Re: [J28Sailors] Welcome

  • Hans Andersen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
      Hi everyone
      What ratings do you get in different places,
      I sail on Lake St Clair near Detroit, with a furling Jib and usually go Jam class?
      Hans,
      "Last Dance" J28
      #11 WHALAYED

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
        We are rated at 171 racing and 186 for cruising here in New England. We race in the cruising fleet. 5 races so far this year and 3 bullets. We think the new main is working.
        Barefoot Children #29

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

        #11 WHALAYED

      • John Power
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
          What's the difference between your racing and cruising rating?   What size Jin?   I'm going to start phrf racing on the sound.  I have a spin Burris pretty small.   Thinking of getting either a 150.  Or a j 30 chute.  Any opinions?

          Sent from my iPhone

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

          #11 WHALAYED

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
            My rating in Narragansett bay is 180 spinn and 196 non spin. I use a 135 genny as my primary head sail.

            J30 chute fit perfectly, I have one but they are hard to find and the ones that the class guys give up are "well used"

            Roy did your new main come from the Doyle loft in EG, Todd measured my boat for the fit.

            John

            --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, John Power <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

            > What's the difference between your racing and cruising rating? What size Jin? I'm going to start phrf racing on the sound. I have a spin Burris pretty small. Thinking of getting either a 150. Or a j 30 chute. Any opinions?
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Jun 28, 2012, at 11:05 PM, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:
            >
            > > We are rated at 171 racing and 186 for cruising here in New England. We race in the cruising fleet. 5 races so far this year and 3 bullets. We think the new main is working.
            > > Barefoot Children #29
            > >
            > > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            > > From: hansandsharon@...
            > > Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 22:21:42 -0400
            > > Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] Welcome
            > >

            > > Hi everyone
            > > What ratings do you get in different places,
            > > I sail on Lake St Clair near Detroit, with a furling Jib and usually go Jam class?
            > > Hans,
            > > "Last Dance" J28

          • John Power
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
              I have a doyle 3/4 batten main from the Salem loft.
              It's a cruising sail that would keep most racers happy.

              I am going to them next year for a new job and maybe an assym

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
                John,

                We did get the main from Todd, thanks for being the sample boat. The new main was 8" taller and about 6" wider than our old one, I guess the old one would qualify as a cruising main.
                We use a 155%.

                Roy

                To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                From: jfws88@...
                Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:18:39 +0000
                Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Welcome

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2012
                  If you go with the J30 chute you may need an oversized pole and take a 3 sec hit on the racing rating. The J30's "J" is about 12" more than the J28 I think. The height is the same. The difference between racing and cruising is the spinnaker. Doyle doesn't recommend an asym w/o a sprit for racing unless you can mount it masthead and Hall spars doesn't recommend using a masthead spinnaker on the fractional rig, not enough support at the top, unless you want to go with a carbon fiber mast for about $15K.

                  Roy

                  To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

                  #11 WHALAYED