Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?

  • icdb03
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2011
      Hi gang,
      I'm in the market for a boat if anyone can steer me.

      Let's save owner & me broker fee.

      All considered; preferences per subject.

      Best,
      Christopher
    • J Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2011
        I have to ask, why shoal draft?
        From: "icdb03" <cdb@...>
        Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:48:13 -0000
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2011
          Yeah and I wonder how many of the 71 boat made were shoal drafts? 5' draft is not much, many larger boats have 5' keel as their shoal draft.

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          From: jason3317@...
          Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:50:25 +0000

          I have to ask, why shoal draft?

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2011
            I suspect less than 10% of the total were shoal.  I've only ever seen 1 listed for sale.  You save 1 ft, but I will bet the performance hit is significant.

            To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            From: jason3317@...
            Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:50:25 +0000

            I have to ask, why shoal draft?

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
              i lucked into my first tour inside/out of an actual j/28 this summer. shoal draft model. owner had owned/sailed a j/29 for 20 years prior to purchasing this boat. he said he didn't find the shoal-28 "that much less able" (quotes for something like that) pointing-wise vs his old (and presumably standard-keel'd) j/29. and comparatively i'd imagine a j/29, if anything pointing higher than a j/28. for what worth...

              any other performance hit besides pointing?

              counterpoising that hit (acknowledged, however slight or large)—wouldn't the shoal model track better + afford some speed advantage surfing offwind?

              tia for all thoughts.

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

              > I suspect less than 10% of the total were shoal. I've only ever seen 1
              > listed for sale. You save 1 ft, but I will bet the performance hit is
              > significant.
              >
              > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Yeah and I wonder how many of the 71 boat made were shoal drafts? 5' draft
              > > is not much, many larger boats have 5' keel as their shoal draft.
              > >
              > > ------------------------------
              > > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              > > From: jason3317@...
              > > Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:50:25 +0000
              > > Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?
              > >

              > > I have to ask, why shoal draft?
              > > ------------------------------
              > > *From: * "icdb03" <cdb@...>
              > > *Sender: * J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              > > *Date: *Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:48:13 -0000
              > > *To: *<J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
              > > *ReplyTo: * J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              > > *Subject: *[J28Sailors] Any J 28's for sale? E Coast, Shoal Draft?
              > >

              > > Hi gang,
              > > I'm in the market for a boat if anyone can steer me.
              > >
              > > Let's save owner & me broker fee.
              > >
              > > All considered; preferences per subject.
              > >
              > > Best,
              > > Christopher

            • John Power
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
                Where r u sailing?  I would agree that the deeper keel would point beet and be better suited to sailing in a lot of wind.  I just got a 28 this year and I am very impressed with the boat especially in a breeze.  The boat Loves 15 -20 and I have sailed her into the 40's with reeves main.  The 135 seems perfect for most conditions, but she does point higher in lite air with a 150 genny

                I do think the deeper keel will point higher, but if u r not racing do you care? 90 % of my time on a cruiser is spent blasting off on a reach and when the wind goes lite you will love the yanmar

                Also, pointing is really a function of speed thru the water.  The faster the water goes over the blades the higher the p boat can point.  Once the boat is up to speed the shape/draft of the genoa ( rea proper rig tune). And the leech tension in the main add further to your pointing.

                I just got my boat this year, lived Aboard fir the whole summer.   This group has been a great source of info. I would be glad to email u directly regarding what u have learned about the boat.

                I bought my boat thru a private sale and it saved s ton. I know if a boat that was up for sale thru a private party but dint know if the owner would want me to give that info here. If u email me I will give u that info

                Good luck you will love the boat