Re: Bleeding the fuel system

  • mcclurejsteven@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
      Wow, thank you all for the great advice!

      We bought our boat last year and this is our first diesel.

      We invited guests to go out last Sunday and the engine cranked on the first turn as always, and warmed up for about ten minutes then just acted like it ran out of fuel. We tried with no success to crank it back up, but no joy.

      There was a spare primary filter on the boat, so we put it on, but could not get fuel to flow back into it. We were unable to ever get it cranked up again, but it was hot as blazes and we decided to call it a day.

      When we had the boat hauled this spring, I had the yard remove the tank and clean it out and replenished it with fresh fuel as I did not know what was in the tank or how long it had been there. The yard says there fuel has algaecide in it, but I added a little of my own, too.

      I will check the hose from the tank hopefully tomorrow and maybe it is plugged up. If that's not it, I guess I will pull the lift pump and inspect the diaphragm.

      Please feel free to continue to trouble shoot and mentor!

      Thanks,

      Steve McClure
      Fairhope, AL
      Fiona Hull # 62

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
        Steve,

        I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I would simply change the filters, hand pump the heck out of it (using the lever on the fuel pump) until there is no more air, start it up and then bleed it a bit (backing off that bleed screw) while it's running. In my experience, it can be a little messy but that should clear it. Make sure in the fall you top off your tank, add some "Store-n-Start", and you should be fine. Good luck.

        On Oct 27, 2012, at 7:09 PM, "mcclurejsteven@..." <mcclurejsteven@...> wrote:

> [...]

        > > seasons from a filter.
        > > Steve
        > >
        > > At 06:24 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
        > > >
        > > >if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go
        > > >at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
        > > >My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about
        > > >stabile, and algiicide in the fuel. i am also sure that at least
        > > >twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at
        > > >top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
        > > >i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge
        > > >the system of any carbon build up
        > >
        > > My Yanmar gets about 2 to 3 hrs per gallon of diesel, so you would
        > > only be burning of one gallon of fuel with the above routine. How
        > > does this get rid of only the old fuel? Can the injectors somehow
        > > recognize the old diesel molecules from the fresh ones and segregate

      • john power
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
          Good idea to keep some stabile and algeacide aboard and ad it to your fuel at each fill up.  I would imagine if you are in a warmer climate the problem with algea would be worse then here in the north.
          I had my tank cleaned 2 years ago, and when i change the filters this year, they still looked like new and the fuel was clean and free of water.
          Racers like to keep less fuel aboard (i think this is stupid because the amount of weight it adds to an 8000 lb boat is insignificant) having room for water to condense in the fuel creates the enviroment for the algae...not to mention water in the fuel.

          If you are like most of us that run out diesel for just a few minutes until out of the slip, then you should try to at least once a month take the boat out and run it like a powerboat.
          Run it close to the max rpm (32-3400) for at least an hour to let the engine get up to temperature and burn out all of the carbon, and to get the oil flowing through the engine.

          I am sure others will chime in about your problem.  The only things that usually stop a diesel from running is empty fuel tank, air or water. Purging the air in the fuel is easy, but if you got water in the fuel that is a much more involved and complex problem.

          Good luck. The 28 is a great boat and that little yanmar is a great engine

          JP
          On Oct 27, 2012, at 7:09 PM, mcclurejsteven@... wrote:

> [...]

          > > seasons from a filter.
          > > Steve
          > >
          > > At 06:24 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
          > > >
          > > >if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go
          > > >at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
          > > >My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about
          > > >stabile, and algiicide in the fuel. i am also sure that at least
          > > >twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at
          > > >top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
          > > >i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge
          > > >the system of any carbon build up
          > >
          > > My Yanmar gets about 2 to 3 hrs per gallon of diesel, so you would
          > > only be burning of one gallon of fuel with the above routine. How
          > > does this get rid of only the old fuel? Can the injectors somehow
          > > recognize the old diesel molecules from the fresh ones and segregate

        • john power
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
            Oh I just reread your post.

            the fuel tank is lower than the primary filter. So if you put on a clean filter, you need to lift a lot of diesel from the tank to prime it.
            I tried to do it last summer with the lift pump and gave up.  Read my earlier reply. CLOSE THE SEACOCK, THROW off the compression lever and have a helper crank the engine until the fuel pump fills the primary filter. Bleed there Bleed secondary filter, bleed high pressure pump. Unless you have a lot of air you will not have to bleed at the injectors...

            You could also remove the filter and prime it with clean diesel

            Remember do not crank your engine too long in an circumstance with our the seacock closed. You can flood the engine with seawater as there is no exhaust pressure to force the cooing water out the stern!
            THIS IS VERY BAD. Also, once the engine does start, remember to re open the seacock.

            JP

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
              My boat was on the hard for a total of 7 years before I was ready to start the engine for the first time. I pumped out the fuel tank completely, cleaned it out with a rag, put in fresh fuel along with some additives and replaced the filters, hand pumped the fuel using the lever on the fuel pump, started it, ran it a bit while carefully backing off the fuel bleed screw until it stopped spitting air and it has run perfectly every since, no problems. I did the same one time with my 29 and had similar results.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                Ok, it is easy once you've finally done it! My problem was that I wasn't rotating the lever on the lift pump far enough. From the starting horizontal position (say 9 o'clock) down to about seven o'clock, there was no resistance. I assumed that the diaphragm was bad. I finally called my local diesel service tech and he talked me through it on the phone. He said that there should be noticeable resistance on the lever. I went back and found out that the lever worked the pump from about seven o'clock through five o'clock. Things really speeded up after that! I bleed it at the secondary filter, gave it a turn and it has been running sweetly ever since. Thanks for all your help.

                Steve