Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Welcome

  • John Power
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
      I have a doyle 3/4 batten main from the Salem loft.
      It's a cruising sail that would keep most racers happy.

      I am going to them next year for a new job and maybe an assym

      On Jun 29, 2012, at 6:18 AM, John <jfws88@...> wrote:

      My rating in Narragansett bay is 180 spinn and 196 non spin. I use a 135 genny as my primary head sail.

      J30 chute fit perfectly, I have one but they are hard to find and the ones that the class guys give up are "well used"

      Roy did your new main come from the Doyle loft in EG, Todd measured my boat for the fit.

      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
        John,

        We did get the main from Todd, thanks for being the sample boat. The new main was 8" taller and about 6" wider than our old one, I guess the old one would qualify as a cruising main.
        We use a 155%.

        Roy

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        From: jfws88@...
        Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:18:39 +0000
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Welcome

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
          If you go with the J30 chute you may need an oversized pole and take a 3 sec hit on the racing rating. The J30's "J" is about 12" more than the J28 I think. The height is the same. The difference between racing and cruising is the spinnaker. Doyle doesn't recommend an asym w/o a sprit for racing unless you can mount it masthead and Hall spars doesn't recommend using a masthead spinnaker on the fractional rig, not enough support at the top, unless you want to go with a carbon fiber mast for about $15K.

          Roy

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

          #11 WHALAYED