Re: [J28Sailors] Rudder Bearing Repair

  • Hans Andersen
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hello All J 28 Sailors
      I have some tight spots when I turn the wheel, mainly at the end of turning radius.
      I removed the Rudder post stuffing box plate and even when the top plate off, the wheel is very
      tight to turn.
      Any suggestions?
      Any Help will be appreciated,
      Hans Andersen,
      J28
      Last Dance
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi All,
        I forgot to add That I replaced "Stuffing" in the stuffing box when the J was on the hard,
        however it has worked fine until recently, I don't quite know why,
        should i remove the "Packing" and start over?
        input Please.
        Hans Andersen,
        J 28,
        Last Dance

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
          Yes, I would remove and start over. What size packing did you use?
          From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
          Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
          To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
            I will have to check on it .
            What size and kind/make is best?
            Hans
            Yes, I would remove and start over. What size packing did you use?

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
              I would use 3/8" or 7/16" flax packing. Not sure the brand-type is vital...but the gore-tex packing is very premium and well regarded. Make sure to offset the ends of each layer by 120 deg.
              From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
              Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
              To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
                To all,

                If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?

                TX

                Tommy
              • J Smith
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
                  Yes
                  From: Tommy Koe <evenflow457@...>
                  Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
                  To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com<J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: [J28Sailors] Holding Tank

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                    Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                    > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                    >
                    > TX
                    >
                    > Tommy

                  • Tommy Koe
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                      Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                        Tommy,

                        Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                        On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:03 PM, "Tommy Koe" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

                        Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                        Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                        > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                        >
                        > TX
                        >
                        > Tommy

                      • Tommy Koe
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                          Hi Roy,

                          I live in Melbourne, Fl.  East coast, just south of Cocoa Beach.  Do you have a fin keel?  Also, do you have pics available?  Where are you located?

                          Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                          Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work
                          Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                          > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                          >
                          > TX
                          >
                          > Tommy

                        • jhoagg123
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 26, 2013
                            All,
                            Anyone happen to have an extra holding tank in good shape (which would be weird I admit), or have the dimensions of the holding tank? Thanks.