Barient Winch Maintenance

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2012
      Hello all,

      I am wondering if anyone has any experience/advice cleaning and taking down the winches on the J28 I believe I have the model 19 two speed self tailers, but I have also been told they are model 23.

      This will be my first time attempting this task having been small boat sailor till recently.

      I am wondering about the springs and pawls. Supposedly Defender and West make a part for this and a Lewmar rep told my they would fit, but I have heard otherwise.

      I would like to know as much as possible before I take the winch apart.

      Thanks. Hope you are all looking forward to spring as much as Me!

      JP
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2012

        Links to teardown instructions for both the 19 and 23 winches.

        http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/winches/bar23_2sp.htm

        http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/winches/bar19_2sp.htm

        The Lewmar pawl and spring kit from West Marine should work fine.  You might also find that the pawls are in good shape and can be reused.

        Good luck.

      • Kurt
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2012
          The pawls themselves will most likely be fine. It is the springs that may have broken. I agree that the ones from West marine will most likely work.

          The most important thing to remember when lubing the winch is to NEVER use grease on the pawls. The grease should be reserved for the bearings. Oil is the correct lube for the pawls. I have always used a couple of drops of motor oil with good success.

          Kurt