Pulling the mast

  • J. Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi All:

      Have any of you recently pulled the mast and how much did it cost?

      I am thinking about doing this in order to rewire, replace some of the standing rigging and upgrade the furler.

      -Jason
    • hansandsharon@aim.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
        Hi Jason,
        I Pull the mast every fall when the J 28 is going in the Cradle for the Winter.
        The Storage Marina have a Gin pole, I do all the preparation's, unhook all the wires and the stay's, after that is done I get one man from the marina to help and it takes about
        30 to 45 minutes including going to the top and undo the instrument's, cost about $50 to $75.
        I like the mast down, first to clean it and wax it for the season, I also wrap the mast for the winter. I sail on Lake StClair in Canada By Detroit.
        Another reason for taking the Mast down is to alienate the "Stress " on the Hull in the winter storm's.

        I would like to install a masthead light, any suggestion's?

        Hans,
        J 28 "Last Dance"

      • Bruce
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2011
          Jason,

          I also pull the mast every fall. My sail club has a Gin Pole. Check with someone from a local club to see if you can use the Gin Pole and you will likely find a volunteer or two to coach you through the first time.

          I use 3 - 4 people, as we have a manual hoist on the gin pole and it is easier for the person on the boat to hand the base of the mast to someone on shore when bringing it down.

          I have just a small windex light (Davis Instruments) at the top of the mast. Lights the windex and also provides an all around light.

          Bruce

        • hansandsharon@aim.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2011
            Hi Bruce,
            Just read your reply about pulling the mast.
            Are you a member of the North Star sail club on the Clinton River?
            I have done a few Single handed lake St Clair Race's and ended up at NSSC.
            It was before I got the J28.
            How did you wire the mast for the Light?
            Good Sailing
            Hans.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 9, 2011
              I rewired our mast last spring. There is a plastic tube attached to an inside track. We slid the tube out, snaked some messenger string down the mast from the top and the steaming light. Ran the wires in the tube for the mast head/anchor light and the steaming light/deck light.  Slid the tube back in while keeping a little tension on the messenger strings.

              If you can afford, it go with an LED mast head light, no bulb to replace. The manufacturers seem to think the LED lights are made out of gold though.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
                Roy,

                how did you get that tube out. I rewire my mast a couple of years ago adding a deck light. I now have one wire outside the tube. Two if you count the windex.

                John

                --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:

                > I rewired our mast last spring. There is a plastic tube attached to an inside track. We slid the tube out, snaked some messenger string down the mast from the top and the steaming light. Ran the wires in the tube for the mast head/anchor light and the steaming light/deck light. Slid the tube back in while keeping a little tension on the messenger strings.
                >
                > If you can afford, it go with an LED mast head light, no bulb to replace. The manufacturers seem to think the LED lights are made out of gold though.
                >
                > Roy
                >

                > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                > From: hansandsharon@...
                > Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:06:14 -0500
                > Subject: Re: [J28Sailors] Re: Pulling the mast
                >

                > Hi Bruce,
                > Just read your reply about pulling the mast.
                > Are you a member of the North Star sail club on the Clinton River?
                > I have done a few Single handed lake St Clair Race's and ended up at NSSC.
                > It was before I got the J28.
                > How did you wire the mast for the Light?
                > Good Sailing
                > Hans.

              • Kurt
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
                  I would also be curious. When I did some mast wiring (about 10 years ago) that tube didn't seem like it would come out too easily. I ended up using a 50 foot fish tape successfully but I would think it would be easier with the tube out.

                  Kurt

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
                    Hi,

                    The tube just slid out. They only thing holding it up were the wires when they made a right angled turn out of the mast about 3-4(?) feet from the bottom. Thought it was a little weird that this is what held it up. But I put it back the same way and left 2 feet of slack for the mast head light wires up at the top, just in case the tube bounces.

                    Roy

                    To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jfws88@...
                    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:12:22 +0000
                    Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Pulling the mast - wiring

                  • hansandsharon@aim.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 10, 2011
                      Hi Roy,
                      does the tube go all the up to the top or just to the Steaming/deck light?
                      Did you drill a hole at the top of the mast?
                      Thank's
                      Hans.

                      To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jfws88@...
                      Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:12:22 +0000

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 11, 2011
                        Hans,
                        The tube goes to about 18 inches or so from the top. A hole was already drilled in the plate at the top of our mast for the anchor light.

                        Roy

                        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

                        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                        From: jfws88@...