Link to rudder bearing post

    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2009
      Hey guys, here is the latest installment of the rudder bushing replacement.  What I didn't say online is that I think the steering is FUBAR....way too tight.  I don't know exactly what the problem is...I think it could be the flax packing is compressed too tight.  I will try adjusting this first on my own, before returning the boat to the yard.

      If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

    • j28sailor50
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2009
        Jason,

        I measured the rudder flax packing area and came to the same results as your yard. Used 1/2" and it went in easily, little effort to push it in place. Anything smaller would not have sealed. I used one layer as that was all appeared to be in originally. I torqued the bolts tight but did not over do it. The seal is good. My efforts went up noticably but not excessive. Like you I have only taken the boat to the dock and jin pole so far. Wed. is the first race, will let you know what I think then.

        Bruce

        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, here is the latest installment of the rudder bushing replacement.
        > What I didn't say online is that I think the steering is FUBAR....way too
        > tight. I don't know exactly what the problem is...I think it could be the
        > flax packing is compressed too tight. I will try adjusting this first on my
        > own, before returning the boat to the yard.
        >
        > If you have any thoughts, please let me know.
        >
        > http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/53478-rudder-bearing-info-j-28-a-3.html#post487203

      • jfws88
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2009
          Hi Guy's
          Jason, Like I said I chose not to replace my bearing. After measureing the clearance, there was only about 0.015" clearance between the delrin and the rudder sleeve, I decided that I could live with that. I put in three layers of 3/8" packing very lightly torgued bolts and good feel on the wheel effort right now. I launch tomorrow.

          I planned to do my hatched this winter but house projects got in the way. Mine are reaaly bad. Select Plastics is going to get the job. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm a dedicated DIYer but I'm not doing this.

          I don't know about you but my rudder went back in in less than twenty minutes. Were you able to get yours in and out without removing the top sleeve? I wasn't. I also added another bolthole to the one thru the sleeve and rudderstock at the top.

          John