Re: Jazz #289

  • Lenny Reich
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
      Hi, Tom. Welcome aboard!

      I'm wondering about your number. According to J Boats, there were 71 J/28s made. Your boat's hull number is embedded in its Hull Identification Number. For example, my boat is hull #29: its HIN is TSP80029G687, where TSP is the code for the builder (Tillotson-Pearson), 80 is TSP's code for the J/28, and 029 is the hull number. (Then G is for the month it was made [July], 87 is the model year, and 6 [i.e., 86] is the actual year it was made. Confusing, no?)

      Do you ever take Jazz through Hell Gate and into Long Island Sound? I sailed for a number of years out of Raritan Bay, just south of Staten Island, and made the trek up past NYC and into Long Island Sound a few times. That opens up Block Island Sound, Newport, Buzzard's Bay, out to Nantucket. Great sailing there.

      Best -- Lenny
    • thconway1
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
        Lenny:

        I have my number. Thanks for explaining it to me. I have wondered about these details.

        TSP80009C686

        I guess I am hull # 9, made in March 1986, model year 86.

        As far as sailing, I used to race out of Raritan yacht club on a J105 in the late 90's. Before and after that I have raced on the Western Long Island Sound in the IMS 40 class as a main trimmer. Now with the new kids, I got the J28 to cruise with them and do some non spinnaker racing in the area. I miss Block Island Race week and hope to get back in a few years.

        I also spent a few years racing on the great Salt Lake. That was pretty interesting.

        I keep a racing blog at http://thomasconway.net/tc/JazzBlog.asp?a=2009

        I mostly write about the races I do and any incidents involving rules.

        -Tom

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Tom. Welcome aboard!
        >
        > I'm wondering about your number. According to J Boats, there were 71 J/28s made. Your boat's hull number is embedded in its Hull Identification Number. For example, my boat is hull #29: its HIN is TSP80029G687, where TSP is the code for the builder (Tillotson-Pearson), 80 is TSP's code for the J/28, and 029 is the hull number. (Then G is for the month it was made [July], 87 is the model year, and 6 [i.e., 86] is the actual year it was made. Confusing, no?)
        >
        > Do you ever take Jazz through Hell Gate and into Long Island Sound? I sailed for a number of years out of Raritan Bay, just south of Staten Island, and made the trek up past NYC and into Long Island Sound a few times. That opens up Block Island Sound, Newport, Buzzard's Bay, out to Nantucket. Great sailing there.
        >
        > Best -- Lenny

      • Lenny Reich
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
          I had the pleasure of racing with the Raritan Yacht Club in the early to mid 1980s, mostly in a Ranger 23. I wasn't a member but sailed out of Lockwood Marina in Laurence Harbor. It was a nice group of people -- but not a great place to sail!

          Best -- Lenny

          > Lenny:
          >
          > I have my number. Thanks for explaining it to me. I have wondered about these details.
          >
          > TSP80009C686
          >
          > I guess I am hull # 9, made in March 1986, model year 86.
          >
          > As far as sailing, I used to race out of Raritan yacht club on a J105 in the late 90's. Before and after that I have raced on the Western Long Island Sound in the IMS 40 class as a main trimmer. Now with the new kids, I got the J28 to cruise with them and do some non spinnaker racing in the area. I miss Block Island Race week and hope to get back in a few years.
          >
          > I also spent a few years racing on the great Salt Lake. That was pretty interesting.
          >
          > I keep a racing blog at http://thomasconway.net/tc/JazzBlog.asp?a=2009
          >
          > I mostly write about the races I do and any incidents involving rules.
          >
          > -Tom
        • jfws88
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
            Tom, I read your Blog. It seems you do pretty well in your fleet. What kind s of boats to you race againest.

            I have yet to completely figure out how my boat trims out the best. Althought I'm pretty sure the boat like a pretty full main up to about 15 knots of wind. Is your's the same?

            John

            --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Reich" <lsreich@...> wrote:

            > I had the pleasure of racing with the Raritan Yacht Club in the early to mid 1980s, mostly in a Ranger 23. I wasn't a member but sailed out of Lockwood Marina in Laurence Harbor. It was a nice group of people -- but not a great place to sail!
            >
            > Best -- Lenny
            >

            > > Lenny:
            > >
            > > I have my number. Thanks for explaining it to me. I have wondered about these details.
            > >
            > > TSP80009C686
            > >
            > > I guess I am hull # 9, made in March 1986, model year 86.
            > >
            > > As far as sailing, I used to race out of Raritan yacht club on a J105 in the late 90's. Before and after that I have raced on the Western Long Island Sound in the IMS 40 class as a main trimmer. Now with the new kids, I got the J28 to cruise with them and do some non spinnaker racing in the area. I miss Block Island Race week and hope to get back in a few years.
            > >
            > > I also spent a few years racing on the great Salt Lake. That was pretty interesting.
            > >
            > > I keep a racing blog at http://thomasconway.net/tc/JazzBlog.asp?a=2009
            > >
            > > I mostly write about the races I do and any incidents involving rules.
            > >
            > > -Tom

          • thconway1
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
              I race in the non-spinnaker division and do well. In light air, a pearson 26 and Albin Cumulus 28 (sp?) are faster. In anything over 15 knots, we will usually be able to win a race with boatspeed alone. Over 20 knots and no one can keep up.

              I keep a full main up to 25 knots and then reef once or twice. I will load the backstay to flatten it and drop the trav so only the back 15% is working. The 140% jib will do well with that and the boat is pretty balanced. If the water is flat, I can sail with some luff in the jib and still make close to 6 knots.

              While upwind in light air is slow, Jazz will excel going downwind. I think the big main is the difference over the masthead boats that beat me to the windward mark. Getting upwind in light stuff, I foot more than anyone and bring the trav up and sheet out. The key is to just keep the boat moving and not worry about the angle. The boat does not seem to point in the light stuff.

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@...> wrote:

              > Tom, I read your Blog. It seems you do pretty well in your fleet. What kind s of boats to you race againest.
              >
              > I have yet to completely figure out how my boat trims out the best. Althought I'm pretty sure the boat like a pretty full main up to about 15 knots of wind. Is your's the same?
              >
              > John

            • jfws88
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
                Thanks Tom, I guess I have the boat figured out a little better than I thought. I can't get any pointing in light air either, but over 15 knots we are tough to beat. And I use a similar set-up.
                On mondays my competition is a tarton ten and a C&C 35. Usually the boat that makes the fewest mistakes wins. I won last night. On wednesdays I just can't beat an evelyn 26 or a blackwatch 37.

                --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "thconway1" <actionman@...> wrote:

                > I race in the non-spinnaker division and do well. In light air, a pearson 26 and Albin Cumulus 28 (sp?) are faster. In anything over 15 knots, we will usually be able to win a race with boatspeed alone. Over 20 knots and no one can keep up.
                >
                > I keep a full main up to 25 knots and then reef once or twice. I will load the backstay to flatten it and drop the trav so only the back 15% is working. The 140% jib will do well with that and the boat is pretty balanced. If the water is flat, I can sail with some luff in the jib and still make close to 6 knots.
                >
                > While upwind in light air is slow, Jazz will excel going downwind. I think the big main is the difference over the masthead boats that beat me to the windward mark. Getting upwind in light stuff, I foot more than anyone and bring the trav up and sheet out. The key is to just keep the boat moving and not worry about the angle. The boat does not seem to point in the light stuff.
                >
                > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "jfws88" <jfws88@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Tom, I read your Blog. It seems you do pretty well in your fleet. What kind s of boats to you race againest.
                > >
                > > I have yet to completely figure out how my boat trims out the best. Althought I'm pretty sure the boat like a pretty full main up to about 15 knots of wind. Is your's the same?
                > >
                > > John

              • j28sailor50
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009
                  Good information on tuning. Has anyone from the group seen or done a Polar Diagram for a J28?
                • jfws88
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2009
                    Regarding tuning, I'found that using tuning guides from a J30 give pretty good results. The rigs and performance chactoristics are very similar of the two boats in fact I fly a used j30 spinnaker. Attached is the UK version but there are others. I havn't found a source of the polars that I could read but I bet it's because I havn't looked hard enough. The J30 class site is a good source of info.

                    Lenny, good news on the link from J boats. I also sent them an email request for the link.

                    Somtime this weekend I'll post a letter I received from Rod Johnston regarding my PHRF rateing appeal a couple of years ago.

                    As far as I'm concerned they're a great bunch of folks to deal with.

                    http://www.ukhalsey.com/sails/onedesign/j30/J30Tuning.pdf