Re rudder bearing on J 28

  • andersenhans15
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2010
      Hi Fellow J 28 Sailors,
      The rudder on my J 28 has some fore and aft play, I am looking for some info on how to go about getting the material to do the repair or replacing of the bearing.
      I have hull #4 so it is one of the first made, the boat has always been in fresh water, so that may explain that the problem only shows up now,
      Any information will be appreciated.
      Hans.
      J 28 "Last Dance"
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
        Hans,

        I replaced my rudder bearing winter of 2008-2009.  I chose to use a material called Vesconite - supposedly better than delrin or nylon as it is UV stable and does not absorb water.  We ordered a piece and had a shop machine to the proper dimensions.  Fitting the bearing was trial and error (test fit then back to machine shop).  Dropping the rudder was a pain.

        Total cost was ~$1800.  I have pasted my invoice analysis below; let me know if it does not come through email and I can post the file to Yahoo.

        Rudder Bearing LaborUnbolt quadrant and packing flange4.00 $65.00 $260.00
        Drop Rudder6.00 65.00 390.00
        Remove Old Bearing1.25 65.00 81.25
        Machine New Bearing1.00 125.00 125.00
        Test Fit Rudder with Bearing1.00 65.00 65.00
        Install Rudder9.50 65.00 617.50
        Total Rudder Labor22.75  $1,538.75
        Rudder Bearing MaterialsVesconite Bearing1.00 168.75 168.75
        Shipping1.00 21.35 21.35
        Flax Packing3.00 1.65 4.95
        Set Screws2.00 0.90 1.80
        Total Rudder Parts and Mats7.00  $196.85

        On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM, andersenhans15 <hansandsharon@...> wrote:

        Hi Fellow J 28 Sailors,
        The rudder on my J 28 has some fore and aft play, I am looking for some info on how to go about getting the material to do the repair or replacing of the bearing.
        I have hull #4 so it is one of the first made, the boat has always been in fresh water, so that may explain that the problem only shows up now,
        Any information will be appreciated.
        Hans.
        J 28 "Last Dance"

      • Bob Ryan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2010
          I am the midst of a rudder bearing fiasco with my yard that did the job last Spring.  I was originally quoted $1K in labor + parts.  I didn't know what "parts" would mean until I got a $3K bill which including about $1K in custom parts and $2K in labor.  If this were not shocking enough, the yard did a *terrible* job where the wheel barely moved (roughly analogous to having the steering brake on).  Why I even took possession of the the boat is beyond me.  Last weekend, the steering cable broke while leaving the mooring (I suppose it could have been much, much worse), probably because the load was too great.   Supposedly, it is now "fixed" by virtual of shaving down the bearings for a 3rd time.  This remains to be seen & the bill has not yet been paid.  This thing has been such a fiasco.  As bad as it was originally, I would not have fixed the rudder if I had known the true cost.

          My advice to anyone reading this - is be careful.  Others in this forum have had similar troubles in replacing their rudder bearings (also too tight).   There are a lot of things I like about the J/28 - but not the rudder.

          On the plus side this season, I replaced the mainsail with a flatter sail.  What a difference.  The boat is no longer being overpowered.

          Good luck,

          Bob
          "Verve" (#24)

          On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Jason Smith <jason3317@...> wrote:

[...]

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2010

          • hansandsharon@aim.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2010
              Hi Jason,
              do You know the size of the Flax Packing for the Rudder Beating on The J28?
              It was this site but I can't find it
              Hans,
              "Last Dance"