Re: [J28Sailors] RE: Leaky Companionway Hatch, sails and other items?

  • John Power
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
      Its funny, my hatch did start leaking just this past week,
      I agree with the dirt problem (my marina is near and industrial park and the boat needs a lot of cleaning)
      I rinsed under the cover with bucket of soapy water and a hose and it was much better, I think I will have to open it up and clean it out.

      I have a 3/4 full battened main from Doyle that was new when I bought the boat. This is my first cruising boat, but I have always race one designs competitively and I am very please with the shape. It was made by the Doyle loft in Salem.  The old owners thought the boat was a bit overpowered, and I suspect this is a lttle smaller than the reg main as its flat and a little short on the hoist.  IN any wind over 8-10 my boat hits 6.5-7.5 (SOG on the GPS no log on the boat)
      I would assme the RI loft uses the same basic shape, Id be curious if it was different.

      I have not raced the boat yet as I am the RACE COMMITTEE on weds nites, but the boat seems fast or faster than other boats of the same size, cal, oday, tarten hunter etc.
      I think the size genoa you race with is going to depend on the size of your crew,  I sail alone or with one other and with just the 135 the boat has plenty of power,
      I would think to carry the 155 in any kind of breeze you would need a few on the rail (and forward to get the ass up!).  I do have and older 155 and the increase in horsepower is DRAMATIC.  There was a nice 155 for sale on this site a while back (jason?)  I would love to have bought it but this year I did new prop, rudder bearing and trailer.
      I will be getting a  new genoa next year and it will be from Doyle.  I have used their racing sails on Soling, j24s, et al and they make very nice (and durable) sails.

      I am curious about an assym myself.  Don think I would want to fly it out side the bow rail, I' d tack it inside.  It thought the small foretriangle of the boat would make it not really
      worthwhile, especially on the typical W/L course. I single hand the reg chute in most light to medium breeze with no problem. I would like a BIG assym for those days reaching back and forth with no main...thoughts?

      More to follow

      JP
      On Aug 8, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Roy Briscoe wrote:

      1: Our hatch leaks too. We will try and clean the gunk out. We left the dodger up this year which indirectly fixed the leaks.

      2: We contacted Bowmar in NH and after 2 tries still haven't got the right one.  I did discover that the leaks were coming from between the glass and the gasket and not between the gasket and the frame. I pulled the gasket away from the glass and shot some silicon into that space. Seems to fix most of the leaks.

      3: We are very happy with the main from Doyle in RI.

      4: Our rating is 186/186 rating from Marblehead  We have a asymmetrical spinner which raises the racing rating by 9 seconds. Still not sure why the cruising rating is not 183 but who I am to complain, I did ask to have it verified. We have a 155, we did terrible with a 135. I'd go with a 155, you can always roll it up to a 135, but you can't make the 135 bigger.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 7, 2012, at 4:51 PM, "bill.foster35" <bill@...> wrote:

      Hey everyone,

      I have a few questions for those here.

      1. My companionway hatch leaks. I keep the dodger down a fair bit and in the winter if the boat is not under cover its been a problem. Have others had this issue? it seems the rain just sits on the plastic horizontal slider and runs off the sides into the aluminum track, so i thought. this does not seem to be the source of my water problem. it seems to run forward off the slider for the most part and is supposed to run out from under the FRP hood the slider stows into. but from inside the cabin i can see water comes in under the slider over a piece of wood trim across the front of the companionway opening. Does anyone ahve any advice on what the issue might be and if others have had this problem how have you solved the problem?

      2. The age old portlight issue. These are Bomar units and i see some others have asked on here about them as well. I keep hearing about Select Plastics, but i dont see any info on the website regarding Bomar hatches, am i missing something? it seems in my case the gaskets are shot, cracked, falling apart.... and the portlight adjustments have been maxed out so i can not tighten them any furhter. i need new gaskets. The interesting thing is a prvious owner installed some kind of new gasket in one. its much thicker than the others and feels solid, ie: not a hollow tube or similar. it does not have a seam and i can not identify where it came from. most importantly it works. any advice here would be helpful as well on what others ahve done to fix the repair?

      3. I will be needing to invest in a new mainsail soon. Can anyone recommend a loft in the NE US they used to get one that they are happy with? Full batten or no? composite or dacron? I'd like ot use it for cruising and some club racing.

      4. For those who race, ideally in the NE, what sort of PHRF can one expect with a 135% and spinnaker? 171 base rating or something more?

      5. For those who do race and enjoy tuning the boat, what sort of numbers do you find you target, upwind and down, ie: speeds and engles? I have been using an older mylar/pentex main and 153% and find the boat tacks through about 80-85 degrees in 10 knots of breeze and seems to make about 5 knots through the water. I find footing off a tad to say 45 deg true in 10-12 the boat will pick up speed to closer to 6 knots or more. Is this comparable to what others acheive? I would be very interested in compiling numbers and trying to compare with others to form some sort of table of target performance figures.

      Bill

    • Bill Foster
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012

        John,

        Just to be sure I’m not missing some speed here, you say 6.5 to 7.5 SOG, that’s not hard on the wind in 8-10 though, is it? Close to Beam reaching perhaps? I just want to squeeze what I can from the boat, although I don’t like to get to wild with rig tensions and the like so I may be missing some potential speed.

        Good point on the 135 vs 155 related to rail meat.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
          And, yes, that carbon/aramid #1 155 is still available. Sitting in is bag in my living room!
          From: "Bill Foster" <bill@...>
          Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 10:50:17 -0400
          To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
            Hard on the wind in 10+ i would say 5.8ish?  beam reaching def in the mid 6, have hit high 7's  in big wind with the kite up, Btw I also have a newly done bottom and the diver cleans my boat often...

            I would take my numbers with a grain of salt, as I have no log just the GPS and I am sure it is skewed by current (= and -) on the sound

            have to shoot you and email about decks etc, I may try to sail over to Mystic area next week, mabye a j28 rendezvous

            Hope this helps.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012

              JP,

              Sounds good. I will be out tonight to burn off some steam with a crowd onboard. Sometime next week a meetup would be great! I can be unreliable however given my wife and I have a 3 month old boy and sailing is on the back burner this summer.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2012
                Hello all,

                I splashed my boat on August 3rd and have been living on it since. Have a new Haarstick main. It is heavy Dacron, full battens and , boy, am I pleased. First time on the boat we sailed about 12 miles upwind all the way in 25 - 35 knot winds, double reefed and the sail performed great. Ran into a serious thunder/lightning squall with gust up to 40 during the last 20 minutes but no problems. This boat loves wind! During the week we experienced all conditions but mostly pretty heavy air. By week's end we had her pretty well dialed in and had no trouble carrying a full main in 24 - 28 knots. I am totally pleased with this new Haarstick main and would highly recommend Haarstick. I used their sails in prior years on my J29 and found them fast and durable. This past week I had plenty of opportunities to buck upwind against lots of boats and so far, no one I have come across has been faster and no one is out pointing me. I have a shoal draft keel so I'm pretty tickled. We were very close reaching yesterday in those 24 - 28 knot winds on Lake Ontario, had pretty high waves and maintained mid 7 knots easily. Highest number reached was 8.4 but we were hitting 8 a lot of the time. This was with an older Dacron jib and full main with back stay on hard, all the way down. As I said before, she loves wind. I am so pleased with how well she handles and how easy she is to manage in these heavy winds. I'll be heading back to the boat in a couple of days for one more week of sailing before returning south. Good to hear from you all.

                Dave,
                HEADROOM

[...]

                53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
                consumerproducts.com
              • Tommy Koe
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 14, 2012
                  Hey Dave,

                  That is great!!  Sounds like all that hard work has finally paid off.  When you were "bucking upwind" against other boats, what kinda boats you talking about?  just curious.

                  It is really nice to know that a 28 fter can handle that kind of wind conditions and still be a joy to sail.  Everyday, it seems that i find something else that i like about the J/28.  I have been tirelessly working on my wife about not settling for something "less expensive" and getting a boat that i believe we will enjoy for years.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 14, 2012
                    Tommy,

                    Too busy to pay much attention but a couple of C&Cs, an S2, a couple of Sabers and numerous unknown. All in the 26 to 32 foot range. It was windy and the encounters were casual. But, it was enough to tell me the boat fully deserves its "pocket rocket" reputation and once again, no discern able problem with the shoal draft keel.