4:1 main outhaul

  • Stahl, Stephen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
      Also my J/28 (hull #2) has a 1:1 outhaul, not 4:1 as claimed. Maybe
      the original riggers slipped up on this, and you all actually have 4:1?
      ===============
      The J/28 sales prospectus states that it carries a 20 gal diesel
      tank. I removed my tank once to empty and thoroughly clean it.
      On refilling it was clear that it holds no more than 16 gal. The tank
      seems to fill its intended space, so I am assuming other J-28s also
      have 16 gal. tanks.

      Does anybody in this group actually have a 20 gal tank in their J/28?

      Steve
    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi Steve,

        Mine definitely has a 4:1 outhaul. I don't know for sure about the diesel tank size but I do know that I have put 15 gallons in and the tank had more than a gallon left before fill up. So it must be bigger than 16 gallons.

        Kurt
        Hull #71

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Stahl, Stephen" wrote:

        > Also my J/28 (hull #2) has a 1:1 outhaul, not 4:1 as claimed. Maybe
        > the original riggers slipped up on this, and you all actually have 4:1?
        > ===============
        > The J/28 sales prospectus states that it carries a 20 gal diesel
        > tank. I removed my tank once to empty and thoroughly clean it.
        > On refilling it was clear that it holds no more than 16 gal. The tank
        > seems to fill its intended space, so I am assuming other J-28s also
        > have 16 gal. tanks.
        >
        > Does anybody in this group actually have a 20 gal tank in their J/28?
        >
        > Steve

      • Stahl, Stephen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
          It would be nice to have a 4:1 purchase on the outhaul. Mine is
          essentially useless.
          Steve

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2013
            Replace the cam cleat for the outhaul with a head knocker block (harken 291 or equivalent).  Much easier to generate additional force when adjusting.