Re: [J28Sailors] Rudder Bearing Repair

  • Hans Andersen
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hi All,
      I forgot to add That I replaced "Stuffing" in the stuffing box when the J was on the hard,
      however it has worked fine until recently, I don't quite know why,
      should i remove the "Packing" and start over?
      input Please.
      Hans Andersen,
      J 28,
      Last Dance
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
        Yes, I would remove and start over. What size packing did you use?
        From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
        Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
          I will have to check on it .
          What size and kind/make is best?
          Hans
          Yes, I would remove and start over. What size packing did you use?

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
            I would use 3/8" or 7/16" flax packing. Not sure the brand-type is vital...but the gore-tex packing is very premium and well regarded. Make sure to offset the ends of each layer by 120 deg.
            From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
            Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
            To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
              To all,

              If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?

              TX

              Tommy
            • J Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
                Yes
                From: Tommy Koe <evenflow457@...>
                Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
                To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com<J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [J28Sailors] Holding Tank

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                  > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                  >
                  > TX
                  >
                  > Tommy

                • Tommy Koe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                    Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                      Tommy,

                      Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                      On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:03 PM, "Tommy Koe" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

                      Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                      Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                      > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                      >
                      > TX
                      >
                      > Tommy

                    • Tommy Koe
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                        Hi Roy,

                        I live in Melbourne, Fl.  East coast, just south of Cocoa Beach.  Do you have a fin keel?  Also, do you have pics available?  Where are you located?

                        Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                        Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work
                        Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                        > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                        >
                        > TX
                        >
                        > Tommy

                      • jhoagg123
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 26, 2013
                          All,
                          Anyone happen to have an extra holding tank in good shape (which would be weird I admit), or have the dimensions of the holding tank? Thanks.