Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Rudder Bearing Repair

  • john power
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2011
      HI Bill

      Sorry to say I have not gotten very far!  I had my boat ready to haul on Columbus day weekend, but the yard was slow and she was hauled the week before the nasty northeaster.  So after the snow melted, I finally got the cover on,
      then work, frostbiting and the holidays consumed my time.  So I have done little other than pull the rudder. I also am about 90 mins from the boat so the shortened days are not helping

      I dont think the bearing issue is that big of a problem. I do think the previous owners were raped on the job by the yard!  I will have some pics to share soon. It looks to be a pretty simple fix to me and the yard.
      I am glad to hear your decks are dry. I hope mine are the same.. I suspect they are as percussion soundings of the deck all sound nice and crisp. There are no soft spots just the surveyors moisture meter readings is all I have to go on.  I did have some minor leaking at the chain plate and in one or two genoa track bolts last spring, but it was after having sailing down here in a Nasty Blow (3-4 days with a solid 24-30, and one day into the 40s with wind on the bow the whole way.)

      I was originally going to use a product called CPES, but other boat owners have given me mixed review.  I am hoping the fittings come off the deck easily and then just fill with epoxy and rebed with 4200.
      Hopefully there will be no moisture. I do plan to fill the area around the chainplates glass/epoxy to prevent issues in the future.

      My yard will not not let me use a dehumidifier in the boat over the winter so you are lucky in that regard.  Thinking I will open up the boat over the winter hope for dry air and perhaps do some drying with a heat gun followed by acetone....this assuming i have a false meter reading as you did.

      Id love to come down and take a peak in person.

      Hopefully I can keep the whole project on budget as there have been a lot of unexpected this year and I am working on a teacher budget!

      I would love more details as to how your progressing and will share the same. Pics soon I promise!

      cell is 860 305 0657 if you want to chat some nite

      Thanks for staying in touch

      JP
      On Dec 6, 2011, at 10:50 AM, wjmfoster wrote:

      JP,

      How goes the deck hardware/wet core work? If I am correct you had some suspect spots you were going to attend to this winter, and i was just wondering if you had started on that. We talked about sharing info on products and methods and wanted to touch base.

      I started removing hardware this past weekend and much to my surprise i am finding the deck around most fastenings to be dry, and not rotten or discolored at all. For a very few fastener holes this is not the case, and i will be investigating further to be sure i do not have further hidden issues. I am now somewhat suspect that the moisture meter may be detecting moisture behind the cabin liner as well as what might be in the deck.

      I'm also using a dehumidifier inside the boat to keep it as dry as i can and to help pull any moisture out of the deck/laminate/core while i have things opened up.

      Thanks JP, and let me know if i'm mistaken on your plans this year.

      Regards,

      Bill

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, john power <sailingmaster@...> wrote:

      > I have the rudder out of my boat, finally after the OCTOBER BLIZZARD
      >
      > I have some pics as well, the west manual seems way to complicated,
      > in fact after seein how simple the bearing are on the 28 I would do
      > the repair without the boat yard
      >
      > stay tuned for more...
      >
      > JP
      > On Nov 19, 2011, at 7:26 PM, wjmfoster wrote:
      >
      > > To anyone who has replaced/repaired the rudder bearings on the J 28,
      > > or those thinking of doing so. In my round of research i found this
      > > material from West Systems and i was wondering if anyone has tried
      > > this repair and if not, what do others think of it. see section "8.4
      > > Repairing worn rudder beraings" on page 63 of 91.
      > >
      > > http://westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-and-Maintenance.pdf
      > >
      > > Experience and opinions welcome.
      > >
      > > Regards, to all.
      > >
      > > Bill

    • Hans Andersen
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hello All J 28 Sailors
        I have some tight spots when I turn the wheel, mainly at the end of turning radius.
        I removed the Rudder post stuffing box plate and even when the top plate off, the wheel is very
        tight to turn.
        Any suggestions?
        Any Help will be appreciated,
        Hans Andersen,
        J28
        Last Dance

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
          Hi All,
          I forgot to add That I replaced "Stuffing" in the stuffing box when the J was on the hard,
          however it has worked fine until recently, I don't quite know why,
          should i remove the "Packing" and start over?
          input Please.
          Hans Andersen,
          J 28,
          Last Dance

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2012
            Yes, I would remove and start over. What size packing did you use?
            From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
            Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 21:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
            To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
              I will have to check on it .
              What size and kind/make is best?
              Hans
              Yes, I would remove and start over. What size packing did you use?

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
                I would use 3/8" or 7/16" flax packing. Not sure the brand-type is vital...but the gore-tex packing is very premium and well regarded. Make sure to offset the ends of each layer by 120 deg.
                From: Hans Andersen <hansandsharon@...>
                Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
                To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
                  To all,

                  If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?

                  TX

                  Tommy
                • J Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
                    Yes
                    From: Tommy Koe <evenflow457@...>
                    Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com<J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [J28Sailors] Holding Tank

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                      Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                      > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                      >
                      > TX
                      >
                      > Tommy

                    • Tommy Koe
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                        Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                          Tommy,

                          Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                          On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:03 PM, "Tommy Koe" <evenflow457@...> wrote:

                          Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work

                          Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                          > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                          >
                          > TX
                          >
                          > Tommy

                        • Tommy Koe
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                            Hi Roy,

                            I live in Melbourne, Fl.  East coast, just south of Cocoa Beach.  Do you have a fin keel?  Also, do you have pics available?  Where are you located?

                            Where are you located? We are thinking of upsizing to a J32 or a Sabre 34. And we have a holding tank and a macerator and fairly new sails.

                            Hey John. I don't know. The J/28 that I am looking at, the owner removed the holding tank. So before I consider buying the boat just wanna know how things work
                            Tom, just as important, what happened to your holding tank?

                            > If there is no holding tank in the J/28, can the shower in the head still be used?
                            >
                            > TX
                            >
                            > Tommy

                          • jhoagg123
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 26, 2013
                              All,
                              Anyone happen to have an extra holding tank in good shape (which would be weird I admit), or have the dimensions of the holding tank? Thanks.