J28 Curious

  • Tommy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
      Hello to all. I see that first post did not make it. So here i go again. :)

      I have been sailing for a long time and have mostly raced, and am ready to slow down and start cruising. The normal cruising boats, Cat, Hunter, C&C, really do not appeal to me until last month when I can across the J28. Nice Boat!!! It really fits my wifes and my needs for what I want out of a boat. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping you all could help with before I buy one.

      - Does everyone seem to have the rudder "issue" that I have read about?
      - There is a shoal draft in Florida (where I live). how well does the shoal draft sail to her rating??
      - Also, I have been in contact with the broker of that boat and it seems that the rudder draws more than the 3'11" fin keel. Can anyone confirm that?? That cannot be good for the rudder if that is the case.
      - How many people can the cockpit comfortably seat?
      - And lastly, is anyone in or near Florida that is considering selling their well maintained, meticolously detailed J28? lol

      I am planning a trip to the west coast of florida in 2 weeks to go see the boat and talk with the owner.

      Any other info that you all have would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to see the boat.

      From what I have read, the 5' draft seems to sail well to her rating. Not that it is that important, but if your going racing, you might as well be try and kick some cans while you are out there.

      Thanks again to all for any feedback that you have.

      Sincerely,

      Tommy
    • davidhastingsj28
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

        > Hello to all,
        >
        > This is a message test to see if I sent my previous post to the right group
        >
        > Tommy

        Yes, it's the right group. I joined a couple of days ago but so far there has been no new activity. I recently(3 years ago) purchased J28 #30. It was on the hard for five years prior to my purchase and needed a lot of work. I have now completed restoration of the interior, stripping the bottom and applying barrier coats plus good bottom paint, deck repairs and lots of little things but the boat now looks like new and is ready for action. I will be launching it the end of July in Lake Ontarior where I have it stored and sailing the mont of August. I now live in Florida and hope to bring it here in another year or so. What boat do you have?

        Prior to this I owned and raced a J29, the Incredible Hull, for 28 years and prior to that an J24 so I am a J nut.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
          Tommy,

          I just posted a note to you. Mine is a shoal draft and, like you, I have been racing all my life. I am pleased with the shoal draft keel. I think it does well and, in fact, I think it will be a rating beater but I have yet to race it. The shoal draft keel and rudder are exactly the same length. The fin keel would be longer than the rudder. I am very happy with my new J28 although it certainly doesn't perform like a J29. Even so, it's a great boat to sail and is easy to handle in all conditions. I always hoped to retire to this boat and it has not disappointed me. I wanted the shoal draft as I am now located on the Gulf coast of Florida where theater is shallow. My boat is stilly up north on Lake Ontario where I moved from but I hope to get it down here within a year.

          On Jun 27, 2012, at 2:44 PM, "Tommy" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

[...]

          From what I have read, the 5' draft seems to sail well to her rating. Not that it is that important, but if your going racing, you might as well be try and kick some cans while you are out there.

          Thanks again to all for any feedback that you have.

          Sincerely,

          Tommy

          Top 5 Weight-Loss Pills
          Free Report: The 5 Most Effective Diet Products of 2012.
          DietRatings.org
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
            One more thing, I am not experiencing any serious rudder issues. I have done some modification to the rudder arrangement but all in all, I think it's a real good set up.

[...]

            From what I have read, the 5' draft seems to sail well to her rating. Not that it is that important, but if your going racing, you might as well be try and kick some cans while you are out there.

            Thanks again to all for any feedback that you have.

            Sincerely,

            Tommy

            53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
            consumerproducts.com
          • Tommy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
              Hi David!

              Thanks for the response. That is a relief that the keel and the rudder are the same depth. I would hate to run aground on the rudder.
              I live on the East Coast of Florida, Melbourne to be exact. Same here, it is around 6 ft deep in the intercoastal waterway, but there are shallow spots. I am hoping to see if anyone has raced the shoal draft and how they have done. Once a racer, always a racer i guess.

              Are you familar with the J28 for sale in Port Charlotte?

              http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/J-Boats-Shoal-Draft-Model-2302707/Port-Charlotte/FL/United-States

              It looks like it has been well taken care of. I do have a question. I am well aware of the "premium price" for certain types of boats, and J Boats definitely meet that type of boat, but do you think $33,600 is a fair price for this boat??

              Please don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for, unfortunately, at this time my wife thinks I am looking at boats in the 15k - 20k range. (Catalina, Hunters, C&C's, ugh) But I don't think I can sell spending 33k for the boat. However, I am pressing forward. I am going to go look at her in a couple of weeks and if I love what I see, will get a survey done on the boat. Then I will put in the "low" offer.

              If I can't find a boat at the right price, I may just give up on cruising. I like the J28 that much (just from all the info I have gathered) And the other boats really do not thrill me. I love to sail, but you have to love what your sailing as well.

              Anyway, thanks again

              Tommy

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2012
                Hi Tommy,

                I am not familiar with that boat but it looks to be in fine shape with dingy included, I think it's a steal! Every time I work on my boat I come away so impressed with the quality of materials, the excellent design and they value. That boat new today would easily be 100K. A real good selling point, in my opinion, is that these boats do hold their value and most similar sized crushing boats don't. Of course, nothing sails like a J as far as I'm concerned. My boat was in real nasty condition when I bought it but it came back to like new condition with very little cost on my part. Just a lot of elbow grease. I'll send you a few before and after shots FYI. I have sailed my boat two short seasons ow while still working on her and I have yet to be disappointed. She handles beautifully. My wife, like yours, wanted me to settle for a Hunter, Catalina or other similar inexpensive boat but I simply would not hear of it. There are boats with sails and there are sailboats. The J28 is a sailboat. I urge you to seriously consider it. I don't feel his price is out of line. If you've look much, you'll see the going rate for a  J28 is typically in the mid thirties.

                On Jun 27, 2012, at 5:50 PM, "Tommy" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

> [...]

                > > - How many people can the cockpit comfortably seat?
                > > - And lastly, is anyone in or near Florida that is considering selling their well maintained, meticolously detailed J28? lol
                > >
                > > I am planning a trip to the west coast of florida in 2 weeks to go see the boat and talk with the owner.
                > >
                > > Any other info that you all have would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to see the boat.
                > >
                > > From what I have read, the 5' draft seems to sail well to her rating. Not that it is that important, but if your going racing, you might as well be try and kick some cans while you are out there.
                > >
                > > Thanks again to all for any feedback that you have.
                > >
                > > Sincerely,
                > >
                > > Tommy

                > Top 5 Weight-Loss Pills
                > Free Report: The 5 Most Effective Diet Products of 2012.

              • Tommy Koe
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2012
                  Hi David,

                  Thanks for the pics.  that is a lot of work!!!!!  That is impressive.  You have a beautiful boat. And thanks for the advice.  You never want to rip someone off (unless you have no character) when it comes to buying and selling things, but I definitely want to get a good deal as well.  It will probably come down to the survey and then the money talk will ensue.

                  one issue that I have is that I have been in contact with the broker that is selling the boat and inquired about bottom paint on the boat.  His response is yes there is bottom paint on the boat.

                  I do know that depending on what bottom paint was used, it may not be any good since the boat sits on a lift.  and if the owner does not recall what paint he had used, I will be forced to remove all the bottom paint and start over.  That could be costly.

                  I am though, really excited about going over and seeing the boat.  I believe I will not be disappointed.

                  Tx again.