Bleeding the fuel system

  • mcclurejsteven@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 25, 2012
      Does anyone have a good procedure on this? Is there good You Tube anyone can recommend? The owner's manual is right about the frustration if you don't know what you are doing.

      Thanks,

      Steve
      Finoa # 62
    • john power
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012

        I am no expert on this, this is my first boat with and engine let alone a diesel.  I performed a fuel filter change last sumer and this is not that hard...if I can do it anyone can.

        First if you have the old style fuel filter, change it to a racor so you can any water in the water separator. Also, the old filter sucks to change and is hard to locate parts for.

        If you can, fill the fuel filters with clean diesel before your re attach them to the fuel line engine. You will have less air to bleed out this way.  DONT spill!

        if the filter is empty or if you have a lot of air in the system,  the lift pump is about next to useless if you are pumping by hand. Get a helper. CLOSE THE SEACOCK (or you will flood the engine with seawater) Throw off the compression

        levers on top of the engine and have your helper crank the engine for a minute or two...eventally the lift pump will fill the primary filter. close the bleed screw and move to the secondary filter.  You should have open the bleed screw on the secondary filter, as soon as fuel squirts out here, stop cranking the motor and tighten the bleed screw. next open the bleed screw on the high pressure pumpe and crank the engine until fuel comes out. stop, tighten the screw and start the motor.

        If the motor stil does not start, you will have to continue to bleed at the injectors, same procedure.  Its really pretty simple.  Remember to RE OPEN the seacock and lift the compression levers before starting the engine.

        Other tips I have learned.

        1) have plenty of oil absorbing cloths on hand and under the area around the fuel filter.

        2) Dawn dishwashing liquid is great for cleaning up any drips/spill (they use it on birds for big oil spills :( )

        3. I removed the screws that hold the dishpan into the steps above the engine. you can then carefully slide it out (watch that the drain clears the air intake an alternator on the motor) making access to the Yanmar much better...you will swear less.

        And oh yes..place some kind of towel, drop cloth over the opening where the water drains into the bilge at the edge of the floor..any parts/tools that roll down there will never be seen again....how do I know this?

        JP

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
          It is real easy to do. The Yanmar site should have something. You may want to get a diesel manual, I'm not sure what the name of the one we have, but it has pretty decent pictures to show you where the places are.

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
            U can buy the seloc diesel manual at west marine

            Sent from my iPhone

            To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
              Loosen the bleed screw on the top of the primary fuel filter (the little
              one that comes with the engine; upper front left). There are two screws on
              the top. Either one will work for this, but the official one has a hole
              drilled at right angles through the threads. You will have to remove them
              to see this. Your manual probably shows this.

              There is a little lever on the fuel pump (left side of the engine facing
              aft) that will pump enough fuel through the lines to bring the air and
              fuel to the bleed screw.

              It may be necessary to turn the flywheel a bit if the fuel pump cam is at
              its high point; the lever should be able to move up and down about 1/2
              inch.
              When the fuel runs clear with no bubbles, tighten the bleed screw. Don't
              over do it! Soft Aluminum! (I had to buy a new filter housing after
              wearing out the threads.)

              If you can't get the little lever to pump fuel, get someone to turn over
              the engine to get it flowing. (This probably means the fuel pump is on its
              last legs or worn out.)

              If there is still air in the line and the engine won't start, you may have
              to move down the line and bleed as before at the high pressure fuel pump.
              (Lower front right, I think.) I only had to resort to this on a friend's
              Yanmar 30.

              Steve (Who has changed clogged diesel filters and done the bleeds more
              times than I care to remember.)
              Lazy J #2

              At 11:39 AM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
              Does anyone have a good procedure on this? Is there good You Tube
              anyone can recommend? The owner's manual is right about the
              frustration if you don't know what you are doing.

              >Thanks,
              >
              >Steve
              >Finoa # 62
            • john power
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
                if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
                My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about stabile, and algiicide in the fuel.  i am also sure that at least twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
                i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge the system of any carbon build up

                ay good diesel mechanic will tell you to do this.  The enemies are water, algea and dirt, all which thrive in your fuel tank if you do not treat the fuel and run the engine hard a few times each season

                On Oct 26, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Stahl, Stephen wrote:

                Loosen the bleed screw on the top of the primary fuel filter (the little
                one that comes with the engine; upper front left). There are two screws on
                the top. Either one will work for this, but the official one has a hole
                drilled at right angles through the threads. You will have to remove them
                to see this. Your manual probably shows this.

                There is a little lever on the fuel pump (left side of the engine facing
                aft) that will pump enough fuel through the lines to bring the air and
                fuel to the bleed screw.

                It may be necessary to turn the flywheel a bit if the fuel pump cam is at
                its high point; the lever should be able to move up and down about 1/2
                inch.
                When the fuel runs clear with no bubbles, tighten the bleed screw. Don't
                over do it! Soft Aluminum! (I had to buy a new filter housing after
                wearing out the threads.)

                If you can't get the little lever to pump fuel, get someone to turn over
                the engine to get it flowing. (This probably means the fuel pump is on its
                last legs or worn out.)

                If there is still air in the line and the engine won't start, you may have
                to move down the line and bleed as before at the high pressure fuel pump.
                (Lower front right, I think.) I only had to resort to this on a friend's
                Yanmar 30.

                Steve (Who has changed clogged diesel filters and done the bleeds more
                times than I care to remember.)
                Lazy J #2

                At 11:39 AM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
                Does anyone have a good procedure on this? Is there good You Tube
                anyone can recommend? The owner's manual is right about the
                frustration if you don't know what you are doing.

                >Thanks,
                >
                >Steve
                >Finoa # 62

              • Stahl, Stephen
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
                  I last changed my fuel filter in Sept 2009. I have just owned the
                  boat for more than 20 years, so I have done a lot of filter changes.
                  A dirty fuel tank was the issue when I first got the boat, but after
                  cleaning it and installing new fuel lines, I get three or four
                  seasons from a filter.
                  Steve

                  At 06:24 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:

                  >if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go
                  >at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
                  >My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about
                  >stabile, and algiicide in the fuel. i am also sure that at least
                  >twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at
                  >top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
                  >i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge
                  >the system of any carbon build up

                  My Yanmar gets about 2 to 3 hrs per gallon of diesel, so you would
                  only be burning of one gallon of fuel with the above routine. How
                  does this get rid of only the old fuel? Can the injectors somehow
                  recognize the old diesel molecules from the fresh ones and segregate
                  them, only burning the old? :)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 26, 2012
                    I owned a J29 for 28 years and changed the fuel filters only once and that was because I ran it dry one time. I have owned my J28 four years and changed the filters the first year. I don't anticipate changing them again in the near future as it is running fine. I do top off my tanks each fall and also add a healthy dose of "Store-an-Start" each fall. It's no big deal.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
                      Wow, thank you all for the great advice!

                      We bought our boat last year and this is our first diesel.

                      We invited guests to go out last Sunday and the engine cranked on the first turn as always, and warmed up for about ten minutes then just acted like it ran out of fuel. We tried with no success to crank it back up, but no joy.

                      There was a spare primary filter on the boat, so we put it on, but could not get fuel to flow back into it. We were unable to ever get it cranked up again, but it was hot as blazes and we decided to call it a day.

                      When we had the boat hauled this spring, I had the yard remove the tank and clean it out and replenished it with fresh fuel as I did not know what was in the tank or how long it had been there. The yard says there fuel has algaecide in it, but I added a little of my own, too.

                      I will check the hose from the tank hopefully tomorrow and maybe it is plugged up. If that's not it, I guess I will pull the lift pump and inspect the diaphragm.

                      Please feel free to continue to trouble shoot and mentor!

                      Thanks,

                      Steve McClure
                      Fairhope, AL
                      Fiona Hull # 62

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
                        Steve,

                        I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. I would simply change the filters, hand pump the heck out of it (using the lever on the fuel pump) until there is no more air, start it up and then bleed it a bit (backing off that bleed screw) while it's running. In my experience, it can be a little messy but that should clear it. Make sure in the fall you top off your tank, add some "Store-n-Start", and you should be fine. Good luck.

                        On Oct 27, 2012, at 7:09 PM, "mcclurejsteven@..." <mcclurejsteven@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > > seasons from a filter.
                        > > Steve
                        > >
                        > > At 06:24 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > >if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go
                        > > >at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
                        > > >My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about
                        > > >stabile, and algiicide in the fuel. i am also sure that at least
                        > > >twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at
                        > > >top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
                        > > >i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge
                        > > >the system of any carbon build up
                        > >
                        > > My Yanmar gets about 2 to 3 hrs per gallon of diesel, so you would
                        > > only be burning of one gallon of fuel with the above routine. How
                        > > does this get rid of only the old fuel? Can the injectors somehow
                        > > recognize the old diesel molecules from the fresh ones and segregate

                      • john power
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
                          Good idea to keep some stabile and algeacide aboard and ad it to your fuel at each fill up.  I would imagine if you are in a warmer climate the problem with algea would be worse then here in the north.
                          I had my tank cleaned 2 years ago, and when i change the filters this year, they still looked like new and the fuel was clean and free of water.
                          Racers like to keep less fuel aboard (i think this is stupid because the amount of weight it adds to an 8000 lb boat is insignificant) having room for water to condense in the fuel creates the enviroment for the algae...not to mention water in the fuel.

                          If you are like most of us that run out diesel for just a few minutes until out of the slip, then you should try to at least once a month take the boat out and run it like a powerboat.
                          Run it close to the max rpm (32-3400) for at least an hour to let the engine get up to temperature and burn out all of the carbon, and to get the oil flowing through the engine.

                          I am sure others will chime in about your problem.  The only things that usually stop a diesel from running is empty fuel tank, air or water. Purging the air in the fuel is easy, but if you got water in the fuel that is a much more involved and complex problem.

                          Good luck. The 28 is a great boat and that little yanmar is a great engine

                          JP
                          On Oct 27, 2012, at 7:09 PM, mcclurejsteven@... wrote:

> [...]

                          > > seasons from a filter.
                          > > Steve
                          > >
                          > > At 06:24 PM 10/26/2012, you wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > >if you keep your fuel clean and clean the tank, i thinkg you can go
                          > > >at LEAST 2 seasons without issue..
                          > > >My filters were totally clean after three years, but I am anal about
                          > > >stabile, and algiicide in the fuel. i am also sure that at least
                          > > >twice a year, it take the boat out and play power boat, i e run at
                          > > >top rpm for 2-3 hours to make sure
                          > > >i burn off old fuel, get the diesel up to top rpm and temp and purge
                          > > >the system of any carbon build up
                          > >
                          > > My Yanmar gets about 2 to 3 hrs per gallon of diesel, so you would
                          > > only be burning of one gallon of fuel with the above routine. How
                          > > does this get rid of only the old fuel? Can the injectors somehow
                          > > recognize the old diesel molecules from the fresh ones and segregate

                        • john power
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
                            Oh I just reread your post.

                            the fuel tank is lower than the primary filter. So if you put on a clean filter, you need to lift a lot of diesel from the tank to prime it.
                            I tried to do it last summer with the lift pump and gave up.  Read my earlier reply. CLOSE THE SEACOCK, THROW off the compression lever and have a helper crank the engine until the fuel pump fills the primary filter. Bleed there Bleed secondary filter, bleed high pressure pump. Unless you have a lot of air you will not have to bleed at the injectors...

                            You could also remove the filter and prime it with clean diesel

                            Remember do not crank your engine too long in an circumstance with our the seacock closed. You can flood the engine with seawater as there is no exhaust pressure to force the cooing water out the stern!
                            THIS IS VERY BAD. Also, once the engine does start, remember to re open the seacock.

                            JP

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 27, 2012
                              My boat was on the hard for a total of 7 years before I was ready to start the engine for the first time. I pumped out the fuel tank completely, cleaned it out with a rag, put in fresh fuel along with some additives and replaced the filters, hand pumped the fuel using the lever on the fuel pump, started it, ran it a bit while carefully backing off the fuel bleed screw until it stopped spitting air and it has run perfectly every since, no problems. I did the same one time with my 29 and had similar results.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                                Ok, it is easy once you've finally done it! My problem was that I wasn't rotating the lever on the lift pump far enough. From the starting horizontal position (say 9 o'clock) down to about seven o'clock, there was no resistance. I assumed that the diaphragm was bad. I finally called my local diesel service tech and he talked me through it on the phone. He said that there should be noticeable resistance on the lever. I went back and found out that the lever worked the pump from about seven o'clock through five o'clock. Things really speeded up after that! I bleed it at the secondary filter, gave it a turn and it has been running sweetly ever since. Thanks for all your help.

                                Steve