Genoa question

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2010
      IM getting close to becoming a bona fide member of this group. About to pull the trigger on a boat

      Another question...Having sailing racing dinghys my whole life, all with one strictly sized jib, I am curious about people opinions on different sized genoas (Probably the first real big purchase for this boat will be new headsails)

      First question, with roller furling, why do people still ownd 100, 135 and 150% sails?

      Second what is the best size, if you can only own one? I will probably do most of my sailing single handed on Long Island sound (any other 28s out there? I know of one in Black Rock)
      I have been told by DOYLE to get the bigger sail, but cruising friends or mine say that if i need to partially roll it up, it will distort. My thinking was to get a 135 and keep and assym spinnaker on board for downwind and lite air days (realistically, if the wind is light on Western LIS and the TIDE is ebbing, I will be setting the 100%Yanmar and trimming the cooler heavily!)

      Thanks again to all. I have gotten a ton of great advice from this group

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2010
        Your friends are correct, a partially rolled up headsail will distort. Ok for cruising, not OK for racing in a competitive fleet. If you are not going to race, I'd go the 135, though the 150/155 gives you a huge boost over the 135 in anything under 8 knots. We found that out this year. We upgraded to a new Doyle 155 because we were getting killed in the light winds with the 135 and we have a lot of dying breeze on Tuesday nights. Warning: the J28 tracks are really setup for a 150, you run out of track with a 155 when the breeze gets over 10 knots.

        Roy
        Portsmouth, NH

        To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2010
          Mabye I will go with the big Genoa and save for a 110 next year and carry two. LIS is notorious for light breeze in summer

          How do you like the DOYLE sails? They gave me a great quote and I have used their sails in past years. Bullet proof and fast...wondering waht you think

          Thanks for the advice

          JP

          --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:

          > Your friends are correct, a partially rolled up headsail will distort. Ok for cruising, not OK for racing in a competitive fleet. If you are not going to race, I'd go the 135, though the 150/155 gives you a huge boost over the 135 in anything under 8 knots. We found that out this year. We upgraded to a new Doyle 155 because we were getting killed in the light winds with the 135 and we have a lot of dying breeze on Tuesday nights. Warning: the J28 tracks are really setup for a 150, you run out of track with a 155 when the breeze gets over 10 knots.
          >

          > Roy
          > Portsmouth, NH
          >

          > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          > From: thistle4002@...
          > Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:40:20 +0000
          > Subject: [J28Sailors] Genoa question
          >

          > IM getting close to becoming a bona fide member of this group. About to pull the trigger on a boat
          >
          > Another question...Having sailing racing dinghys my whole life, all with one strictly sized jib, I am curious about people opinions on different sized genoas (Probably the first real big purchase for this boat will be new headsails)
          >
          > First question, with roller furling, why do people still ownd 100, 135 and 150% sails?
          >
          > Second what is the best size, if you can only own one? I will probably do most of my sailing single handed on Long Island sound (any other 28s out there? I know of one in Black Rock)
          > I have been told by DOYLE to get the bigger sail, but cruising friends or mine say that if i need to partially roll it up, it will distort. My thinking was to get a 135 and keep and assym spinnaker on board for downwind and lite air days (realistically, if the wind is light on Western LIS and the TIDE is ebbing, I will be setting the 100%Yanmar and trimming the cooler heavily!)
          >
          > Thanks again to all. I have gotten a ton of great advice from this group
          >
          > JP

        • J. Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
            The #1 on Compass Rose is a 145%. I just ordered a #2, which will be ~115% and become my primary headsail.

            I find that the 145 is nice for 0-10 knots.

            Get a rope (or foam) luff to help with shaping when partially rolled up.

            I am using eVolution sails out of Easton, MD. They are terrific, good service and great prices.

            Jason
            From: "John" <thistle4002@...>
            Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 20:40:20 -0000
            To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
              Ww have been happy with the local Doyle loft in Marblehead/Salem, it is only 45 minutes away, as is the local North loft too. They are quick to respond to any tweaks needed and have thrown in some extras for no charge, like verticle battens on 98%. Plus I have done some sailing with Jud Smith a few years ago, so I might be a little partial.

              Roy

              To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              From: thistle4002@...
              Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 01:42:28 +0000
              Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: Genoa question

              Mabye I will go with the big Genoa and save for a 110 next year and carry two. LIS is notorious for light breeze in summer

              How do you like the DOYLE sails? They gave me a great quote and I have used their sails in past years. Bullet proof and fast...wondering waht you think

              Thanks for the advice

              JP

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:

              > Your friends are correct, a partially rolled up headsail will distort. Ok for cruising, not OK for racing in a competitive fleet. If you are not going to race, I'd go the 135, though the 150/155 gives you a huge boost over the 135 in anything under 8 knots. We found that out this year. We upgraded to a new Doyle 155 because we were getting killed in the light winds with the 135 and we have a lot of dying breeze on Tuesday nights. Warning: the J28 tracks are really setup for a 150, you run out of track with a 155 when the breeze gets over 10 knots.
              >

              > Roy
              > Portsmouth, NH
              >

              > To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
              > From: thistle4002@...
              > Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:40:20 +0000
              > Subject: [J28Sailors] Genoa question
              >

              > IM getting close to becoming a bona fide member of this group. About to pull the trigger on a boat
              >
              > Another question...Having sailing racing dinghys my whole life, all with one strictly sized jib, I am curious about people opinions on different sized genoas (Probably the first real big purchase for this boat will be new headsails)
              >
              > First question, with roller furling, why do people still ownd 100, 135 and 150% sails?
              >
              > Second what is the best size, if you can only own one? I will probably do most of my sailing single handed on Long Island sound (any other 28s out there? I know of one in Black Rock)
              > I have been told by DOYLE to get the bigger sail, but cruising friends or mine say that if i need to partially roll it up, it will distort. My thinking was to get a 135 and keep and assym spinnaker on board for downwind and lite air days (realistically, if the wind is light on Western LIS and the TIDE is ebbing, I will be setting the 100%Yanmar and trimming the cooler heavily!)
              >
              > Thanks again to all. I have gotten a ton of great advice from this group
              >
              > JP

            • Thomas Quinlan
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                John,
                If I were staying with one roller furling sail for a broad wind range that included frequent sailing in breezy conditions, I would stay with the standard 135% headsail.  It's slow as the wind drops below ten knots, but is still easy to handle as the wind gets over twenty.
                Summer winds on Lake Pontchartrain where I sail are usually very light, so I do also have a roller furling 145% that I use when I know I'll be sailing in winds under 15 knots.  At that point it's still great off the wind, but starts to be a hand-full upwind.  I also use this as my #1+ sail off the roller furler when racing.
                My #1 non- furling sail for racing is a 155% and seems to work pretty well up to about 12 knots.  I have a blade for racing, but get almost no use out of it (unless you're racing, going upwind, in 25 knots +, it's not worth the trouble).

                The fractional rig means you get a lot of power off the main, so the smaller 135% sail doesn't hurt you as much in light air as it would on a masthead rig.  Also, since its fractional, its a lot easier to handle in a big breeze than a masthead sail.  Like the ads used to say for this boat, for short handed cruising, when the wind gets up over 25 Knots, just roll up the jib, take a big pull on the back stay and keep truckin'.

                I've owned my J/28 since '97 (built in '86), and still haven't found a boat I like better for the kind of sailing I do, which is mostly short handed day-sailing and club racing, with occasional overnight and short cruises with my wife.

                Enjoy!

                Tom
                # 22 Voodoo Child

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2010
                  John,

                  I'd stay with a 135%, and if you can afford it, an asymmetrical spinnaker for the really light air.  The J28 is a very good light air boat because of the large main.  From 15-20 knots, we might reef the genoa a little bit since it is so easy to do.  Over 20, the main usually needs to be reefed depending upon your crew weight.

                  A furled genoa is necessarily distorted - still functional, but not the ideal sail shape.  I'd be concerned that a 150 would spend a lot of its life partially furled (I have no experience, so maybe I shouldn't say this).  I don't know LIS but I cannot imagine it is that different than Marblehead.  I never really wanted a larger genoa - but I did want an asymmetrical spinnaker.

                  -Bob

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2010
                    John,

                    I sail with a 135 all season, that is until the last race when I put up my 105. I've used this sail up to 25 knots (reefed main) with no problems. Only once did I get caught outa control but that was my main trimmer falling asleep at the switch (another story).

                    I have rolled it a couple of times but never liked the way the boat felt or the sail looked. The boat will handle alot sail in a blow.

                    My next sail will be a 150 that will be spec'd to handle up to 15knots.

                    My main goal with the 150 is to get better pointing, my biggest problem when racing. Good luck.

                    John W.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2010
                      THANKS to all for great advice!

                      JP

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 17, 2010
                        Ill be in Long Island sound...maybe we should race! or rendezvous next summer

                        I cant wait to get my boat in the water in spring

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 18, 2010
                          JP,

                          Where did you find your J28? I was talking with my neighbor at the boat yard yesterday, he said he had someone coming to look at his Tartan 34-2 and that person had just sold his J28. The J28 owner was from Amherst, NH.

                          Roy

                          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                          From: sailingmaster@...
                          Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 03:59:44 +0000

> [...]

                          > > > up to about 12 knots. I have a blade for racing, but get almost no use out
                          > > > of it (unless you're racing, going upwind, in 25 knots +, it's not worth the
                          > > > trouble).
                          > > >
                          > > > The fractional rig means you get a lot of power off the main, so the
                          > > > smaller 135% sail doesn't hurt you as much in light air as it would on a
                          > > > masthead rig. Also, since its fractional, its a lot easier to handle in a
                          > > > big breeze than a masthead sail. Like the ads used to say for this boat,
                          > > > for short handed cruising, when the wind gets up over 25 Knots, just roll up
                          > > > the jib, take a big pull on the back stay and keep truckin'.
                          > > >
                          > > > I've owned my J/28 since '97 (built in '86), and still haven't found a boat
                          > > > I like better for the kind of sailing I do, which is mostly short handed
                          > > > day-sailing and club racing, with occasional overnight and short cruises

                        • john power
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 18, 2010
                            thats my boat

                            the owners had #24 from amherst NH. great guys

                            The boat is in awesome shape. some moitsture in the deck, gonna truck it to my house next winter and dry here out,  but new bottom job, new rudder bearings, new mainsail, new electronics, engine overhaul and more
                            all this for 27k

                            I am moving the boat to LIS next spring, back to Salem MA in a few years

                            regards

                            JP

                            To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
                            From: sailingmaster@...
                            Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 03:59:44 +0000

> [...]

                            > > > up to about 12 knots. I have a blade for racing, but get almost no use out
                            > > > of it (unless you're racing, going upwind, in 25 knots +, it's not worth the
                            > > > trouble).
                            > > >
                            > > > The fractional rig means you get a lot of power off the main, so the
                            > > > smaller 135% sail doesn't hurt you as much in light air as it would on a
                            > > > masthead rig. Also, since its fractional, its a lot easier to handle in a
                            > > > big breeze than a masthead sail. Like the ads used to say for this boat,
                            > > > for short handed cruising, when the wind gets up over 25 Knots, just roll up
                            > > > the jib, take a big pull on the back stay and keep truckin'.
                            > > >
                            > > > I've owned my J/28 since '97 (built in '86), and still haven't found a boat
                            > > > I like better for the kind of sailing I do, which is mostly short handed
                            > > > day-sailing and club racing, with occasional overnight and short cruises

                          • john power

                              From: sailingmaster@...
                              Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 03:59:44 +0000