Re: Jazz #289 Hull number 9

  • thconway1
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
      I race in the non-spinnaker division and do well. In light air, a pearson 26 and Albin Cumulus 28 (sp?) are faster. In anything over 15 knots, we will usually be able to win a race with boatspeed alone. Over 20 knots and no one can keep up.

      I keep a full main up to 25 knots and then reef once or twice. I will load the backstay to flatten it and drop the trav so only the back 15% is working. The 140% jib will do well with that and the boat is pretty balanced. If the water is flat, I can sail with some luff in the jib and still make close to 6 knots.

      While upwind in light air is slow, Jazz will excel going downwind. I think the big main is the difference over the masthead boats that beat me to the windward mark. Getting upwind in light stuff, I foot more than anyone and bring the trav up and sheet out. The key is to just keep the boat moving and not worry about the angle. The boat does not seem to point in the light stuff.

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@...> wrote:

      > Tom, I read your Blog. It seems you do pretty well in your fleet. What kind s of boats to you race againest.
      >
      > I have yet to completely figure out how my boat trims out the best. Althought I'm pretty sure the boat like a pretty full main up to about 15 knots of wind. Is your's the same?
      >
      > John

    • jfws88
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
        Thanks Tom, I guess I have the boat figured out a little better than I thought. I can't get any pointing in light air either, but over 15 knots we are tough to beat. And I use a similar set-up.
        On mondays my competition is a tarton ten and a C&C 35. Usually the boat that makes the fewest mistakes wins. I won last night. On wednesdays I just can't beat an evelyn 26 or a blackwatch 37.

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "thconway1" <actionman@...> wrote:

        > I race in the non-spinnaker division and do well. In light air, a pearson 26 and Albin Cumulus 28 (sp?) are faster. In anything over 15 knots, we will usually be able to win a race with boatspeed alone. Over 20 knots and no one can keep up.
        >
        > I keep a full main up to 25 knots and then reef once or twice. I will load the backstay to flatten it and drop the trav so only the back 15% is working. The 140% jib will do well with that and the boat is pretty balanced. If the water is flat, I can sail with some luff in the jib and still make close to 6 knots.
        >
        > While upwind in light air is slow, Jazz will excel going downwind. I think the big main is the difference over the masthead boats that beat me to the windward mark. Getting upwind in light stuff, I foot more than anyone and bring the trav up and sheet out. The key is to just keep the boat moving and not worry about the angle. The boat does not seem to point in the light stuff.
        >
        > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Tom, I read your Blog. It seems you do pretty well in your fleet. What kind s of boats to you race againest.
        > >
        > > I have yet to completely figure out how my boat trims out the best. Althought I'm pretty sure the boat like a pretty full main up to about 15 knots of wind. Is your's the same?
        > >
        > > John

      • j28sailor50
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009
          Good information on tuning. Has anyone from the group seen or done a Polar Diagram for a J28?
        • jfws88
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2009
            Regarding tuning, I'found that using tuning guides from a J30 give pretty good results. The rigs and performance chactoristics are very similar of the two boats in fact I fly a used j30 spinnaker. Attached is the UK version but there are others. I havn't found a source of the polars that I could read but I bet it's because I havn't looked hard enough. The J30 class site is a good source of info.

            Lenny, good news on the link from J boats. I also sent them an email request for the link.

            Somtime this weekend I'll post a letter I received from Rod Johnston regarding my PHRF rateing appeal a couple of years ago.

            As far as I'm concerned they're a great bunch of folks to deal with.

            http://www.ukhalsey.com/sails/onedesign/j30/J30Tuning.pdf