Re: 4:1 main outhaul

  • Kurt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
      Hi Steve,

      Mine definitely has a 4:1 outhaul. I don't know for sure about the diesel tank size but I do know that I have put 15 gallons in and the tank had more than a gallon left before fill up. So it must be bigger than 16 gallons.

      Kurt
      Hull #71

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Stahl, Stephen" wrote:

      > Also my J/28 (hull #2) has a 1:1 outhaul, not 4:1 as claimed. Maybe
      > the original riggers slipped up on this, and you all actually have 4:1?
      > ===============
      > The J/28 sales prospectus states that it carries a 20 gal diesel
      > tank. I removed my tank once to empty and thoroughly clean it.
      > On refilling it was clear that it holds no more than 16 gal. The tank
      > seems to fill its intended space, so I am assuming other J-28s also
      > have 16 gal. tanks.
      >
      > Does anybody in this group actually have a 20 gal tank in their J/28?
      >
      > Steve

    • Stahl, Stephen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
        It would be nice to have a 4:1 purchase on the outhaul. Mine is
        essentially useless.
        Steve

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
          Replace the cam cleat for the outhaul with a head knocker block (harken 291 or equivalent).  Much easier to generate additional force when adjusting.