Use for storage compartment?

  • Lenny Reich
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2009
      There is an unusual storage compartment on the J/28 -- kind of a second ice box, directly over the engine. It has molded-in baffles and a drain hole. This is obviously not a good place to keep anything cool, with heat from the engine directly below. Does anyone know what it was intended for? How do people use it -- just general storage? It looks to be pretty handy on a boat that lacks drawers.
    • jason3317@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2009
        It is designed for dish storage. The heat of engine is a dish dryer! I have some smaller trays for silverware etc. The drain goes to the bilge....but I don't think much water ever drains. In fact, I am using the drain as a vent for my PSS shaft seal.

        From: "Lenny Reich"
        Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:13:17 -0000
        To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [J28Sailors] Use for storage compartment?

        There is an unusual storage compartment on the J/28 -- kind of a second ice box, directly over the engine. It has molded-in baffles and a drain hole. This is obviously not a good place to keep anything cool, with heat from the engine directly below. Does anyone know what it was intended for? How do people use it -- just general storage? It looks to be pretty handy on a boat that lacks drawers.

      • jfws88
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2009
          Lenny, Ditto Jason,

          It's refered to in the manual as dish drying storage and it actually works I keep enought plates cups and silver for four. The only problem is the heat from the engine does make the glassware hot when its cocktail time.

          Regarding the manual I did get a manual from Jboats when I bought my boat but it's really not that useful. The wiring diagram was minimal and wrong (different). The most useful stuff you need is engine stuff and you can get a lot of that stuff at the yanmer site.

          Jason, my rudder goes back in tomorrow, and I launch on tuesday.
          I tried modifing my dodger last year but it didn't come out so good. That will be next years project.

          Once I get the inside cleaned up I'll post some pictures of the mods I've made, includeing a radio cabinet on the port side, moving the batteries and rebuilding the lower bulkhead in the vee berth.and this years project an instrument pod over the companionway

          John