Re: [J28Sailors] Re: New Member/cockpit drain

  • Bruce Morrison
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2010
      Thanks Bruce
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Kurt" <kbianculli@...>
      To: J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, August 7, 2010 10:52:23 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
      Subject: [J28Sailors] Re: New Member/cockpit drain

      Hi Paul, welcome to the group.

      I had to special order mine but that was 10 years ago. The size was 2-1/4. It was an exhaust house and I remember I had to go to a local chandlery because West Marine couldn't even order it. The company that made it was Lawrence hose.

      Kurt
      Evangeline II, #71

      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "poulsbobruce" <brucemorrison@...> wrote:

      > I just baught a 1986 J-28 in Seattle. Her name is Curragh II which was homeported in Southport, Ct. She was shipped west last winter. Does anyone know anything about her ? How does on find what hull number she is ?
      >
      > I would like to replace the hoses that drain the cockpit. They appear to be about 2 1/8" ID. I Can't find this size anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions ?
      >
      > Regards Bruce

    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8, 2010
        Mea Culpa! Sorry for calling you Paul!

        You also asked about finding out your hull number. You can get that from your hull ID number located on the starboard transom. Here is how to interpret it.

        TSP80071H788 is my HIN, the first three characters are the manufacturer (Tillotson-Pearson), the next two are the model number (Tillotson-Pearson had already used 28 so they used 80 instead), the next three are the hull number (71 in my case), the next two are the date of manufacture (H=August, 7 is 1987) and the last two are the model year of the boat (1988 in my case).

        The first 5 characters in yours should be the same as in mine but the rest will be different.

        Do you sail right out of Seattle? I have some good friends that sail out of the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club in Vancouver, BC. The boat they sail is a Dash-34 named Oxygen. I have sailed in the Pacific Northwest many times but never south of Whidbey Island. Its a beautiful area and reminds me of the Maine coast without the fog!

        Kurt

        > I had to special order mine but that was 10 years ago. The size was 2-1/4. It was an exhaust house and I remember I had to go to a local chandlery because West Marine couldn't even order it. The company that made it was Lawrence hose.
        >
        > Kurt
        > Evangeline II, #71
        >
        > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com , "poulsbobruce" <brucemorrison@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just baught a 1986 J-28 in Seattle. Her name is Curragh II which was homeported in Southport, Ct. She was shipped west last winter. Does anyone know anything about her ? How does on find what hull number she is ?
        > >
        > > I would like to replace the hoses that drain the cockpit. They appear to be about 2 1/8" ID. I Can't find this size anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions ?
        > >
        > > Regards Bruce

      • Bruce Morrison
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2010

          Hi Kurt

          Thanks for the translation. You certainly have to know your tricks if your going to get the info from the hull ID. I'm number nineteen built May 86.

          My boat is moored in Kingston Washington on the Kitsap Peninsula across the sound from Seattle. Lots of light air here in the summer. J-28 is great for that. She has no trouble doing 5 knots with a 10 knot breeze. What a boat, I love her. She came with some deferred maintenance but we'll get her back in shape

          Thanks again for your input. Bruce

          You also asked about finding out your hull number. You can get that from your hull ID number located on the starboard transom. Here is how to interpret it.

          TSP80071H788 is my HIN, the first three characters are the manufacturer (Tillotson-Pearson), the next two are the model number (Tillotson-Pearson had already used 28 so they used 80 instead), the next three are the hull number (71 in my case), the next two are the date of manufacture (H=August, 7 is 1987) and the last two are the model year of the boat (1988 in my case).

          The first 5 characters in yours should be the same as in mine but the rest will be different.

          Do you sail right out of Seattle? I have some good friends that sail out of the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club in Vancouver, BC. The boat they sail is a Dash-34 named Oxygen. I have sailed in the Pacific Northwest many times but never south of Whidbey Island. Its a beautiful area and reminds me of the Maine coast without the fog!

          Kurt

          > I had to special order mine but that was 10 years ago. The size was 2-1/4. It was an exhaust house and I remember I had to go to a local chandlery because West Marine couldn't even order it. The company that made it was Lawrence hose.
          >
          > Kurt
          > Evangeline II, #71
          >
          > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com , "poulsbobruce" <brucemorrison@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just baught a 1986 J-28 in Seattle. Her name is Curragh II which was homeported in Southport, Ct. She was shipped west last winter. Does anyone know anything about her ? How does on find what hull number she is ?
          > >
          > > I would like to replace the hoses that drain the cockpit. They appear to be about 2 1/8" ID. I Can't find this size anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions ?
          > >
          > > Regards Bruce

        • GO JETS
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2010
            Bruce:

            Welcome to the forum. I saw Curragh for a brief period last year on the Hudson River. I was pretty excited to have another J/28 to race against. As soon as the couple had purchased the boat, the owner got reassigned to Seattle and I guess his company paid to have the boat move with him. Apparently, he decided not to keep it out there.

            If you like the performance in 10 knots, you'll love it in 20. She'll cruise right through a good swell with little effort.

            Good Luck.

            Tom

          • Marc
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 13, 2010
              Bruce, I bought the exaust hose for the cockpit drain from Fisheries Supply in Seattle. I also bought some of the black stretchy hose tape to build up the throughhull tubing because it was a little too loose of a fit. It was a bit of a wrestling match to bend that hose to get it on but it did go on. You will find that Fisheries Supply has just about everything you need and their prices are pretty fair. They will ship anywhere. Check their web page.

              Marc
              Thumper J/28
              Seattle, WA

              --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, "GO JETS" <actionman@...> wrote:

              > Bruce:
              >
              > Welcome to the forum. I saw Curragh for a brief period last year on the Hudson River. I was pretty excited to have another J/28 to race against. As soon as the couple had purchased the boat, the owner got reassigned to Seattle and I guess his company paid to have the boat move with him. Apparently, he decided not to keep it out there.
              >
              > If you like the performance in 10 knots, you'll love it in 20. She'll cruise right through a good swell with little effort.
              >
              > Good Luck.
              >
              > Tom
              >
              > --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morrison <brucemorrison@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi Kurt
              > >

              > > Thanks for the translation. You certainly have to know your tricks if your going to get the info from the hull ID. I'm number nineteen built May 86.
              > >

              > > My boat is moored in Kingston Washington on the Kitsap Peninsula across the sound from Seattle. Lots of light air here in the summer. J-28 is great for that. She has no trouble doing 5 knots with a 10 knot breeze. What a boat, I love her. She came with some deferred maintenance but we'll get her back in shape
              > >

              > > Thanks again for your input. Bruce

            • Bruce Morrison
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 13, 2010

                Hi Marc

                Thanks for the tip about Fisheries Supply, what a great resource. Although the ship yard originally used 2 1/4" hose for the scupper drains the through-hull tube is only a little over 2" OD. Fisheries Supply has 2 1/8" flexible exhaust hose. Do you think this would be the best bet as you said you had to build up the through-hull tube.

                Thanks for your interest. Bruce

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 13, 2010
                  You can also try McMaster Carr, my personal "go to" source.

                  Look at part # 5285K91 or 5285K92.

                  John

                • Marc
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 15, 2010
                    Hi Bruce,
                    If I remember right I went through the same thought process as you, so yesterday I emptied my locker and climed in there to checked the hose to see what size I used but I couldn't find anything on the hose. So this morning I went through my receipts and found that I bought 2 1/4" hose in May 2007. I think that the end of the tube is like you say, a little over 2" but there was a taper and the tube increased in diameter as it got closer to the hull. I think it was from being glassed in and painted over. So the "superseal tape" helped with the uneveness as well as to increase the OD of the tube. It was pretty difficult to bend the short section of hose and get it onto the tube so I thought the larger hose would give me an advantage. Good luck with your project however you proceed.
                    Cheers,
                    Marc
                    Thumper J/28 #59

                  • Bruce Morrison
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 15, 2010

                      Hi Marc,

                      Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to try the 2 1/8" flex. I'll let you know how it turns out. There is a two part bronze fitting surrounding the rudder post. The bottom is glassed onto the hull. I'm assuming this is a packing gland clamp for the rudder post. The bolts that hold the top flange down are loose, like rattling around loose. How tight should they be ? There are two grease fitting on either side of the rudder housing. How much grease needs to be pumped into the packing.

                      Once again thanks for all your help. Bruce

                      If I remember right I went through the same thought process as you, so yesterday I emptied my locker and climed in there to checked the hose to see what size I used but I couldn't find anything on the hose. So this morning I went through my receipts and found that I bought 2 1/4" hose in May 2007. I think that the end of the tube is like you say, a little over 2" but there was a taper and the tube increased in diameter as it got closer to the hull. I think it was from being glassed in and painted over. So the "superseal tape" helped with the uneveness as well as to increase the OD of the tube. It was pretty difficult to bend the short section of hose and get it onto the tube so I thought the larger hose would give me an advantage. Good luck with your project however you proceed.
                      Cheers,
                      Marc
                      Thumper J/28 #59

                      --- In J28Sailors@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Morrison <brucemorrison@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Marc
                      >

                      > Thanks for the tip about Fisheries Supply, what a great resource. Although the ship yard originally used 2 1/4" hose for the scupper drains the through-hull tube is only a little over 2" OD. Fisheries Supply has 2 1/8" flexible exhaust hose. Do you think this would be the best bet as you said you had to build up the through-hull tube.
                      >

                      > Thanks for your interest. Bruce

                    • Marc
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 17, 2010
                        Hi Bruce,
                        My experience is limited in this area. See if there is anything in the manual. I think it's in the files section. There was some discussion about the rudder a month or two ago. You may want to have a look at some of the older posts, around 280 or so. Let us know what you find out.
                        Cheers,
                        Marc
                        Thumper J/28_59

                      • Bruce
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 17, 2010
                          Bruce,

                          I "found" my grease fittings last year (they were covered in tape and then resin), thanks to this site. No idea how much grease to add. When the boat is out of the water you can see when it squeezes out the bottom side.

                          The lower rudder flange should have packing. I had the loose bolts. My packing was essentially rotted away at that point. If I ran the boat hard in forward or had a good following sea water would come up through the flange. I replaced this a year ago in the spring. Packing size will be 3/8 to 1/2 inch. The new packing stiffened my steering for a couple weeks.

                          I have also done the scupper hoses. Used 2 1/4" hose. Cockpit side was ground down, to that size. The stern end was built up with sealer to meet the 2 1/4.

                          I would do both the hose and packing at the same time. Getting all those bolts and lock nuts out will be easier with the hoses out of the way.

                          Bruce

                        • Bruce Morrison
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 18, 2010
                            Many thanks for the info. Bruce