Moisture in decks

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
      I am thinking about purchasing a j28.

      The surveyor has found moisture in the decks around the chain plates and tracks.
      I am sure, give the age and time they were built. Most of the 28s out there have some issues like this. I doubt any are 100% dry.

      Does anyone have and thoughts on this? Has anyone tried to dry out the decks and reseal with any success. So far I have lots of confilcting advice.

      This issue could make or break my deal to buy the boat if its serious enough.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
        I am thinking about purchasing a j28.

        The surveyor has found moisture in the decks around the chain plates and tracks.
        I am sure, give the age and time they were built. Most of the 28s out there have some issues like this. I doubt any are 100% dry.

        Does anyone have and thoughts on this? Has anyone tried to dry out the decks and reseal with any success. So far I have lots of confilcting advice.

        This issue could make or break my deal to buy the boat if its serious enough.

        Thanks

        JP
      • hansandsharon@aim.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
          Hi JP,
          WE purchased a J 28 Hull #4 1987, Some moisture was showing around the Change plates, and the deck had some cragged's as well,
          I have since removed the packing around the change plates and all seems good now, We have had the J 28 for over 3 years now and we love the boat, it is a joy to sail, I have a hard time to get my Wife off the Wheel, and it steers with
          a finger touch.
          Just check what the Moisture readings are if not too high then It should be ok.
          Some success have been to drill small holes and inject "West System" epoxy, it is great stuff and I have used it for Years.
          Hans
          J28
          "Last Dance"

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
            Moisture in this area is pretty common for these boats. As long as the core is not saturated (you didn't tell us the actual moisture and how spread out), I would not be too concerned. But there are always other J28s on the market if it turns out to be unreasonable.
            From: hansandsharon@...
            Sender: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:20:31 -0500
            To: <J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com>