >

      > On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:29 PM, John wrote:
      >

      > Ok, I almost hate stating this but my boat, J28 hull #11 is for sale.
      > it is not listed and won't be advertised till spring. Plenty of upgrades
      > including an 8:1 main outhaul with acess from the cockpit. WHALAYED is in
      > what I consider to be very good shape but I'm the owner and therefore bias.
      > The bad news is I want 30K for it.
      >
      > John Whaley
      > jfws88@...
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:
      > >
      > > Jeff,
      > >

      > > Good market intelligence re the Cleveland boat. I went so far as to get
      > her
      > > USCG Doc number form the Documentation people. My next step, were I to
      > > proceed was to get an abstract of title using her number (937108) that I
      > > obtained from the USCG Doc people. I think both the condition of the boat
      > > (based on your findings )and the seller (based on mine) have shown me
      > that I
      > > should drop this boat from consideration. The other one I mentioned is in
      > > Greenport, Long Island (NY). She is being brokered by brick Cove marina .
      > > Here the boat is owned by an east coast-west coast commuting lawyer who
      > has
      > > do nothing with the boat for two years and apparently she is received so
      > > little car that the broker asked that I not come to have a look at her. He
      > > said possibly sometime in the summer.
      > >

      > > Bill

    • William Kellett
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013

        John,

        Your J-28 could be of interest.  I have written you direct to provide a rundown on what I need to determine interest.  Hunting for the “next” boat is always process difficult process for me  separating what I want from what I need in the new boat.

        Bill

        Ok, I almost hate stating this but my boat, J28 hull #11 is for sale.
        it is not listed and won't be advertised till spring. Plenty of upgrades including an 8:1 main outhaul with acess from the cockpit. WHALAYED is in what I consider to be very good shape but I'm the owner and therefore bias. The bad news is I want 30K for it.

        John Whaley
        jfws88@...

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >

        > Good market intelligence re the Cleveland boat. I went so far as to get her
        > USCG Doc number form the Documentation people. My next step, were I to
        > proceed was to get an abstract of title using her number (937108) that I
        > obtained from the USCG Doc people. I think both the condition of the boat
        > (based on your findings )and the seller (based on mine) have shown me that I
        > should drop this boat from consideration. The other one I mentioned is in
        > Greenport, Long Island (NY). She is being brokered by brick Cove marina .
        > Here the boat is owned by an east coast-west coast commuting lawyer who has
        > do nothing with the boat for two years and apparently she is received so
        > little car that the broker asked that I not come to have a look at her. He
        > said possibly sometime in the summer.
        >

        > Bill

      • William Kellett
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 25, 2013

          John,

          Your location places you just minutes away from us in Mystic. I your boat in a shed or under a winter cover?  Further, how does you schedule look.  I am open either on weekends or during the week.  This Sunday afternoon would work for us or pick a day next week.  Call or e-mail me direct.

          The e-mail address (ifws88@...)  is not working for me—my e-mail to you at that address was bounced by the Daemon.

          e-mail me direct to I can correct it in my address book.  Thanks

          Bill Kellett

          w.kellett@...

          860-572-7788

          Ok, I almost hate stating this but my boat, J28 hull #11 is for sale.
          it is not listed and won't be advertised till spring. Plenty of upgrades including an 8:1 main outhaul with acess from the cockpit. WHALAYED is in what I consider to be very good shape but I'm the owner and therefore bias. The bad news is I want 30K for it.

          John Whaley
          jfws88@...

          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:

          > Jeff,
          >

          > Good market intelligence re the Cleveland boat. I went so far as to get her
          > USCG Doc number form the Documentation people. My next step, were I to
          > proceed was to get an abstract of title using her number (937108) that I
          > obtained from the USCG Doc people. I think both the condition of the boat
          > (based on your findings )and the seller (based on mine) have shown me that I
          > should drop this boat from consideration. The other one I mentioned is in
          > Greenport, Long Island (NY). She is being brokered by brick Cove marina .
          > Here the boat is owned by an east coast-west coast commuting lawyer who has
          > do nothing with the boat for two years and apparently she is received so
          > little car that the broker asked that I not come to have a look at her. He
          > said possibly sometime in the summer.
          >

          > Bill

        • taylorbj28
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2013
            I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.

            Brad Taylor

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2013
              How did  you address the delamination at the chainplates

              I am about to tackle that problem with Smiths CPES, looking for other ideas

              Glad you like the boat...she was my sister ship in Black Rock CT!

              JP

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 3, 2013
                Le Soleil in Black Rock/Bridgeport. This was the first 28 that I saw, andthe one that convincedmeto buy mine.

                Thought you might like to have the pics.

                On Feb 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:

                I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.

                Brad Taylor

                --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:

                > Tom,
                >

                > Thank you for the information on Le Soleil. That's unfortunate that she has
                > gone to points unknown. Apparently she was in nice condition.
                >

                > Bill

              • taylorbj28
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2013
                  I have not tackled it yet. The surveyor suggested to make sure no more moisture could get to those areas, so that is all I have done so far. I am thinking of going in from underneath rather than cut into the deck nonskid.

                  Brad
                  --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

                  > How did you address the delamination at the chainplates
                  >
                  > I am about to tackle that problem with Smiths CPES, looking for other
                  > ideas
                  >
                  > Glad you like the boat...she was my sister ship in Black Rock CT!
                  >
                  > JP
                  > On Feb 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough
                  > > survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a
                  > > small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were
                  > > ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as
                  > > everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails
                  > > beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is
                  > > about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.
                  > >
                  > > Brad Taylor
                  > >
                  > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Tom,
                  > > >

                  > > > Thank you for the information on Le Soleil. That's unfortunate
                  > > that she has
                  > > > gone to points unknown. Apparently she was in nice condition.
                  > > >

                  > > > Bill

                • taylorbj28
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2013
                    Thanks, I saved the 3 pics of the boat up on stands. I have not put up the canvas over the cockpit, so that showed me how it looks deployed. Any shots of the boat sailing?

                    Brad

                    --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, sailingmaster@... wrote:

                    > Le Soleil in Black Rock/Bridgeport. This was the first 28 that I saw,
                    > andthe one that convincedmeto buy mine.
                    >
                    > Thought you might like to have the pics.
                    >
                    > On Feb 3, 2013, at 12:06 PM, taylorbj28 wrote:
                    >
                    > > I purchased Le Soleil late last summer after a second very thorough
                    > > survey. Small areas of delamination at the port chainplate and a
                    > > small area outside the starboard genoa track. All other areas were
                    > > ruled out.The boat has been one pleasant surprise after another as
                    > > everything worked on the boat the first time it was tried. She sails
                    > > beautifully. I need to fiddle with the Tacktick sending unit is
                    > > about all. She is now in fresh water on Lake George in New York.
                    > >
                    > > Brad Taylor
                    > >
                    > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "William Kellett" wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Tom,
                    > > >

                    > > > Thank you for the information on Le Soleil. That's unfortunate
                    > > that she has
                    > > > gone to points unknown. Apparently she was in nice condition.
                    > > >

                    > > > Bill

                  • andersenhans15
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 20, 2013

                      Hi I was at the Auction it was and still is in a very bad shape he did buy it for 15,000

                      And it is still for sale

                      Hans

                      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, <j28sailors@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      Bill,

                      I looked into the Cleveland boat over the summer during my own search for a J-28.  I am in Chicago, so I hired a surveyor to take a 30-minute preliminary glance at the boat.  The results were terrible.  The surveyor did some additional research and found that the current owner bought it at auction for $15K, according to state records.  I see it listed for $31,500 and it is in rough shape.  I can give you more details and photos if you're interested.

                      Jeff