Re: [J28Sailors] Rudder Bearing Repair

  • J Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
      I would use 3/8" or 7/16" flax packing. Not sure the brand-type is vital...but the gore-tex packing is very premium and well regarded. Make sure to offset the ends of each layer by 120 deg.
      From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
      Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
      To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] Rudder Bearing Repair

      I will have to check on it .
      What size and kind/make is best?
      Hans
      From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
      Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:07:16 -0400 (EDT)

      Hi All,
      I forgot to add That I replaced "Stuffing" in the stuffing box when the J was on the hard,
      however it has worked fine until recently, I don't quite know why,
      should i remove the "Packing" and start over?
      input Please.
      Hans Andersen,
      J 28,
      Last Dance
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
        To all,

        If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?

        TX

        Tommy
      • J Smith
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
          Yes
          From: Tommy Koe <evenflow457@...>
          Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com<J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [J28Sailors] Holding Tank

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
            Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

            > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
            >
            > TX
            >
            > Tommy

          • Tommy Koe
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
              Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                Tommy,

                Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:03 PM, "Tommy Koe" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

                Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                >
                > TX
                >
                > Tommy

              • Tommy Koe
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                  Hi Roy,

                  I live in Melbourne, Fl.  East coast, just south of Cocoa Beach.  Do you have a fin keel?  Also, do you have pics available?  Where are you located?

                  Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                  Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work
                  Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                  > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                  >
                  > TX
                  >
                  > Tommy

                • jhoagg123
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 26, 2013
                    All,
                    Anyone happen to have an extra holding tank in good shape (which would be weird I admit), or have the dimensions of the holding tank? Thanks.