Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Keel Sump

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16 6:27 PM
      Went back tonight and everything was dry.

      I think I am going to look into having the keel bolts re-torqued.  This could simply be a case of the bedding/sealant working loose over 20+ years and water seeping.  There is some 'darkening' of  the gelcoat around the aft-most keel bolt.  I just don't have enough information to make an educated guess at this point.  I really do not want to drop the keel.  Will be calling around locally this week to do more investigation.

      John,  really?  you went out and bought a roof instead?  Shame. LOL.

      On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM, John <jfws88@...> wrote:

      Jason, I too have done this, sponged out the sump only to find more water when I come back. I have no idea where it's comeing from. I alway thought the mast leak or the hause pipe.

      I'd love to buy your sail but my boat funds went to a new roff for the house. Wrong priorities I guess.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17 8:52 AM
        I have noticed water too and we have a cover on the boat. I attribute it to the main sail channel. Late last fall I injected some silicon into the channel just above where it meets the cabin. We were also seeing drips and water stains on the floor at the mast base. The silicon seems to have fixed that problem for the winter. Guess we will see what happens after the cover comes off.

        Roy

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        From: jfws88@...
        Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 00:31:01 +0000
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Keel Sump

        Jason, I too have done this, sponged out the sump only to find more water when I come back. I have no idea where it's comeing from. I alway thought the mast leak or the hause pipe.

        I'd love to buy your sail but my boat funds went to a new roff for the house. Wrong priorities I guess.

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone ever experienced any issues in the keel sump area?. I ask,
        > because I continue to see water accumulating in the bilge when I don't
        > expect it to be there. For example:
        >
        > The boat is on the hard. I vacuumed out all the water until the bilge is
        > visibly dry to the eye. 10-15 mins later I return to find a small amount
        > of water (a couple of tablespoons).
        >
        > This is leading me to wonder if the sump is somehow compromised and
        > allowing water to "soak in" and then seep back out over time.
        >
        > Thoughts?
        >
        > -Jason

      • J Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17 9:17 AM
          Agree that the mast can be a source of water incusion. In this case, the area around the mast is dry. To be sure, I isolated the drain holes forward and aft with temporary plugs.

          My problem is mostly around the aft most keel bolt.

          From: Roy Briscoe <roysail@...>
          Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:52:50 +0000
          To: <j28sailors@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: RE: [J28Sailors] Re: Keel Sump

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          From: jfws88@...
          Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 00:31:01 +0000

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 17 6:06 PM
            Ok Folks I just remembered and will give you another source for the water.
            There is a section of the bilge behind the last stringer that drains water coming from the stern area. The passage can be clogged with junk over the years. I found this because after hearing water slushly under the floor in front of the engine and not knowing how this water was supposed to get to the bilge, I cut a section out of the floor. Ho and behold the passage was right in flont of the stringer and clogged.

            I unclogged it and drilled a limber hole in the springer, no more slushing water.

            You should be able to clean this out with a coat hanger.

            good luck,

            John

            Jason, someone would to have to give me a very good reason to do anything to the keel bolts. I put a wrecnh on mine once and couldn't move them. In my opinon it comes under the definition of leave well enough alone.
            J boats have a very good history of holding on to thier keels.

            John