Help needed for arriving at a selling price for my 86 J/28

  • j28verve
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2010
      We are at crossroads in trying to decide whether to keep our J/28 "Verve" or trade-up for a newer boat. I would like to know what you think my boat is worth - especially from some of you who might have purchased your J/28 recently. On www.yachtworld.com, there are five J/28's where the asking price is between $34-40K. I don't really know whether my boat is worth this ... but one thing I don't want to do is have it for sale for a long time and I'd rather avoid a broker if possible.

      We've put a lot of work into my boat (we are the 2nd owners) but are now contemplating painting the boat ($6K Awlgrip) and replacing the boat's cushions (~$1K) to improve the cosmetic appeal. We are questioning whether this is a good investment. Prior to owning my boat, it was damaged resulting in a 3'x4' poorly applied gelcoat job near the port bow, a slightly dented bow pulpit, and slightly bent tow rails on the starboard beam. The surveyor did not think this was structural but it is cosmetic.

      In the four years since owning our boat, we have done the following work (big ticket items are highlighted):

      2007
      • All electronics updated (Raymarine A65 GPS/DS, Standard Quest VHF)*
      • Edson pedestal replaced with Ocean Equipment pedestal and Navpod*
      • Cockpit drains hoses replaced
      • Wet exhaust replaced
      • Interior lights replaced
      • Sump and bilge pumps replaced
      • Fairclough winter cover and frame purchased*

      2008
      • Bottom work: soda blasted, blisters removed; hull faired; barrier coat*
      • Mast and boom painted*
      • New Groco head
      • New Harken traveler car
      • Hatches acrylic lens and gaskets replaced by Select Plastics of CT*

      2009
      • Jensen Fm/CD/iPod Stereo replaced
      • Water temperature gauge added to cockpit

      2010
      • New Doyle mainsail*
      • Rudder bearings replaced*

      So given this, how much do you think it is worth now and how much might it be worth if we upgraded the cushions and awlgripped the hull? I should mention that the boat is in Marblehead, MA.

      Thank you advance,

      Bob
    • Bruce Morrison
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2010

        Hi Bob

        I just bought a J-28 for 28k but she needed some work. The surveyor appraised it at 32k. I got her in Seattle so that might have little baring on Maine prices.  As for upgrades I was in the residential building game for many years and I found that putting money into a project to help it sell was not very cost affective. The new buyer might not value the work done and would rather spend the money on what he thinks is important.

        Good Luck, Bruce

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2010
          We paid in the low 30's for ours last fall and it was in fairly good shape, though the hatch lens are getting replaced this winter and the portlights leak and we had the bottom stripped,  barrier coated and painted this spring, had I known what that was going to cost, I would have offered less. The interior lights need replacing, but other than that the boat is fairly dry and in good shape. I think the final sale prices, in this market, are around 28K to 34K, depending on the work needed.

          In my opinon, cosmetic upgrades only make something more salable but doesn't necessarily increase the price, that comes from buying and selling about 20 properties. We had prices of closer to 2.5K for a cushion redo. If you have a white hull, new paint won't help, if you have faded colored hull, I don't think it will increase the price by the cost of doing the hull, but it will help to sell it and you might recover 1/2 the cost.

          And we just got a new 155 from Doyle in Salem, MA. It has helped tremendously in any wind under 12 knots with only a 3 sec hit in cruising and no hit on the racing rating. It did need a little tweaking though, so there was a another trip to Salem a week ago. It is one heck of alot easier to trim and drive to then the 135 that came with the boat and we have been out sailing with it in 20+ knots of wind with a reefed main, not on purpose, and the boat handled it fine.

          I have 2 people who like our boat have been talking about upsizing from what they have. Let us know what you decide. Personally I'd like a J/32 if you could get one for under 60K.

          Roy
          Portsmouth, NH

          To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
          From: rryan14@...
          Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 17:40:29 +0000

        • hansandsharon@aim.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2010
            Hi Bob,
            You have done a lot of upgrading already, and I would not spend more before advertising it for sale.
            Price range should be in the 30,000.oo, start at 34th and have a cushion to come down some.
            I am looking at doing my rudder bearing, how did you do your's?
            Good Sailing.
            Hans
            J 28 "Last Dance"

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2010
              Hi Hans,

              Thanks the advice.  I am always trying to figure what attracts to me a boat and I guess I am a stickler for the upkeep.  We bought this boat, despite its upkeep and have spent a lot of time and money improving it.  I was concerned about the bow's gelcoat since it had bubbles in a 3' x 4' section.  Now the bubbles have popped, so it looks bad - not from a distance though.

              We had our rudder bearing(s) done at Marblehead Trading Company where they had done two other J/28's in the past.  The experience was a real fiasco though - some of my fault for not following up with the yard more closely.  What was supposed to cost around $1500 ended up costing $3000 and the boat had to be rehauled a second time after the steering cable snapped (it was too tight because the bearings went on too tight) at the mooring.  The rudder's radial steering assembly (not sure what it is actually cost) had to also be custom built which added to the cost.  Anyway, it was terribly expensive and I suspect the yard also lost out on its actual expenditure, too.  But, I feel more confident that we aren't hurting the boat with the play removed.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2010
                Hi Roy,

                I am thinking of our offering our boat for about $30K - which I hope attracts a buyer.  I don't want this process to get protracted as I see some boats for sale for years.  If we cannot sell it for around that, then I might keep it, awlgrip it, and probably try selling it next year.  It does sail nicely, especially single-handed - but I would like a faster boat.

                I was also thinking of creating my own website for the boat, perhaps try using craigslists, and otherwise trying to avoid brokerage.  Has anyone ever had experience going this route?  I've always sold boats through brokers before: some do a good job, but most barely represent your boat as the inventory seems to be climbing every season.  The brokerage fee + the inventory seems to make boats cost more to a buyer than it really should.

                BTW, I like Doyle in Salem quite a bit.  We got a nice main from them -- as well as good advice on how to sail it.  Our old main was baggy and overpowered the boat so much that we always heeled in next to no wind.   Doyle flatten the main compared to our UK Halsey main (especially near the "J/28" lettering) and the boat sails more efficiently now.  Our genoas aren't anything special, though.

                Bob

                To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Hi Bruce,

                  Good points.  You are saying that a buyer needs to think that they are getting a deal and that they will do the necessary sweat equity - rather than getting a more expensive boat that has everything already done.  I guess that makes sense (it does to my co-owner) but I am the expection - I want either a hard-core "project" boat or one that is in mint condition.

                  Some of the work we did on this boat was pretty awful (the bottom job or the wet exhaust), some very expensive (the rudder), and some not so bad (replacing the electronics).
                  -Bob

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2010
                    I'd up the asking to $34K-35K, sounds like you have kept it in good shape. That price will put you under the others by 4-5K and should get some interest adn show you wish to sell. 2 of those, RI and the w. tidsley, have been on the market for at least 1 year when I started looking. I looked at the Barrington RI boat, it needed the bottom stripped and the deck around the chain plates was wet. You should be able to end up at 30K rather than starting at 30K.

                    To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 10, 2010
                      Bob,
                      I think it's a really tough market to sell a boat in right now and regardless of the price it could take a year or so to get it sold.
                      My J/28 is an '87 and I bought it three years ago. I went back to my survey and in the valuations section it states that Fair Market Value was $40K with survey deficiencies. Replacement Value with a used vessel was $42K with survey deficiencies rectified. Repacement value with a like new vessel was 100K out of production. I don't know the present fair market value of the J/28 but I do know that if someone tried to buy a new boat built as well as the J/28 they would pay well over $100K if they could find one.
                      I too would like to get a bigger boat and with the market the way it is, it may be a good time to be looking. But I realize that I have a rare gem and a lot of people are aware of that, so I would be patient and wait for the right buyer to come along.

                      Good Luck,
                      Marc
                      Thumper J/28_59

                      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Roy Briscoe <roysail@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > • Wet exhaust replaced
                      > • Interior lights replaced
                      > • Sump and bilge pumps replaced
                      > • Fairclough winter cover and frame purchased*
                      >
                      > 2008
                      > • Bottom work: soda blasted, blisters removed; hull faired; barrier coat*
                      > • Mast and boom painted*
                      > • New Groco head
                      > • New Harken traveler car
                      > • Hatches acrylic lens and gaskets replaced by Select Plastics of CT*
                      >
                      > 2009
                      > • Jensen Fm/CD/iPod Stereo replaced
                      > • Water temperature gauge added to cockpit
                      >
                      > 2010
                      > • New Doyle mainsail*
                      > • Rudder bearings replaced*
                      >
                      > So given this, how much do you think it is worth now and how much might it be worth if we upgraded the cushions and awlgripped the hull? I should mention that the boat is in Marblehead, MA.

                    • Philip
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 13, 2010
                        Bob- I have watched the market pretty closely since purchasing my J28 Spindrift in Marblehead last Fall. Two boats sold last Fall in New England, the boat I purchased in Marblehead and the boat Roy bought in Rockland, ME. I personally paid $30k and I think Roy indicated he paid slightly more.

                        The boat I purchased had good bones but older sails, outdated navigation, and needed updates such as new interior cushions, running rigging, and the bottom stripped.

                        We purchased new interior cushions from S&S Fabrics in RI for about $3k, bought a decent GPS installed at the helm for $1k and will evaluate the rest this winter. My point is that boat was not perfect but I think worth $30k.

                        Given what you have described, your boat should be worth at least this amount based on your description of the upgrades.

                        I was pleased with the brokerage process as well with Hill and Lowden right in Marblehead. It may be worth giving it them now in the low to mid $30's so your boat will compare favorably with the one they are trying to sell for $40k (which I think is overpriced). They may be able to help you on the other side with a larger J as well.

                        I do note that there is still a J28 for sale by owner in Texas that I have seen advertised for at least a year. If you have the time and inclination, this could work, but I think it will create a longer sales cycle.

                        If your boat is dry and clean, you should get buyer this fall at $30k but I think it is probably worth asking a little more.

                        Phil
                        #58 Spindrift

                        --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "Marc" <j28_59@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > • Wet exhaust replaced
                        > > • Interior lights replaced
                        > > • Sump and bilge pumps replaced
                        > > • Fairclough winter cover and frame purchased*
                        > >
                        > > 2008
                        > > • Bottom work: soda blasted, blisters removed; hull faired; barrier coat*
                        > > • Mast and boom painted*
                        > > • New Groco head
                        > > • New Harken traveler car
                        > > • Hatches acrylic lens and gaskets replaced by Select Plastics of CT*
                        > >
                        > > 2009
                        > > • Jensen Fm/CD/iPod Stereo replaced
                        > > • Water temperature gauge added to cockpit
                        > >
                        > > 2010
                        > > • New Doyle mainsail*
                        > > • Rudder bearings replaced*
                        > >
                        > > So given this, how much do you think it is worth now and how much might it be worth if we upgraded the cushions and awlgripped the hull? I should mention that the boat is in Marblehead, MA.

                      • Bob Ryan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 14, 2010

                          Thanks Phil,

                          I will contact Hill and Lowden.  We originally purchased our boat from New Wave and my experience wasn't positive mostly  because of of a psycho broker that was later fired.

                          I think the point I was trying to convey is that we've done a lot for our boat but we still have some issues like the flaking gelcoat in the boat, a slightly bent toe rail, and slightly bent pulpit.  The gelcoat isn't glistening anymore and has some dings.   I don't know if it has wet spots or not - most J Boats have at least some near near the chainplates, stanchions, or pedestal.  Our original surveyor pointed some out and we rebedded the pedestal.  The interior cushions are serviceable but tired looking.   So these are the negatives.

                          But, then again, I realize our boat has all this other great stuff like a winter cover, a new bottom, rudder repair, new main, and new electronics, good engine - so I hope this tips the balance.  I'd like to sell relatively quickly and not draw this out over a year.

                          -Bob

                          #58 Spindrift

                        • hansandsharon@aim.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 14, 2010
                            Phill,
                            About the bend pulpit and toe rail these are areas where a prospect buyer will se first and perhaps turn them off,
                            Repairing these would help, I know it would be a big influence if I was to buy a boat.
                            Hans,
                            J 28 "Last Dance"

                            #58 Spindrift

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
                              Where is this boat located?

                              Any pictures?

                              Im looking for a J28 not far from New England
                              You can email me directly at sailingmaster@...

                              Thanks in advance

                              JP