RE: [J28Sailors] Looking for an A-sail

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20 9:28 AM
      We have an AChute. I think there are pictures of our setup on the yahoo groups site. We were using outside gybes and had issues with the lazy sheet getting hungup on the anchor roller. Inside gybes are probably easier, but you need to make sure you don't catch the chute on something, unless you use the sock.
      We will be using our chute, so sorry about that.
      We have a cruising chute, which isn't even remotely close to being big enough to be used for racing. Tried it last year.

      On our downwind trips back from the Isle of Shoals, we found it easier to drop the main and just fly the chute. Much less work than leaving the main up and more visibility, when in cruising mode. And we did this sometimes racing too, when the wind was light. Heading straight downwind was faster than sailing off at an angle

      We also found the sailing angle was really limited, not sure if that was because of the small chute we have or just how it is.

      Up to owning the J28, all the boats I have owned or raced on had regular chutes. I like the A, a lot easier to deal with. I've flown it single and double handed. We launch it out of the forward hatch.

      Roy
      Barefoot Children

      To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      From: jason3317@...
      Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:22:04 -0400
      Subject: [J28Sailors] Looking for an A-sail

      Hi All:

      Two questions for the group.

      1.  How many of you are flying an asymmetrical and how do you have it setup?

      2.  I am considering adding this to my sail inventory, but I would like to 'test drive' one before I buy.  Would anyone be willing to loan me your sail to try for a couple weeks?  I would be glad to provide a deposit and pay for shipping both ways.

      S/V Compass Rose
      J/28 Hull #69

    • J. Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20 10:04 AM
        Thanks. Can you suggest a cut? I am thinking a Code 2, 90-130 apparent...but perhaps cut a smidge flatter...to allow me to fly it up to 75-80 in the dead of the summer. I assume nylon .75 oz is the weight you have. How do you attach - to the bow roller? Do you have a chute scoop? Or an ATN?
        From: Roy Briscoe <roysail@...>
        Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:28:42 +0000
        To: <j28sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: RE: [J28Sailors] Looking for an A-sail

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 20 10:57 AM
            You should talk to your sailmaker about what to get. I measured the foot and it was about 1.5-2 feet short of the max. It came with the boat. I think it is .75 oz, could be more, it is fairly thick material. What you get all depends on what you are going to use it for. We put a block on the anchor roller and some blocks mounted in the stanchions to run the tack line back and then mounted a block with a cleat to the toe rail.

            Without a sprit, and with a fractional rig, the chute gets blocked by the main fairly easy. We found the 155% to be faster in most cases when on a reach than the chute we have, no matter how how much wind we had.

            Not sure what a chute scoop is or an ATN.

            Roy

            To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            From: jason3317@...
            Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:04:39 +0000