The J-28 Market

  • William Kellett
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013

      Good Morning, Bill Kellett here.

      I am a new member of the J-28 group.  My wife and I are long time cruisers and we are now scaling down from a larger boat to, hopefully, a J-28.

      As part of our search for the “right” small cruising boat I spoke to Rod Johnstone, a neighbor and he recommended the J-28 as being exactly what we want.  He seems very proud of the design. However, he said it will be hard to find one to purchase as so few come on the market.  And, we have found this to be true.  Even the owners of currently listed J-28’s appear to be in no rush to sell.

      If any of you know of a J-28coming on the market (or wish to sell your own) please let me know.  We will pay a fair price.  We have prepared a J-28 evaluation check list that shows all of the standard equipment that was on the boat as originally delivered plus the additional items that we consider important (and hope would have been added by current or prior owners) or that we would add ourselves after purchase.  I will e-mail this check list to any of you that send me an e-mail requesting it.

      Regards,  Bill (w.kellett@...)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
        Bill,

        Good luck on the hunt and don't be afraid to make offers on the ones that have been out there awhile, maybe the owners are ready to listen. I'd offer you ours, but we closed on the deal just before Thanksgiving, it was on the market for 2 months. We decided to upsize to a 36' footer after looking at two J32 and a bunch of other boats. What $5K price bracket are you hoping to be in? $25K- $30K?

        Roy
        Formerly Hull #29

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
          Roy, your upsizing co-incides with our downsizing. You can find our current baot, a 35ft Wauquiez Pretorien on the YachtWorld website (its the one in Noank). The Pretorien is designed to cross oceans and in fact Hal Roth sailed his Pretorien around the world.

          JURA's equipment compliment may be of interest. Its the gear we needed for the type of cruising we have been doing for the last 10 years. I would not add this much gear to a J-28, too heavy and expensive.

          You asked what price bracket we would be in for our J-28 search. And yes, you are right on with the $25K - 30K bracket. I could easily see us making a $30K offer on a J-28 in good condition and well equiped.

          Cheers, Bill

          > Bill, Good luck on the hunt and don't be afraid to make offers on the ones that have been out there awhile, maybe the owners are ready to listen. I'd offer you ours, but we closed on the deal just before Thanksgiving, it was on the market for 2 months. We decided to upsize to a 36' footer after looking at two J32 and a bunch of other boats. What $5K price bracket are you hoping to be in? $25K- $30K? RoyFormerly Hull #29
          > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          > From: w.kellett@...
          > Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:30:58 -0500
          > Subject: [J28Sailors] The J-28 Market

          > Good Morning, Bill Kellett here.I am a new member of the J-28 group. My wife and I are long time cruisers and we are now scaling down from a larger boat to, hopefully, a J-28.As part of our search for the "right" small cruising boat I spoke to Rod Johnstone, a neighbor and he recommended the J-28 as being exactly what we want. He seems very proud of the design. However, he said it will be hard to find one to purchase as so few come on the market. And, we have found this to be true. Even the owners of currently listed J-28's appear to be in no rush to sell.If any of you know of a J-28coming on the market (or wish to sell your own) please let me know. We will pay a fair price. We have prepared a J-28 evaluation check list that shows all of the standard equipment that was on the boat as originally delivered plus the additional items that we consider important (and hope would have been added by current or prior owners) or that we would add ourselves after purchase. I will e-mail this check list to any of you that send me an e-mail requesting it.Regards, Bill (w.kellett@...)

        • Stahl, Stephen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
            The J/28 sales prospectus states that it carries a 20 gal diesel
            tank. I removed my tank once to empty and thoroughly clean it.
            On refilling it was clear that it holds no more than 16 gal. The tank
            seems to fill its intended space, so I am assuming other J-28s also
            have 16 gal. tanks.

            Does anybody in this group actually have a 20 gal tank in their J/28?

            Steve
          • Frank Francis

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2013

                Frank Francis,

                I have had that there was a J-28 for sale in Texas but never had good contact information.  Now, with what you have provided here I was able to successfully Google it and she looks OK.

                Thank you very much for the lead.

                Cheers,  Bill