Re: [J28Sailors] Introducing "Verve", hull #27

  • jason3317@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2009
      I have a main sail sitting in a bag. It is made by North, circa 1996. Lightly used. If you are interested, I could take it the local sailmaker to have it evaluated.

      If it turns out the sail is usable, I will make you a great deal as. I don't believe I will ever hoist it again...lol.

      From: "j28verve"
      Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 19:15:45 -0000
      To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [J28Sailors] Introducing "Verve", hull #27

      I co-own a J-28, hull #27 named "Verve", and keep it on a mooring in Marblehead, MA. There is at least one other J/28 in the area; both our boats were launched yesterday on a foggy day. This is my third year owning the boat and my only regret is that I would have loved to own this boat in new, mint condition as it is wonderfully simple to sail.

      Over the past three years, we've done a lot of our own maintenance or had the work done at different yards – with varying results. This year, we did only basic maintenance and got the boat launched earlier than in previous years. Previously, we've done the following projects:

      -Replaced the wet exhaust.

      -Replaced the cockpit drain hoses; had the transom re-gelcoated.

      -Removed and re-bedded the steering pedestal; replaced the Edson guard with a taller Navpod guard and instrument panel and added a Raymarine GPS chartplotter and fish finder (fantastic upgrade).

      -Replace the original VHF with new, threw away the original DS and KM since the GPS/fish finder do this better.

      -Replaced the sump and bilge pumps.

      -Had the mast & boom repainted white (a lot of work and only fair results).

      -Replaced the lexan in all three hatches (well worth doing but more expensive than you'd think).

      -Had the actual rudder repaired – water had been seeping from the inside (core) out.

      -Had the years of accumulated bottom paint soda-blasted; fixed the blister and painted a new barrier coat (well worth the effort).
      Replaced all the running rigging, including the Harken main traveler car (which I still hate).

      -Purchased a used, asymmetrical spinnaker to go along with our serviceable symmetrical spinnaker.

      -Purchased a Fairclough canvas boat cover & frame that is probably nicer than anything on our entire boat.

      And so it goes. We still have some problems which are limited these days to time & money:

      -The rudder bearing needs replacing. This has been mentioned by several other people in this forum. Last year, someone at a different yard in Newburyport tried, but ultimately gave up dropping the rudder, as it wasn't coming out easily and he worried that he couldn't do a good job. We continue to experience a minor amount of leaking from this assembly and the rudder is sloppy.

      -The interior wool cushions need recovering – easily $1K.

      -New sails. We have several genoas – all very tired. The main is serviceable but I have mixed feelings about the loose-fitted main and would love to replace it with a fully battened main. I'd be interested to hear what other folks are using for a main, especially a fully battened one.

      -Gelcoat repairs near the port bow. Our boat was involved in a collision at some point in its life and the previous owner had some poorly-applied gelcoat work. Similarly, the aluminum toe rail has some dents and I'd love to know how to bend it back in place or possible replace it?

      -And why does the marine head's (Groco) pump need replacing every season? I've become an expert at this but this is job that I hate.

      I've been reading with interest, all about the rudder bearing and will no doubt be tacking this job one day. If my experience is of any use, please let know.

    • Bob Ryan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2009
        Hi Jason,

        I may very well be interested depending on the condition, material, and cut. As I wrote before, our main is ok - crisp but stained, but I would like a full battened sail. Also, do you happen to have a 150 genoa?

        Bob

        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        From: jason3317@...
        Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:58:46 +0000
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] Introducing "Verve", hull #27

        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2009
          > > -Replaced the lexan in all three hatches (well worth doing but more expensive than you'd think).
          >
          > This is something I probably need to do as well. Who did the replacement lexan on the hatches? What was the total cost?

          I used http://www.selectplastics.com in CT. Essentially, you send them your top hatch (simple to remove), they remove the old lexan, and replace it with new. It is costly - about $300 for each of the larger hatches (almost the cost a brand new hatch). But, I reasoned that the effort to find something that would fit and would have to be rebedded wasn't worth it.

          BTW, it took about 2 weeks to get the hatches back, so best save this for a winter project.