Re: First Sail/Race

  • Lenny
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2010
      Roy: I'm pleased that things are going so well for you folks. The boat was certainly due for a new stereo, and now I know (not being a Buffet fan) where "Barefoot Children" comes from.

      Speaking of music, our J/40 is named WATERMUSIC, after the Handel suite, which is wonderful to play underway in the right conditions. It's actually WATERMUSIC VII, but I didn't put the numbers on the transom. (I wanted to call it RUFFIAN, but my wife insisted on our well-worn name as a condition of buying the boat, and I willingly acquiesced.)

      My annual schedule is such that May tends to be very busy, sometimes spilling over into early June, and then I have lots of free time until late August. So, I never get my boats into the water before around June 10th. That date is probably realistic for the J/40, but I'm hoping it can "kiss the salt" a few days earlier. We'll see.

      I sailed the J/40 once, on the "delivery" from Camden to Rockland, a distance of about 10 miles, but it was in light air. The J/40 has a reputation as a great sailing boat, so I am eager to give it a good workout. I hope to take it down to Nantucket later in the summer, so maybe we can meet up on the southern Maine coast.

      Cheers to all -- Lenny