Re: looking for j28 for sale

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2011
      Just some comments regarding the rudder. I had mine out a few years ago. Yes, it had water in it. Yes I thought the bearing was shot, it wasn't. When I took the rubber out I could move the blade and feel the "slop". Once removed I only measured a few thou clearance between the ss Colar on the post and the delrin bearing. That wasn't enough for me to pull the bearing. My bearing did not have set screws or grease fittings it was bonded. This design is a seawater lubricated journal bearing. Properly aligned this would last the life of the boat. Improper aligment yields rapid wear.

      If you must change the bearing I highly recommend you find a machine shop that can spin the rudder in a lathe and make sure the top and bottom bearings are true. This step may prove to be the most difficult but if the shaft isn't true having a free wheel will be hard. Once that is done and the bottom bearing is replaced the top bear should be loosened and "floated" in before tightening. You'll know this is done right if you can spin the rudder with ease before putting the quandrant back on and before setting the gland packing. .

      My top stock collects water also. This year I put a piece of duct tape over the top, that helped. This year I'm going to fill the tube with foam and seal it. I don't like water getting to where I don't want it. I use tension on the packing gland and tension on the rudder cables to control my wheel effort. My wheel spins very easy ie finger tip control and great feel.

      My 2 cents

      John

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "wjmfoster" <wjmfoster@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt" <kbianculli@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Bill,
      > >
      > > I response to your earlier question about moisture at the strut and if there is any core there... There isn't any core for approx 6" on either side of the centerline. I found this out when I put in new speed and depth transducers.
      > >
      > > In my opinion pumping the water out of the rudder stock with a long hose and hand pump is the way to go. I remember the first year I was laying up my J-28 for the winter and discovering the water inside the rudder. I had a moment of dread until I pumped it out and realized (by sticking my finger in it and tasting it) that it was fresh water. It turns out (in my case at least) the water I have to pump out each year is just condensation that pools in the rudder stock and not salt water finding its way in. Hopefully yours is the same.
      > >
      > > Kurt
      > > Hull #71
      > >
      > > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "wjmfoster" <wjmfoster@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > JP,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, i'll get back to you via personal email, but you have sparked my interest with your comments about the rudder.
      > > >
      > > > For one, how is your rudder bearing? i have noticed my lower bearing has about 1/4" total slop from side to side so i am not too worried yet, but its going on the list of things to address down the road, as i understand this is a failing on the J28.
      > > >
      > > > I also noticed when looking in the inspection port above the rudder post it is hollow, fiberglass tube and i could see some water isnide the tube. i was not yet sure what to do about this, but for one figured water inside the tube where the boat had been out of the water for 2 years was not good, but also good. ie: it had not drained out indicating it was/is watertight?
      > > >
      > > > you drill a hole in your rudder to drain it, when you did this how much came out? where exactly did you drill it? the post does not run down all the way to the bottom of the blade as best i can tell. is there a reported issue with water freezing indise the rudder post and then cracking the post? very curious and somewhat worrying. i might try pumping this water out with a hand pump and long hose and seeing how far down the holow shaft goes tongiht and loooking into this more.
      > > >
      > > > I'm very interested to hear what you have found.

    • wjmfoster
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 7, 2011
        John,

        Great comments and they are appreciated. It sounds like some experience others, myself included can benefit from.

        I did pump out my rudder post over the weekend and i did not taste the water that came out, as it was pink. So i'm assuming someone in the past at least had the sense to put propylene glycol in it to prevent freezing damage. I'm going to try to keep it dry, i'll tape it to see how that does and check it in a few weeks.

        I still have not drilled a hole up in the side of my rudder blade as this just seems extreme. the hole i drilled in from the bottom felt wet at least a day after drilling it. so it may be working as intended and im going with that approach in winter for now.

        On another note, has anyone found the air filter housing of the 2GM to be heavily corroded inside and out on the lower half of it? I'm wondering why this is with mine and if its's because of the engine burping seawater back through due to hard starting in the past. if so, how come it did not suffer damage due to hydrolock? or maybe it did and i just don't know it.

        Bill